quade

What Corporate Cowardice Looks Like

quade

That is pretty much the definition of a loss of freedom of speech.

nowhere in this did the US government violate a citizen's speech

However, I can see your point in terms that the US government managed to not (immediately?) respond in a way that Sony and these other companies don't feel comfy that they were protected to 'speak' in terms of marketing and selling their product.

I think it's a stretch, but I get your point. I'm more in line with Dekker on this one though.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

***Bullshit. The movie has been made, the expression has taken place.

If a movie is made and no one can see it, does it make a sound?

If someone stands on a box and rants about (whatever) and no one shows up to listen to him. Is his freedom to speak violated?

(crappy analogy, but I'm getting to end of my meeting and wanting to go home)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

***Bullshit. The movie has been made, the expression has taken place.

If a movie is made and no one can see it, does it make a sound?

Too bad that doesn't happen to Adam Sandler films.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the US government managed to not (immediately?) respond in a way that Sony and these other companies don't feel comfy that they were protected to 'speak' in terms of marketing and selling their product.

This is the point I've been making while talking to people about it: I think the President should exercise the leadership to publicly shame them: "I acknowledge that these production and theater companies are within their prerogatives, but I want to state clearly that I am very disappointed in their decision." Let's see how much their shareholders would like that to happen.

Oh well, at least he's a commie moozlim, so I'll live with half a loaf.

quade

***I don't agree with the decision, but it has absolutely zilch to do with your constitution or freedom of speech.

An outside entity was able to do millions of dollars worth of damage to a corporation.......... .

:D:D

It happens all the damned time!!!

You just don't happen to like this one
Remember pink slim?
How about Alar and apples
Or Opra and beef?
Same reason we got so many wind turbines
How about hiring when companies are forced to look at race and not talent?

Get off it Paul
Been going on for years
Just another example

Oh
and the ONLY reason SONY is caving is because their dirty racist laundry is getting aired and these elitist liberal bastards cant handle that happening
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

We already know Sony threatened any outlet that re-posted any of hacked material. Here is why Sony is really in a panic.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/sony-hack-angelina-jolie-branded-seriously-out-of-her-mind-in-further-embarrassing-leaked-email-thread-9932691.html

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/12/18/sony-hack-studio-warned-not-to-cast-denzel-washington-due-to-his-race/

this has little to do with the movie other than is sparked the hackers

Dont like my picks
Look at your own

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=sony+hacked+emails+show+racism&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001
Abraham Lincoln

And it wasn't Sony really, it was the movie theatres who caved and decided not to show it. Probably on the advice of their lawyers.

This, I suspect, is the key. And if I were a corporate attorney for one of these movie theater chains, I'd have given the same advice. As I understand it, the feds have determined that the hacks and threats came from North Korea, or people the North Koreans hired.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/18/us-government-saw-interview-approved-theaters-upping-security/

You don't fuck with the North Koreans. If one of these chains showed the movie and a theater got blown up on Christmas, the lawsuits would never end. The theater company would be utterly ruined. Not to mention the hundreds or thousands of people killed. You just can't gamble with people's lives by showing that movie. The movie never should have been made, and it had to be pulled.

I get the freedom of speech arguments, and I hate that this happened. Yes, you have the freedom to poke a sleeping bear with a stick. But the First Amendment won't protect you when the bear wakes up and takes a swipe at you.

George Clooney has some strong opinions on this: http://deadline.com/2014/12/george-clooney-sony-hollywood-cowardice-north-korea-cyberattack-petition-1201329988/

"We cannot be told we can’t see something by Kim Jong-un, of all f*cking people."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

Sony Attack: Carmike Cinemas Won’t Screen ‘The Interview’

Carmike Cinemas has bailed out on showing Sony’s comedy “The Interview.”

The theater chain is the first to take up Sony’s offer to distributors to pull “The Interview” if they desire in advance of its wide release this Christmas. Sony remains committed to the planned opening.

Multiplex owners were caught by surprise Tuesday after hackers evoked the memory of 9/11 while threatening theaters that play the comedy about an attempted assassination of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.

The Carmike chain, based in Georgia, has 2,623 screens domestically — most of them in rural and suburban areas of the South.

Source: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-fallout-carmike-cinemas-wont-screen-the-interview-1201381251/

I would urge all my friends in the south to make it known that Carmike caved and let the terrorists win this one. Additionally, they've opened the door to countless other nutjobs with anonymous internet accounts who would also make threats.

As to the points you make in this particular post?
I totally agree
Thugs need to be stood up to
My point is that ALL thugs whether internal or external should be treated the same
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

You must get some amazing weed.
Or tin foil.
I'm not sure which.

I am sure you are not sure
Abraham Lincoln

AndyBoyd

You don't fuck with the North Koreans. If one of these chains showed the movie and a theater got blown up on Christmas, the lawsuits would never end. The theater company would be utterly ruined. Not to mention the hundreds or thousands of people killed. You just can't gamble with people's lives by showing that movie. The movie never should have been made, and it had to be pulled.

I get the freedom of speech arguments, and I hate that this happened. Yes, you have the freedom to poke a sleeping bear with a stick. But the First Amendment won't protect you when the bear wakes up and takes a swipe at you.

This is the civil angle of a criminal issue I was talking about the other day.

In that case, if you have to forego select rights to be legally allowed to do more and more things, you less and less actually have those rights. In this case, as the civil liability bar is lowered to include failing to heed less and less specific threats prior to exercising free speech, you less and less have the right to free speech.

The tag-team version of this is finding it in the best public interest to require insurance in order to receive a permit to legally do more and more things.

Interesting. Given the things that the DPRK has pulled in the past, I have to wonder what kind of response this will generate.
They sank a ROK naval ship, they cross the DMZ on a fairly regular basis, they pull a lot of shit with pretty much zero consequences.

From a strictly "vengeful and angry" point of view, it'd be nice to see a drone strike on something important, say a naval base.

I don't really think that would be a good idea, and I highly doubt that anything that drastic will happen.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Interesting. Given the things that the DPRK has pulled in the past, I have to wonder what kind of response this will generate.
They sank a ROK naval ship, they cross the DMZ on a fairly regular basis, they pull a lot of shit with pretty much zero consequences.

From a strictly "vengeful and angry" point of view, it'd be nice to see a drone strike on something important, say a naval base.

I don't really think that would be a good idea, and I highly doubt that anything that drastic will happen.

Actually I think we need to re-name this thread What US Foreign Policy Cowardice Looks Like.

Eventually we'll need to finish what we started in 1951.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Sorry to be so obtuse. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I do agree that this case hits freedom of speech hard. And I agree that we shouldn't back down so easily. But like I said, fucking with the North Koreans is a really bad idea. You poke a sleeping bear with a sharp stick, look out. Whatever happens after that is on you. And at you.

AndyBoyd

Sorry to be so obtuse. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I do agree that this case hits freedom of speech hard. And I agree that we shouldn't back down so easily. But like I said, fucking with the North Koreans is a really bad idea. You poke a sleeping bear with a sharp stick, look out. Whatever happens after that is on you. And at you.

Or you proceed as normal and decree any act taken on US soil surrounding this will be considered a direct act of war by the North Koreans.

And then fucking follow through...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

AndyBoyd

You poke a sleeping bear with a sharp stick, look out.

Less like a sleeping bear, and more like one of those yappy little chihuahuas that never shuts up.

Has anyone ever heard of them *physically* doing anything other than fucking with South Korea or grabbing an American ship near/in their territorial waters? Launching attacks inside another country half way around the world just doesn't sound like their style.