Skyrad

Junk food banned for sale across the USA as of 1st July

PiLFy

No - it was 5 meals out of 35.
Parents are responsible for the other 30 meals.

Not so. You're aware that lots of kids eat two meals per day at their schools? Breakfast & Lunch are served to lots of children, nowadays.

I hear what you're saying, but...Not every parent has a partner. Not every couple can afford for one of them to stay home w/the kids. &, quite frankly, not every parent is bright enough for the job...

Whatever the causes are outside of school? It clearly isn't working. Childhood obesity isn't going away. Kids spend the majority of their time at school. Fast food corporations were allowed to turn school cafeterias into McDonald's etal annexes. That's done real damage. It needs to stop. This will help do that.

I think you've read enough of my posts to know I want the Govt. the fuck out of my life. The Govt. created this mess, in part, by allowing their dirtbag fast food friends to take over the feeding of these kids. In this, at least, the Govt. is making a move back in the right direction.

That's still 10 meals out of 35. Still not anyone's problem but the parent(s).
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

Not so. You're aware that lots of kids eat two meals per day at their schools? Breakfast & Lunch are served to lots of children, nowadays.

I hear what you're saying, but...Not every parent has a partner. Not every couple can afford for one of them to stay home w/the kids. &, quite frankly, not every parent is bright enough for the job...

Whatever the causes are outside of school? It clearly isn't working. Childhood obesity isn't going away. Kids spend the majority of their time at school. Fast food corporations were allowed to turn school cafeterias into McDonald's etal annexes. That's done real damage. It needs to stop. This will help do that.

I think you've read enough of my posts to know I want the Govt. the fuck out of my life. The Govt. created this mess, in part, by allowing their dirtbag fast food friends to take over the feeding of these kids. In this, at least, the Govt. is making a move back in the right direction.

That's still 10 meals out of 35. Still not anyone's problem but the parent(s).

But it has become the governments babysitting that is now the rule and not the exception.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I really don't get your animus. When did I give lousy parents a pass? How is removing shit food that your children would surely never eat anyway, so much of an inconvenience to you or yours?

I pride myself on healthy eating practices. I've always eaten good foods. Even I get an occasional yen for a big plate of french fries. When I do. I don't buy disgusting fast food crap. I buy well made fries in a restaurant. Surely such a first class parent such as yourself, has taught your kids where & when to scratch that itch?

PiLFy

***You say, kids spend the majority of time at school. I am glad I went to school in the 60's and 70's. Then we were only expected to be at school for 7 to 9 hours a day, according to schedule. I had no clue students were expetected to be in class more then 12 hours a day. Everyday.

Been quite a few years, but let's see... School started about 7:20, & went until 3:30-4PM. Then, there were after school sports. I often wouldn't get home until 7PM. On the nights I didn't have a sports practice, I worked (& got home even later). So yes, Kids spend the majority of their time in school.

If you have something useful to contribute. Please, do so. If you just want to be a d*^#? Go spread that over in SC... Oh. Never mind. Carry on, then.

school here in ontario runs from 8:30 to 2:50, teachers are usually expected to be there from 8:15 to 3:05 on a normal day, 194 days a year. The time of start and end may vary a small amount depending on the school (busing issues, etc) and also on length of breaks for lunch, recess, etc. ( a while back I did see a school with a 1 hour break at lunch, but usually it's 40-45 minutes, with 2 other nutrition/activity breaks of 35-40 minutes) but that is the general amount of time.

Actual instruction time is 6 50-minute blocks.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

PiLFy

I really don't get your animus. When did I give lousy parents a pass? How is removing shit food that your children would surely never eat anyway, so much of an inconvenience to you or yours?

I pride myself on healthy eating practices. I've always eaten good foods. Even I get an occasional yen for a big plate of french fries. When I do. I don't buy disgusting fast food crap. I buy well made fries in a restaurant. Surely such a first class parent such as yourself, has taught your kids where & when to scratch that itch?

OK - well lets start with one thing I intentionally left out . . . Summer break - holidays, and spring break.

Who is it that is responsible for the child's welfare at those times? Is it the governments?

My "Animus" is for parents not taking their job seriously.

If you are in college and on a federal grant, does that make the gov't responsible for your eating habits?

When do the parents get to be held responsible?

When does it start being their fault?

Or do we all need to be told what to do?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Dalton Mcguinty's liberals banned junk food in Ontario schools in 2010. The upshot has been that since the ban sales have dropped as much as 45% in many school cafeterias as students voted with their feet by crossing the road to fast food restaurants (and thus increasing the risk of accidents, etc)...

Pasted from a Huffington post article

As Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk told us in December, Ontario's Healthy Eating program has been a complete and utter failure. Cafeteria sales across Ontario plummeted 25 to 45 per cent, while vending machine sales have fallen by as much as 85 per cent. Larger school districts like Ottawa and Toronto are reporting millions in lost revenues, money that is earmarked to support field trips, tournaments, and other extra-curricular activities.

This isn't the first time an activist government has tried to fight obesity and failed.

In 2011, Denmark introduced the world's first fat tax. It was unanimously passed by the government and aimed to tax fatty foods to improve public health and offset health care costs associated with obesity. In practice, this tax was a bureaucratic nightmare that caused food prices to soar.

Much like high school students in Ontario, Danish consumers voted with their feet and their wallets, and met their cravings elsewhere. One study found that 48 per cent of Danes resorted to cross-border grocery shopping in nearby Germany to avoid the fat taxes.

A little over a year later, after its economy lost an estimated $1.8 billion, the Danish government abolished the much-hated fat tax.

What do you do with a failed government program that has backfired? In Denmark, the government unanimously agreed to revoke the fat tax. In Ontario, instead of examining the data and considering factors like behavior and incentives, the Wynne Government has just designed another way to expand the program and spend more money. This government is dead set on altering our behavior and changing the foods we like to eat, regardless of the cost to taxpayers, the unintended consequences or whether it's actually working.

Forget about overweight students, the weight of our government is the real problem in Ontario.

So you are coming back with the argument that you are spending the minority time at school. And calling me a dick for saying you were not spending the majority of your time at school. Yeah I geuise I am the dick. Check back with me when you figure out the 24 hour day. Bitch.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

So you are coming back with the argument that you are spending the minority time at school. And calling me a dick for saying you were not spending the majority of your time at school. Yeah I geuise I am the dick. Check back with me when you figure out the 24 hour day. Bitch.

Again - Majority . . . you forget that 3 months out of the year are all on th eparents - but I guess the liberal mind set can't QUITE wrap their minds around that.

I can Leave those 3 months that he is not in school and still be correct that he did not spend the majority of his time in school.
His post confirm it. He said school started at 7:20 am and when he played sports and had practice he was out by 7 pm.
Now I am sure that was not 7 days a week. So we can throw the three months a year that he is not on school out and he is still lying about the timeline.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

turtlespeed

I'm really glad to see this. Something needs to be done to combat childhood obesity. I routinely see 10yoa kids who are already 200#s [:/]. These kids are facing life-long problems before even hitting puberty.

Imagine what would happen if the parents took responsibility and quit making the nanny state take care of them.:|

That's a separate issue. To be fair to Parents, though. They're not standing there in the cafeteria when their kids are buying some of the worst possible foods for them... I wish I remembered the name of that documentary I mentioned. It showed the problem very clearly. Many school cafeterias don't offer ANYTHING that's healthy, anymore.

We had Pizza Day, and Hot Dog Day, and grilled cheese day, and Hamburger Mac and Cheese day, and Sub Sammich Day.

We didn't have but one or two "Fat Kids" in about . . . 900 or so kids.

What happened since then?

I'm guessing your question is rhetorical.

What happens in the child's life is their responsibility, not the government's.

When I was a kid I ate nothing but crap , just like all of my friends. The big difference now is that kids just sit on their ass, they have no comprehension what it means to "Go outside and play" their all lazy fucks who are developing type 2 diabetes by the age of 10.

When parents got all crazy about "Stranger danger" and refused to let their kids outside to go play in the neighborhood, they were doomed.

The only phrase you are missing is "Kids don't respect their elders any more"

People have been saying this stuff since time began and it doesn't necessarily make it true. It may be, and probably is, that obesity levels are going up and something needs to be done about it, however labelling all kids as "lazy fucks" pretty much makes a nonsense of your argument. Providing healthy and tasty food at school is one part of that, educating parents is another. A lot of parents are very good at getting their kids to eat healthily and a lot of kids enjoy it.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

BartsDaddy

I can Leave those 3 months that he is not in school and still be correct that he did not spend the majority of his time in school.
His post confirm it. He said school started at 7:20 am and when he played sports and had practice he was out by 7 pm.
Now I am sure that was not 7 days a week. So we can throw the three months a year that he is not on school out and he is still lying about the timeline.

It seems like everyone had fallen off the course of actual discourse and are now arguing over funny numbers.

When you get home at 4 or 5 or 7 and your parents get home at 6 or 7, and you go to bed at 10, how many hours did you spend with them? 3 or 4? How much time did you spend at school (exclude transit)? 8 or 9? That's 45 versus 20 (and then another 24-28 on weekends potentially.

And how did we determine kids are eating 35 meals a week?

Then we have numbers of the costs of not selling crappy food. I bet the school districts could really clean up if they started selling drugs, even if we stick to the legal ones - beer and smokes.

BartsDaddy

Poor Bart :(...

"When do the parents get to be held responsible?"

OK. An example for you, then. Last week, I had a pediatric patient. A 6yoa Boy who was already obese, having health issues from it, & is on course to have life-long issues from it. The Boy's mother was a 450# freak, w/a major chip on her shoulder. I don't think that bitch would listen to baseball bat therapy... So, do we literally beat the 450# freak to death for being an idiot? That'd hold his idiot mother accounatable for the damage she's done. The little Boy would be better off, true. Don't think that approach would fly, though.

Bottom line: a lot of people shouldn't breed, but they do. I'm guessing you wouldn't support forced sterilizations. So, how is this small, positive step a bad thing? Do you agree that the Govt. helped create the mess by letting their fast food buddies hyjack the public school food systems?

Iago

Ok, I'm missing something here.

Under what authority does the USDA tell schools what they can and cannot serve?

I would think that would fall under the Dept of Education, if it fell anyplace.

Here is the organization of USDA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Agriculture#Operating_units

On that page, below the "Under Secretary of Agriculture for Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services" subsection, there is this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_Nutrition_Service

Note that two of the listed programs are about schools.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Remember a couple of years ago when a Chicago school banned bagged lunches from home because the school administrators wanted the increased revenue and grants that school lunches brought knew that the parents were sending unhealthy lunches?

Then the kids can get the pink slime burgers, fries and tater tots.

There just isn't much a parent can do when their supervision of a kid is interrupted.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>As Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk told us in December, Ontario's Healthy Eating
>program has been a complete and utter failure. Cafeteria sales across Ontario
>plummeted 25 to 45 per cent, while vending machine sales have fallen by as much
>as 85 per cent.

O the horror. Next thing you know kids won't be buying as many cigarettes from vending machines either. Won't someone think of the vending machine workers? It's clear that the government hates workers.

Iago

So basically, the USDA has been recommending standards under NSLP for quite some time but the actual regulation comes at the State level.

In my opinion this looks like a power grab. The USDA will probably force compliance by withholding Federal NSLP monies from the States, which is what the Federal Government does with DOT and Interstate Highway funding.

I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

In his recent book "Salt Sugar Fat", Michael Moss was blasting the hypocrisy of the USDA; That subsection of the USDA is supposed to be charged with getting consumers to eat healthy foods. Meanwhile, the rest of the dept is an advocate for the food industry, and promotes whatever is good for business.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

billvon

>As Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk told us in December, Ontario's Healthy Eating
>program has been a complete and utter failure. Cafeteria sales across Ontario
>plummeted 25 to 45 per cent, while vending machine sales have fallen by as much
>as 85 per cent.

O the horror. Next thing you know kids won't be buying as many cigarettes from vending machines either. Won't someone think of the vending machine workers? It's clear that the government hates workers.

It's only senseless if you don't consider what is important to school administrators. $$$$ - whether Canadian or US - are important. So, a "complete and utter failure" is defined as a massive drop in revenue for schools. When balancing healthversus revenue, governments are no better than burger chains.

ryoder

***So basically, the USDA has been recommending standards under NSLP for quite some time but the actual regulation comes at the State level.

In my opinion this looks like a power grab. The USDA will probably force compliance by withholding Federal NSLP monies from the States, which is what the Federal Government does with DOT and Interstate Highway funding.

I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

In his recent book "Salt Sugar Fat", Michael Moss was blasting the hypocrisy of the USDA; That subsection of the USDA is supposed to be charged with getting consumers to eat healthy foods. Meanwhile, the rest of the dept is an advocate for the food industry, and promotes whatever is good for business.

My personal thought is that the single greatest thing that could be done to curb obesity, diabetes, etc., is to end corn subsidies. People then will see how much beef costs. And all that cheap high fructose corn syrup will become costlier HFCS.

But then again, government policy has been to encourage obesity and malnourishment and healthcare to manage it. That means more money coming in and power.

>It's only senseless if you don't consider what is important to school
>administrators. $$$$

Oh, it makes perfect sense because that's what PEOPLE want. They want lower taxes, and that means that school administrators who don't give them rock-bottom pricing get ousted.

Thus the importance on educating people (including that administrator and the people who vote for him, not just the kids in the school) on how important dietary choices are.

My "Animus" is for parents not taking their job seriously.

You know, Clint, not every topic can credibly be spun directly off into a canned rant of talking points about liberals, the nanny state, personal responsibility and "kids these days". It also seems that 9 out of 10 of the ranters I see on here who bitch the loudest about poor parenting have never actually had the experience of walking the parenting walk themselves. Personal experiences can be instructive comparators. If you want to give us specific details of how you engage in the upbringing of children for whom you're personally responsible, by all means please do so.

If you want to give us specific details of how you engage in the upbringing of children for whom you're personally responsible, by all means please do so.

Well, first he finds a warm sandy beach to bury the eggs. It is a shame so many of the little babies get eaten by gulls and racoons and such when they hatch out...

Don