SkyDekker

First Ebola Diagnosis in US

wolfriverjoe

The news reports I've seen today say that the fever didn't spike until after she got home. She wasn't symptomatic while in Ohio, or on the plane ride back.

But, of course, they are disinfecting the entire plane.

It's a shame Cvfd's travel legislation was never enacted. They could have tracked her from the hospital and stopped the plane from ever leaving Texas.:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

cvfd1399

Second nurse went to visit friends and family in Ohio, when she returned she started getting the fever and was admitted. Look out Ohio......

Apparently she violated the rules.

www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us/ebola-outbreak-texas.html?_r=0

Clearly Obama should have read her mind and stopped her from boarding the plane.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

cvfd1399

Yea but when does it exactly become infectious? The start of fever, the middle of fever, exactly 30 seconds before fever. My point being she was in ohio with other people, and was isolated when she got home.

Well, from the story Professor Kallend linked (post 2 below yours) about her:

Dr. Frieden stressed that the passengers were a low-risk group. Because Ms. Vinson did not have a fever and did not have nausea or vomiting on the plane, the risk “to any around that individual on the plane would have been extremely low,” he said.

That is referring to the others on the plane ride from Ohio back to Texas.

Everyone who is freaking out seems to ignore how Ebola is transmitted, and how little risk is associated with casual contact.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Recovery from Ebola depends on good supportive clinical care and a patient’s immune response. Available evidence shows that people who recover from Ebola infection develop antibodies that last for at least 10 years, possibly longer.

Wait so that doctor that had it and was cured could be a real life super hero, and could travel all over africa curing people while immune! B|

wolfriverjoe

***Yea but when does it exactly become infectious? The start of fever, the middle of fever, exactly 30 seconds before fever. My point being she was in ohio with other people, and was isolated when she got home.

Well, from the story Professor Kallend linked (post 2 below yours) about her:

Dr. Frieden stressed that the passengers were a low-risk group. Because Ms. Vinson did not have a fever and did not have nausea or vomiting on the plane, the risk “to any around that individual on the plane would have been extremely low,” he said.

That is referring to the others on the plane ride from Ohio back to Texas.

Everyone who is freaking out seems to ignore how Ebola is transmitted, and how little risk is associated with casual contact.

Yeah, Dr. Frieden backed up Obama on this by confirming that you can't catch Ebola on a bus (maybe includes airplanes, too?) Frieden also said that if you are sick with Ebola you shouldn't get on a bus because you might expose someone else (who, as we now know, can't catch Ebola on that bus.) So, riding buses (maybe airplanes, too) is safe. Maybe not. Either way, Frieden said don't worry about it.

Disclaimer: I'm really only sure about riding on buses. The airplane thing is only a guess. Ride in airplanes at your own risk.

billvon

> If the hospital does not provide the proper protective gear AND training, the
>hospital staff needs to refuse to directly interact with any Ebola patient.

"Sorry, we don't have the facilities to treat you here. You'll just have to wait in the lobby until our CDC grant comes through. What? You don't want to? Well, the number 5 bus stops at the mall every half hour; that's just down the block . . ."

"You'll need to go to our quarantine/isolation area. Put these sensors on yourself and we'll monitor/talk/treat to you through an intercom."

Yes, people may risk exposure to get them into isolation, regardless of proper protective clothing or hazmat suits available, but once there and those that were possibly exposed also isolated no one else has to be put at risk.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

cvfd1399

Can't believe they were not under some special isolation anyway.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/15/nurses-protest-ebola/17302987/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

So, a PRIVATE hospital in Texas screws up. Clearly Obama's fault.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wolfriverjoe

Yes, the risk is low. And yet, if I had just spent many days treating one of the few active cases in the country, I'd be disinclined to go visit my friends and family. And the day after the other primary nurse became symptomatic and my temperature seemed slightly elevated, I would not get on a public plane.

I say bullshit on CDC- they say that and gave recommendations to the hospital of basic PPEs for exposure contact. When the nurses expressed concern over exposed skin the hospital administration told them to put tape over their necks....what bullshit. But then CDC wears full protection themselves.
If the infected person sneezes it can be in the droplets.....
I'd call that AIRBORNE.

It doesn't meet the standard to be classified as truly "airborne."

About halfway down, under "How you can't get Ebola on a plane:

"If a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person's eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease." This happens rarely and usually only affects health workers or those caring for the sick.
So the possibility of transmission on a plane by coughing or sneezing exists — but it is small. It would have to go something like this: An Ebola patient would have to cough on the hand of the person sitting next to them, releasing some amount of mucus or saliva. The person being coughed on would then have to (say) rub his or her eye with that hand, allowing the disease into the body.

Source:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/can-you-get-ebola-on-a-plane/ar-BB8xR9W

You'd have to ingest the fluids produced by the sneeze (or get them in your eyes, nose, open sores, or "other places") to get sick.

The nurses were dealing with vomit, diarrhea, sweat, blood, ect.
From someone who is full of the virus.

That level of exposure to fluids that are that highly contaminated is dangerous. The hospital screwed up.

The rest of us are pretty safe.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

About halfway down, under "How you can't get Ebola on a plane:

So the possibility of transmission on a plane by coughing or sneezing exists — but it is small.

Did that author take lessons from some of our SC posters? You can't get ebola, or the possibility exists?

I see the immediate neighbors at potential risk, along with the flight attendants. Sneeze onto napkin, hand to attendant. Obviously the FA would be the worst case scenario - I suspect they'll all be grounded for the next month thanks to the nurse.

>The way the CDC keeps changing their line really bothers me.

I don't think they are changing their line. It's a complex issue, like the issues surrounding radiation exposure.

"Can I get cancer from a dental X-ray?"
"Not really. The energy is very low. You are at greater risk for cancer sunbathing."
"Can any ionizing radiation cause cancer?"
"Yes, in theory."
"YOU LIED!"

Iago

***Second nurse went to visit friends and family in Ohio, when she returned she started getting the fever and was admitted. Look out Ohio......

Future health workers caring for Ebola patients can thank Nurse Schmuckatelli for their mandatory supervised quarantine.

Update: this morning it's reported that she actually called the CDC - and they gave her clearance to fly. Sigh.

Andy9o8

******Second nurse went to visit friends and family in Ohio, when she returned she started getting the fever and was admitted. Look out Ohio......

Future health workers caring for Ebola patients can thank Nurse Schmuckatelli for their mandatory supervised quarantine.

Update: this morning it's reported that she actually called the CDC - and they gave her clearance to fly. Sigh.

Why, why did she have to fly and visit my area? This is ridiculous. Now we have a school closing because someone was on the same plane after the TX nurse. And some local nurses were on the same flight. Just fucking great. The media is having a great time.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

From the Brimfield Police Chief http://brimfieldpolice.com/

Dear Centers of Disease Control,
Well…I might as well join the crowd, I guess. I am not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Since everyone in the government and press is firing up all of our friends over the Ebola cases, I thought that a small town police chief without a medical degree would offer some leadership to your organization. Heaven forbid someone in the government takes a leadership role. Gasp!
By the very name of your organization, you folks control diseases. I have to ask a question, and risk sounding argumentative. Here it goes.
You all REALLY could not isolate and control ONE case of Ebola? It was ONE case on U.S. soil. One!! You are the Centers for Disease CONTROL!!! Now, local authorities are being deluged with calls and have to do your work. That is just fine. We are accustomed to it. It is typical federal behavior. Pass the problem downwards, refuse blame and take credit. I have seen it hundreds of times in my career. No worries. I will offer some facts for the public, as if it were my job.
Ebola is a disease named for the Ebola River in Africa. One of the early cases was near the river. It is transmitted through contact with the body fluids of an infected person or animal. In an illness situation, since there is not usually a lot of smooching going on, we will say do not touch the regurgitation , feces or blood of one who has the disease.
Outbreaks occur every so often and the disease has killed a somewhere around 4,000 people since the discovery in the mid 1970s. As a comparison, about 2,100 people have died from lightning strikes during the same time period. People doing their own home electric work accounted for 5,240 deaths in that period. Animals have killed approximately 9,320 people since the mid 1970s. So, while I have a healthy respect for death, I am more likely to be killed by an elephant or reticulated python than Ebola. Nevertheless, the constant barrage of Ebola information and your inability to control ONE CASE of this illness has everyone on edge.
Here is my plan for stopping this nonsense. Use what you will.
1) Stop flying people here from infected countries. It sounds simple to me. Oh...LIberia to Dallas flight? Cancelled.
2) Isolate the cases you have and listen to your nurses. They are the folks who work most closely with patients. The doctors spend about five seconds with a patient. They sashay in, look around and then leave. It is an expensive runway walk, believe me. Nurses are the police officers of the Ebola world. You all are the congressmen.
3) Stop changing the story. The American people are suspicious by nature, because we have a 200+ year history of the government lying and engaging in cover up. You made that culture, so you have to live with it. Tell us the truth and stop changing the story. The truth is the truth. It is non-negotiable.
Carry on….Chief Oliver.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

From the Brimfield Police Chief http://brimfieldpolice.com/

Dear Centers of Disease Control,
Well…I might as well join the crowd, I guess. I am not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Since everyone in the government and press is firing up all of our friends over the Ebola cases, I thought that a small town police chief without a medical degree would offer some leadership to your organization. Heaven forbid someone in the government takes a leadership role. Gasp!
By the very name of your organization, you folks control diseases. I have to ask a question, and risk sounding argumentative. Here it goes.
You all REALLY could not isolate and control ONE case of Ebola? It was ONE case on U.S. soil. One!! You are the Centers for Disease CONTROL!!! Now, local authorities are being deluged with calls and have to do your work. That is just fine. We are accustomed to it. It is typical federal behavior. Pass the problem downwards, refuse blame and take credit. I have seen it hundreds of times in my career. No worries. I will offer some facts for the public, as if it were my job.
Ebola is a disease named for the Ebola River in Africa. One of the early cases was near the river. It is transmitted through contact with the body fluids of an infected person or animal. In an illness situation, since there is not usually a lot of smooching going on, we will say do not touch the regurgitation , feces or blood of one who has the disease.
Outbreaks occur every so often and the disease has killed a somewhere around 4,000 people since the discovery in the mid 1970s. As a comparison, about 2,100 people have died from lightning strikes during the same time period. People doing their own home electric work accounted for 5,240 deaths in that period. Animals have killed approximately 9,320 people since the mid 1970s. So, while I have a healthy respect for death, I am more likely to be killed by an elephant or reticulated python than Ebola. Nevertheless, the constant barrage of Ebola information and your inability to control ONE CASE of this illness has everyone on edge.
Here is my plan for stopping this nonsense. Use what you will.
1) Stop flying people here from infected countries. It sounds simple to me. Oh...LIberia to Dallas flight? Cancelled.
2) Isolate the cases you have and listen to your nurses. They are the folks who work most closely with patients. The doctors spend about five seconds with a patient. They sashay in, look around and then leave. It is an expensive runway walk, believe me. Nurses are the police officers of the Ebola world. You all are the congressmen.
3) Stop changing the story. The American people are suspicious by nature, because we have a 200+ year history of the government lying and engaging in cover up. You made that culture, so you have to live with it. Tell us the truth and stop changing the story. The truth is the truth. It is non-negotiable.
Carry on….Chief Oliver.

I think that as long as Chief Oliver doesn't have a 0 crime rate in his area, and no unsolved cases, he probably shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

Second, stopping direct flights would accomplish nothing. I know this may sound odd, but people can transfer planes.

If you are proposing full quarantine of any area with infected people. Please do let me know how you are going to quarantine everybody in Texas and Ohio.

>1) Stop flying people here from infected countries. It sounds simple to me.
>Oh...LIberia to Dallas flight? Cancelled.

That's been done. There are currently no direct flights from West Africa to the US, and most airlines have cancelled their flights from West Africa.

You've obviously never visited Brimfield, OH. But let me get this straight...you don't think the CDC has mishandled this as badly as the Ferguson PD?

Anyone with half a brain knows that the chances of contracting Ebola are astronomically remote and yet here we are. If you missed contracting AIDS you have a real good chance. Problem is the other half of the country (liberals without a college education ;)) with less than a half brain is afraid.

When you have no leadership this is what you get. Yes...I said it. This clusterfuck could have been completely avoided if Barry had demonstrated some basic leadership. This is something libs haven't yet learned from Reagan. Call him what you like but he was a leader...he made people feel like it was going to be OK. Now we're just one big community needing organization.[:/]

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

You've obviously never visited Brimfield, OH. But let me get this straight...you don't think the CDC has mishandled this as badly as the Ferguson PD?

Anyone with half a brain knows that the chances of contracting Ebola are astronomically remote and yet here we are. If you missed contracting AIDS you have a real good chance. Problem is the other half of the country (liberals without a college education ;)) with less than a half brain is afraid.

When you have no leadership this is what you get. Yes...I said it. This clusterfuck could have been completely avoided if Barry had demonstrated some basic leadership. This is something libs haven't yet learned from Reagan. Call him what you like but he was a leader...he made people feel like it was going to be OK. Now we're just one big community needing organization.[:/]

Yes I do think the CDC has mishandled this. Yes, I also think the CDC has responsibility.

What I don't understand is how people who want the federal government out of almost everything, are first to blame and look to the federal government when things go wrong. Hospitals should be run like a business, free market should dictate everything.

A hospital run like a business in a fully privatized health care envrionment fucked this up royally and now people are turning to the Fed with expectations of protection.

he made people feel like it was going to be OK.

Here I thought conservatives in the US were all about personal responsibility and not relying on the federal government for their wellbeing?

The whole thing is a fine example of wanting money saved, reduced oversight, lower taxes, less regulations, untill it effects them personally. Then they start screaming about how the federal government has let them down. Ironically this statement is then often used as reasoning for reducing the role of the federal government even further.