Remster

Shit is going to get real messy in Ukraine/Russia

Remster

http://mashable.com/2014/07/17/malaysia-airlines-ukraine/

[insert joke about Putin just wanting top help find the lost Malaysian plane here]

The Russian separatists reported capturing BUK missles back months ago. Those have an 18000m effective range. ( various models up to 25000m

Over the last few days they have reported with pride the downing of Ukranian AN-26 and an SU25 over eastern Ukraine

Saw one report where they had claimed to have shot down yet another Ukranian plane... till it was reported to be the civilian airliner then they back tracked and took down the posts very rapidly.
Now they are claiming to only have MANPAD with 4000m capability.

rwieder

Plane was obviously shot down with a SAM.

No. That is not obvious at all.

Believe it or not, aircraft in flight actually do sometimes catastrophically explode all on their own without any outside intervention. It's rare, but it does happen.

I am not saying that's the case here, but it is also not obvious that the plane was shot down. That's precisely why an investigation needs to happen.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

rwieder

How's that for a disclaimer?

Better, but it is also the path to conspiracy theory.

Why even speculate before a credible source can get to the scene and file a preliminary report?

BTW, I'm not just blaming you. There are plenty of news sources who initially claimed it was absolutely shot down. Now they're backing off a little, but still, it's just silly without any confirmation whatsoever.
quade -

Iago

I'm going with the assumption it was shot down based on the initial claims of the separatists that they DID shoot it down.

Unfortunately they probably thought it was something else.

Which is also possible.

In 1988, the US mistakenly shot down an Airbus 300, killing almost 300 people, flying from Iran, to Dubai. That said, we (along with the rest of the world) knew it was a mistake almost immediately.

In 1983, the Soviet Union shot down a 747, killing about 270 people, on a flight from New York to Korea. Again, the mistake was known almost immediately.
quade -

Iago

******How's that for a disclaimer?

Better, but it is also the path to conspiracy theory.

Why even speculate before a credible source can get to the scene and file a preliminary report?

BTW, I'm not just blaming you. There are plenty of news sources who initially claimed it was absolutely shot down. Now they're backing off a little, but still, it's just silly without any confirmation whatsoever.

Which is highly unlikely given that the crash site is in Ukraine.

I'm going with the assumption it was shot down based on the initial claims of the separatists that they DID shoot it down.

Unfortunately they probably thought it was something else.

I'm with you. they were bragging about shooting down a plane then news broke Malaysian Air lost contact with a flight and suddenly the boasting stopped. I suppose there is a chance it just blew up AND the separatists misreported a victory. too much a coincidence for me.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

The important thing to keep in context with a mistakenly shot down aircraft is even super powers with highly sophisticated radar systems which are designed to be able to distinguish between a real and non-threat have made the same types of mistakes.

It's not an excuse by any means, but with great power (in this case the ability to shoot down aircraft) comes lessons from Spider-Man.

It's ALSO entirely possible, if this was a shoot down, it was intentional by either side for a number of "reasons" including but not limited to propaganda.
quade -

I am not saying that's the case here, but it is also not obvious that the plane was shot down. That's precisely why an investigation needs to happen.

Just going off of current data, and info currently being reported that the plane was indeed shot down, Paul, you were saying???? Don't be so quick to judge, it just causes one to craw fish later. ;) I still love ya man! ;)

There are probably a few people in the Amsterdam airport that are getting piss drunk right now because they were on standby and the plane filled up.

Best airport in the world to get drunk at, if your of the mind to do it. I've flown out of Skiphol a jillion times, really nice air port.

rwieder

Just going off of current data, and info currently being reported that the plane was indeed shot down,...

Says who? Anyone official? Has any official anywhere said so?

Remember TWA Flight 800? MANY people initially thought that was a shoot down. We were primed to believe it. That said, it wasn't.

You should wait before tossing around words like, "indeed." That's simply not known at this time.
quade -

Says who? Anyone official? Has any official anywhere said so?

You do watch CNN, right? They're putting on all kinds of military pros, and info on the BUK missle systems as well as threats to use it by two different military factions. SOURCE: U.S. Concludes: Plane Was Shot Down. CH. 202, right now.

Go Here

I'll have to check that out, but CNN isn't exactly the most credible source when it comes to reporting on Malaysian aircraft problems. When somebody official actually says it . . . sure . . . I'll go with that, but until then, just being "reported" on CNN isn't very definitive.
quade -

It's not a "side step." We don't KNOW the situation yet. This is what I've maintained and will continue to do so until there is an actual official report. You don't get "bonus forum points" for guessing right "first."

Meanwhile, back to the situation in the Ukraine...

The BBC is still taking a more conservative approach to reportage and not saying anything is definitive yet.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28354856
quade -

We all know bidens word is worth shit. Remember he was the one advocating for us to blast a few rounds of buckshot out of our shotgun in the air to scare off a criminal.

"Kate, if you want to protect yourself, get a double barreled shotgun," Biden responded. "I promise you, as I told my wife, we live in an area that's wooded and somewhat secluded. I said, Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out, put [up] that double barreled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house."

The vice president said that by firing two shotgun blasts, anyone who might be trying to break in would be scared off.

"You don't need an AR-15," he said. "Buy a shotgun! Buy a shotgun!"

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

They're putting on all kinds of military pros,

Yeah, but to be fair the broadcast media had all kinds of military pro's claiming a backlit airliner contrail was a chinese ballistic missile fired over california, so...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>There are probably a few people in the Amsterdam airport that are getting piss
>drunk right now because they were on standby and the plane filled up.
>Yeech. I get the willies just thinking about that.

Another 20 minutes and I would have been on American Airlines flight 11. I drank a lot that week too.