skinnay

God fails to protect own priest in church

regulator

Thank god we live in a country where we can express our beliefs in our own way.

Unless you are not a Christian... then... it is not so easy for those others who wish to worship in their own way. Freedom of religion means you have to allow ALL people to worship as they desire. There is also a need for freedom FROM religion for those who choose not to believe.

Those other religions do not threaten me as they do some Christians just as those who are agnostic or atheist have ZERO bearing on my life.

Tolerance... the Founders pretty much set the tone.. based on who they were and who they did not want to emulate.

wolfriverjoe

Personal experience and eyewitness testimony are very unreliable as evidence.

Technically, all you have is personal experience and your own eyewitness testimony :)
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

devildog

Personal experience and eyewitness testimony are very unreliable as evidence.

Technically, all you have is personal experience and your own eyewitness testimony :)

And, that deep down disturbing awareness that you are going to be held personally responsible for your decisions.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

And, that deep down disturbing awareness that you are going to be held personally responsible for your decisions.

Nah, that's just the remnants of the paranoia from your days as an addict.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

normiss

Beyond untrue.

Are you possessed or something?

VIVA Existentialism and Situational Ethics!

Everything is OK and legal as long as you don't get caught or you are willing to pay the price if you are caught.

Are you saying you have nothing buried in your conscience? Wait, don't answer that.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jakee

***And, that deep down disturbing awareness that you are going to be held personally responsible for your decisions.

Nah, that's just the remnants of the paranoia from your days as an addict.

Sorry, I am not paranoid any longer. I have been forgiven and set free from that bondage since 1981. Oh, although technically correct, the common accepted term is alcoholic.

No, I don't actually.
Some are embarrassing or would be to some I'm sure, but I really don't embarrass for the most part.
You'd most likely be floored at some of my more monumental mistakes in life, but I made them. Me. All me. By myself.
No mystical being involved at all.
I learned from most of them and have since altered my behavior.
ME.
The woman I am lucky enough to share my life with is all the inspiration I need to better myself. My children as well for that matter!
I didn't even have imaginary friends as a kid, why have them now?

So no, no deeps seeded guilt or anything. I've done fairly well so far and I'm content with that.

Welcome to life. B|

>This is one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever heard. WOW! Why not
>open your heart to the idea that there might just be an entity such as the triune
>god?

Sure, that's possible. There's just no evidence for it.

>I've personally seen the results of people's lives changed in a way, (which at the
>time I didn't even understand) which was literally unbelievable.

Agreed, and a lot of people experience similar life-changing revelations. Sometimes it's Christianity, sometimes it's Islam, sometimes it's Dianetics, sometimes it's a nonreligious self help book. Whatever works. The results are what's important.

rwieder

Yeah but Ron, you were a drug addicted fuck-up before you met Jesus.

If this isn't proof of the very existance and Love of Jesus Christ, I don't know what is.
***When you set your baseline so low then any normal life is going to seem pretty amazing. You have no idea what anyone else's baseline is or how amazing their lives are without Jesus.

This is one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever heard. WOW! Why not open your heart to the idea that there might just be an entity such as the triune god?

Or Zeus, Athena, Ceres, Odin, Thor, Freya, Woden, Ra, Amun, Anubis, Aten, Atum. Bastet, Bes, Geb, Hapy. Hathor, Horus, Isis, Khepri. Khnum, Ma'at, Nephthys, Nun. Nut, Osiris, Ptah, Ra. Ra-Horakhty, Sekhmet, Anu, Annunaki, Nabu, Nebu, Neti, Ares, Apollo, Artemis, Krishna, Lakshmi, Ganesh and a few thousand more.

The evidence for your god is identical to the evidence for each of the others.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Or Zeus, Athena, Ceres, Odin, Thor, Freya, Woden, Ra, Amun, Anubis, Aten, Atum. Bastet, Bes, Geb, Hapy. Hathor, Horus, Isis, Khepri. Khnum, Ma'at, Nephthys, Nun. Nut, Osiris, Ptah, Ra. Ra-Horakhty, Sekhmet, Anu, Annunaki, Nabu, Nebu, Neti, Ares, Apollo, Artemis, Krishna, Lakshmi, Ganesh and a few thousand more.

Which is certainly evidence that we need God to have a full and meaningful life. Otherwise we would be like the rest of nature.

normiss

It's not really about having imaginary friends, bro...it's about looking at the organization of nature and asking ourselves, "hey, does this shit really just happen?"

Where you take it from there is up to you...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

maadmax

Which is certainly evidence that we need God to have a full and meaningful life. Otherwise we would be like the rest of nature.

Which one? There are thousands to choose from, and they all have the EXACT same amount of evidence of existence.... NONE.

kallend

Which one? There are thousands to choose from, and they all have the EXACT same amount of evidence of existence.... NONE.

All except for the evidence of the One who created existence in the first place...unless of course you're of the camp that believes organized shit just pops out of thin air for absolutely no reason whatsoever...

normiss

No, I don't actually.
Some are embarrassing or would be to some I'm sure, but I really don't embarrass for the most part.
You'd most likely be floored at some of my more monumental mistakes in life, but I made them. Me. All me. By myself.
No mystical being involved at all.
I learned from most of them and have since altered my behavior.
ME.
The woman I am lucky enough to share my life with is all the inspiration I need to better myself. My children as well for that matter!

So no, no deeps seeded guilt or anything. I've done fairly well so far and I'm content with that.

Welcome to life. B|

Good for you. Some have not been so lucky. Luck is a respecter of persons, God is not. (Acts 10:34)

There are some, even here in the SC, that wake up every morning with the fear that they will be revealed, that their character will be exposed.

Jesus came to heal the sick. What kind of sickness? To give sight to the blind. What is not being seen? To set the captives free. What type of bondage holds people away from the love of God?

All except for the evidence of the One who created existence in the first place...unless of course you're of the camp that believes organized shit just pops out of thin air for absolutely no reason whatsoever...

There is no logical difference between believing that the universe popped out of thin air, and believing The One popped out of thin air. At some point there was nothing, then there was something.

- Dan G

Coreece

So you believe in Uranus. OK. (Or was it Prajapati, or Ginnungagap? Or Aether, or Hemera. Or Gaia. So many choices and all with equal evidence in support.)

(PS If you're going to try to deny physics, at least learn some physics first.)

DanG

There is no logical difference between believing that the universe popped out of thin air, and believing The One popped out of thin air. At some point there was nothing, then there was something.

The One is beyond space, time, and the mere limits of science...

kallend

If you're going to try to deny physics, at least learn some physics first.

Can Casamir explain why?

Coreece

So not only did it pop out of thin air, it also has a Tardis. Yes, that's far more believable.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Coreece

As a theoretical physicist, would you be able to explain what "beyond space", "beyond time", and "beyond natural laws" is? What it looks like? How it functions in the universe? Are there any examples of these concepts? Can we point to "beyond space", or "beyond time" and use it as evidence? Can you point to "anti-matter" when we live in a material universe?

I've shown up a bit late so I'm ignorant as to what's on the other five pages of the thread and all, but I'm curious: the position here seems to be pointing to [nothing] and saying, "that's where [The One] is." Well, we can't verify that, can we? Because there's nothing there.

If it's timeless, how can we verify it exists outside of time? We can't observe non-time, because we exist inside time. If it's 'spaceless', how can we verify it exists outside of space? We can't observe non-space, because we exist inside space. If we can't observe it, it's non-falsifiable: there's no way to prove it exists, and no way to prove it doesn't exist.

Coreece

More gobbledegook.