mirage62

Where's the outrage, the activist???

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-kass-met-0924-20140923-column.html

Can someone make this a clicky?

We seem to have a lot of questionable police actions lately but where is the outrage over this? He was hit SIX times!!!??

I realize that Sharpton and others only retain power when they really stir the pot, but other than Bill Crosby where is the moral outrage?

I fully understand that you can find white on white crime but not at the same level. You can blame that blacks are profiled (they are) you can claim that they come from a higher percentage of broken homes (they do) and they don't make enough money.......

But WHY is there an acceptance of this? Worse yet why don't people care as much????
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Hey mirage,

When you post, look just below the box where you type things in. There is a row of buttons: reply, quote, b, u, i, email, and url. Click the "url" button, paste your link, then click "url" again (it will have changed to /url).

Don

I couldn't read it either. What was the upshot? Or did it come from some wire service where we can read it? As far as markup, yeah it's nice, but unless you do that all the time it really doesn't matter.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

mirage62

The story was about a young black child in Chicago that was shot dead - 6 bullets struck the child! Shot by a black man, w a long criminal history.

Why is race an issue?

Unless you are trying to say that because they are black noone gives a fuck. . . problem is, I do GAF>:( . . .

But what can I do?[:/]

I'm not the kids Parent . . . who holds them accountable?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LiveAction

I think this is the story he's talking about:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-4-people-in-custody-for-slaying-of-boy-9-police-say-20140919-story.html
No subscription required.

I haven't heard of any outraged blacks rioting in the streets either...

I guess it was pretty obvious . . . OR - I pre judged - but was right.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My point was not to attack African Americans as a group, my point was that this type of thing is happening A LOT and the leaders of the African American community are not remotely attempting to address this issue.....unless you totally believe that the problems that Sharpton and others REGULARLY speak on cause these sort of things.

Insane..... this kid gets mowed down and yet nothing......what is going on????

mirage62

My point was not to attack African Americans as a group, my point was that this type of thing is happening A LOT and the leaders of the African American community are not remotely attempting to address this issue.....unless you totally believe that the problems that Sharpton and others REGULARLY speak on cause these sort of things.

Insane..... this kid gets mowed down and yet nothing......what is going on????

I'm not going to take the time to googlesearch it for links now, but seems to me it's pretty frequent that there are black clergy sermonizing against violence in their communities, or ad-hoc coalition of black moms and grandmoms organizing vigils to protest such violence, etc. And there's the outrage. Most of the time, it gets reported on the local level. Just because it's not on your radar doesn't mean it's not there.

p.s. - who gives a shit what Sharpton does or does not do? He doesn't represent the majority of the black community; like, say, Pelosi, he's far more valuable to the far right as a "target symbol" than to anyone else.

>We seem to have a lot of questionable police actions lately but where is the
>outrage over this?

Well, in the article for one.

Another is local pastor Michael Pfleger: ""We're outraged because when you shoot a 9-year-old in a dead-end alley, it is indeed an execution. It is a hit. It is not an accident. Whatever the message you were trying to send, we got your message, and you better get our message...If you kill a child in our neighborhood, you are a terrorist."

From his Facebook page: "I am just as OUTRAGED ABOUT A NINE YEAR OLD BOY SHOT MULTIPLE TIMES RIGHT HERE IN CHICAGO AND THE OTHER 8 WOUNDED LAST NIGHT!!! We in Chicago ought to be just as vocal...The MURDERING of our Children is Unacceptable Anywhere, Anytime."

And he puts his money where his mouth is; he offered a $13,500 bounty for the name of the killer.

Kawana Hodges is also outraged. "Silence is what's killing everybody. To not say, you may as well have handed the gun over. You may as well have supplied the bullets. Anybody that does know anything, don't be silent about it 'cause that same person who was a monster could victimize you or your kids."

Garry McCarthy, superintendent of police says the entire community was outraged. "Our investigators initially had very little to work with, but the nature of this murder, that a 9-year-old boy could be gunned down in cold blood, outraged
the community."

That seems like a lot of outrage.

I agree with the author that lawmakers should set, and courts should enforce, serious penalties for firearms crimes.

Really.

Tell you what, google Sharpton and Jackson. They show up at every shooting that makes national news. Show me the out reach programs they have put into place to help with this terrible problem. Let's google black on black murder rate and then let's look at the Sunday morning talk shows to see how often this is the main topic.

I don't have a solution and any death by shooting is terrible but to me this is an issue that is being largely ignored because it is politically incorrect to even discuss it.

Police shooting ARE PC and get tons of press (and they sb investigated and the police punished when appropriate) but inappropriate police shooting are a tiny fraction of the murder rate in the black community.

No one seems to care.

Like the 10/20/Life rule in Florida? Use a Gun & You're Done.

The law's name comes from three main mandatory sentences: 1) producing a firearm during the commission of certain felonies mandates at least a 10-year prison sentence; 2) firing one mandates at least a 20-year prison sentence; and 3) shooting someone mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years to life regardless of whether a victim is killed or simply injured.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

normiss

And life IS life.
:P

There in lies the rub....

10 should mean 10 @ hard labor
20 should mean 20 @ hard labor
And as you say...

Unfortunately, nobody is afraid of going to prison anymore.

Gulags. We need to think Gulags. Hell, outsource prison to the Russians. Prolly be cheaper and more effective.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

...Unfortunately, nobody is afraid of going to prison anymore...

Not entirely true. The places that have put those kind of "Use a gun, go to prison" mandatory sentencing laws in place have seen a reduction in gun crime.
Once the bad guys start to understand that they are really going to be put away for a long time if they get caught doing these kinds of crimes, they tend to not do them.

One of the first was Project Exile. It was rather unusual to see both the NRA and the Brady group support something. Others were opposed to it because it extended federal court jurisdiction further into what some thought should be state and local issues.

How well it worked is a matter of some debate (were the reductions caused by the program or was it just a coincidence?).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo