jclalor

Patriotism and Fox News

Stumpy

If someone feels they have the right to chastize my son for a clothing choice I'm going to tell them where to go whether they are a mall cop or not. The mall cop should be off doing something useful.

no argument here. it's pretty much equivalent to someone walking up to you and giving you grief for throwing your soda can in the wrong trash recepticle. But, the kid thinks he's old enough to try and "make a statement", then he needs to be ready to deal with someone that has the exact same attitude about putting their own and opposite opinion out right back at them.

For me in that situation? I'm not going to 'tell them where to go' unless they cross those lines I mentioned, but that also includes them being overly verbally aggressive. I'll look at my kid and say "your clothing choice, this is your debate". But then watch the other person to make sure he's not a wacko.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think actually in this case if the guy WASN'T a mall cop, I have less of a problem with it. As a mall cop, he is in a position of "authority" and by definition in this case he is abusing it.

Regardless, I'd still help defend my hypothetical son (I have one, but he's only 1, not 15!) given that he was being "chastized" by someone who should know better, he's a minor, and might be quite intimidated by an adult having a go at him.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

>respecting the feelings of others that might have a different opinion than you (such as
>packing up a flag in a private setting) is not a negative thing.

Agreed. However, saying that placing it on the ground is disrespectful - and then packing it on the ground because it's easier than getting a tarp or a table - is a negative thing. It's like someone who rails on other people about wasting gas, then drives home in their Cadillac Escalade from the rally.

You want to hide your Escalade from all the Earth Day types because it might offend them? No problem. It might show respect for their feelings. You want to lecture them on how driving a gas guzzler is disrespectful to the Earth, then drive home in one? That's a bit worse.

Stumpy

I think actually in this case if the guy WASN'T a mall cop, I have less of a problem with it. As a mall cop, he is in a position of "authority" and by definition in this case he is abusing it.

Well, if anybody is to have authority over fashion, perhaps it should be a mall cop...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Stumpy

Regardless, I'd still help defend my hypothetical son (I have one, but he's only 1, not 15!) given that he was being "chastized" by someone who should know better, he's a minor, and might be quite intimidated by an adult having a go at him.

meh - a mall cop is just a civilian

but I won't disagree, your 1 year should be defended from verbal confrontation, especially if you are the one that dressed him -

but - by the time he's 15, and if he's one that picks stuff just to get a reaction, you might change your mind by then and just observe first, before stepping in, to see how he handles himself with how others react to his choices - in fact, I bet you do, you don't come across as a coddler, your kid will be well adjusted enough to deal with debate for sure

all bets are off though, if the person get hostile or physical, then I don't care how old my kid is.....I step up

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

billvon

and then packing it on the ground because it's easier than getting a tarp or a table - is a negative thing.

and, getting both of you dressed up in your Navy Blues, let alone getting the bugle players, just to fold the thing....it's a bit hard on the demo budget

and forget about the mandatory jet flyover

billvon

>respecting the feelings of others that might have a different opinion than you (such as
>packing up a flag in a private setting) is not a negative thing.

Agreed. However, saying that placing it on the ground is disrespectful - and then packing it on the ground because it's easier than getting a tarp or a table - is a negative thing. It's like someone who rails on other people about wasting gas, then drives home in their Cadillac Escalade from the rally.

You want to hide your Escalade from all the Earth Day types because it might offend them? No problem. It might show respect for their feelings. You want to lecture them on how driving a gas guzzler is disrespectful to the Earth, then drive home in one? That's a bit worse.

In this case, it would be more like lecturing a bratty teen on how it's disrespectful to drive their brand new sweet 16 gas guzzler gift into a wall because they hate their "denier" parents...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

RonD1120

Your post clearly indicates that you have no clue as to how Americans think or why we behave as we do. You are on the outside looking in and simply do not understand what you observe.

I'm an American.

Yes Ron, you are an American. What you fail to understand though is Americans are not homogenous. There are many other Americans who share very, very few of your beliefs and attitudes, and their americanism and their patriotism is just as valid as yours (if not more so, if it's based on valuing people, laws and equality rather than som stars and some stripes).

And still, anyone who sheds blood for a flag is fucked up.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

RonD1120

Depends

If I am representing the PGR I would most certainly restrain myself unless the WBC committed an assault.

In the latter situation, well...depends.

I'm surprised you haven't made an effort to grow out of such adolescent behaviour.

You apparently have not made large flag demos. The flags in question are 625, 864 and 1200+ sq ft. Tarps and tables that size are not available.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jakee

***Your post clearly indicates that you have no clue as to how Americans think or why we behave as we do. You are on the outside looking in and simply do not understand what you observe.

I'm an American.

Yes Ron, you are an American. What you fail to understand though is Americans are not homogenous. There are many other Americans who share very, very few of your beliefs and attitudes, and their americanism and their patriotism is just as valid as yours (if not more so, if it's based on valuing people, laws and equality rather than som stars and some stripes).

And still, anyone who sheds blood for a flag is fucked up.

I understand you and I are on opposite sides of the ocean and ideals.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jakee

***Depends

If I am representing the PGR I would most certainly restrain myself unless the WBC committed an assault.

In the latter situation, well...depends.

I'm surprised you haven't made an effort to grow out of such adolescent behaviour.

No you are not surprised.

Brits have nothing to post about their country, politics, attractions, etc. They only attack Americans, our ideals, politics, etc.

IMO, that is the case because England is a fucking boring place to live.

Brits have nothing to post about their country, politics, attractions, etc. They only attack Americans, our ideals, politics, etc

You couldn't play ignorant American more if you tried.

kallend

******But when my son was harassed by a mall cop for wearing a hat with an upside down flag on it, I was pissed.

It's a rude thing to do, what your son did, and just designed to elicit exactly that response. Once you were done with the cop (as any good mother would)..... Were you just as pissed at your son or use the situation to have that discussion with him?

I'd be ok with the mall cop (or anyone else, including a 'real' cop) if his response was strictly verbally stating his opinion on the hat and chastizing your son for his disrespect.

So if I had a flag on my helmet and I was backflying, you'd think it rude and disrespectful?

If it's the Union Jack, who could tell?

winsor

*********But when my son was harassed by a mall cop for wearing a hat with an upside down flag on it, I was pissed.

It's a rude thing to do, what your son did, and just designed to elicit exactly that response. Once you were done with the cop (as any good mother would)..... Were you just as pissed at your son or use the situation to have that discussion with him?

I'd be ok with the mall cop (or anyone else, including a 'real' cop) if his response was strictly verbally stating his opinion on the hat and chastizing your son for his disrespect.

So if I had a flag on my helmet and I was backflying, you'd think it rude and disrespectful?

The UJ is just an embellished rebel flag anyway.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

************But when my son was harassed by a mall cop for wearing a hat with an upside down flag on it, I was pissed.

The UJ is just an embellished rebel flag anyway.

Rebelling from what? The Vikings? :P
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

SkyDekker

Brits have nothing to post about their country, politics, attractions, etc. They only attack Americans, our ideals, politics, etc

Indeed. For example, BBC has this story about how the election in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire is really heating up. Meanwhile, CBC.ca News this week has a pic of Stephen Harper joining Canadian Rangers in target practice in Nanavut with their standard-issue Lee-Enfields. Pretty timely stuff.

I have to admit I don't quite understand why the Canadians and Brits in here don't post more stuff about, well, Canada and Britain. It is, after all, an international website.

Andy9o8

I have to admit I don't quite understand why the Canadians and Brits in here don't post more stuff about, well, Canada and Britain. It is, after all, an international website.

Now, now. I think there are couple of us Canuckleheads that do just that. And some of us try, with a modicam of success, to avoid the "see how great my American political party/god/patriotism/gun/military/dick" debates that rage here, ad nauseum.

J

Andy9o8

Indeed. For example, BBC has this story about how the election in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire is really heating up. Meanwhile, CBC.ca News this week has a pic of Stephen Harper joining Canadian Rangers in target practice in Nanavut with their standard-issue Lee-Enfields. Pretty timely stuff.

I watched Foyle's War last night. I also watched The White Queen, Elizabeth 1 (with Helen Mirren) and some old Monty Python in the last month. Even my Louisiana born wife prefers Brit stuff.

Then there are the Stones, Beatles, Who, Clapton, Cream, Kinks, Pink Floyd...

There really isn't much more to say about excellent TV, acting, rock music....

When it's mediocre it generates much more discussion.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I watched Foyle's War last night. I also watched The White Queen, Elizabeth 1 (with Helen Mirren) and some old Monty Python in the last month. Even my Louisiana born wife prefers Brit stuff.

As do I. Except for Orphan Black. Which is Canadian.

Then there are the Stones, Beatles, Who, Clapton, Cream, Kinks, Pink Floyd...

All of whom stole their shit from American bluesmen.
Reparations, please.

That said, there's a national election campaign going on in the Yoo-Kay. Yet nary a word on these hallowed boards. There are riots in South Africa over xenophobia. Ditto. The silence is deafening.

That said, there's a national election campaign going on in the Yoo-Kay. Yet nary a word on these hallowed boards.

It's just deeply uninspiring. Neither party has put out a manifesto they'll keep a word of or a budget with any numbers in so you can vote for either two and you don't really have any clue what they're going to do or if they'll be any different from each other. Then the media has become so obsessed with 'balance' that they're filling half the airwaves with minority parties that, with the best will in the world, are irrelevant sideshows (I swear I've heard UKIP spokesmen being interviewed on morning Five Live more than Labour and Tory combined) and the other half they spend discussing whether the regional seperatist parties will be able to get into a coalition government and funnel all our money to wales and scotland.

In short, it's all the content free cartoon politics of the USA without any of the bombast and over-hyped grandeur that makes it at all interesting.

>You apparently have not made large flag demos. The flags in question are 625, 864 and
>1200+ sq ft.

We took a 1000 square foot flag into a field near Otay. We had to use a tandem rig to carry the weight, including 40 pounds of ballast.

billvon

>You apparently have not made large flag demos. The flags in question are 625, 864 and
>1200+ sq ft.

We took a 1000 square foot flag into a field near Otay. We had to use a tandem rig to carry the weight, including 40 pounds of ballast.

So, you know the problem. Why did you rag on me? Oh wait, the object is to attack at all opportunity, justified or not. Right, liberals, got it.

Like I said, check with Airtwardo. Time to move on.

RonD1120

***>You apparently have not made large flag demos. The flags in question are 625, 864 and
>1200+ sq ft.

So, you know the problem. Why did you rag on me? Oh wait, the object is to attack at all opportunity, justified or not. Right, liberals, got it.

Like I said, check with Airtwardo. Time to move on.

DUDE.... do you wander around your house before going to bed... you just never know.. one of those people you label as a liberal could be hiding in a closet...... or under your bed..be sure to check the garage too........ you just never know when one of them might attack your perception of a very limited world....