Stumpy

Next one of the Christian values under threat!

Natural reality and spiritual reality, you have only one perspective. You could have both, your choice.

ETA

1 Cor 2:10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

maadmax

Just a lame excuse for cherry picking.

Actually, your response is a tragic minimization of the most important Truth you will encounter in this lifetime. There is "Cherry Picking" and then there is rightly interpreting the Word of God.

QED

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

> There is "Cherry Picking" and then there is rightly interpreting the Word of God.

Cherry picking - what other people do
Rightly interpreting the Word of God (and having the wisdom to know what no longer applies) - what I do

And at the end of the day, I trust the Spirit of God and the harsh light of reality to make all things clear. I pray daily that I may have wisdom and understanding and stay vigilant to evaluate and change my understanding as Truths are made clear. I love reproof and correction, it brings me closer to understanding God's purpose.

maadmax

QED

WTF

It is the self aggrandized statement of those who believe they are the intellectually elite. It means your response proves to me that you are as stupid as I thought you are.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

QED

WTF

It is the self aggrandized statement of those who believe they are the intellectually elite. It means your response proves to me that you are as stupid as I thought you are.

Sounds good to me, I love being thought of as foolish by the so called "wise".

maadmax

QED

WTF

Amen! :)

"if bumming isn’t going to cause divine retribution, a little creative agriculture should be okay"

Creative agriculture is fine by me, but remember that here on Earth we have a higher power than
the Almighty... Monsanto won't like it.

Gone fishing

maadmax

QED

WTF

Kallend didn't call you foolish but, ironically, you have in the past called Kallend foolish.

So what does that mean?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>The other poster seemed to be implying that the NT was correct, but not the OT.

That's logically impossible, since the New Testament clearly states that the Old Testament is still in force and always will be. So you'd, at minimum, have to disregard at least Matthew 5:18 if you reject Old Testament laws.

If there is anyone here who would actually make an honest attempt in understanding, then I think a good place to start would be back at Mathew 5:17-"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Apparently Christ's actions were misinterpreted to the point that the people of the day thought that Christ was attempting to abolish the law, the same way people today think that Christians reject OT law.

The key words here are "to fulfill." To understand what it means for Christ to have fulfilled the law, is to understand who Christ really is and the harmony He brings between Old Testament Law and New Testament grace.

...But to emphasize Ron's point, this type of understanding doesn't come by merely going to church and thinking about fishing.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

kallend

******>The other poster seemed to be implying that the NT was correct, but not the OT.

That's logically impossible, since the New Testament clearly states that the Old Testament is still in force and always will be. So you'd, at minimum, have to disregard at least Matthew 5:18 if you reject Old Testament laws.

However most people take what they want from the Bible. Very few people take either book as a rulebook, a science book or a history book.

"9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things"

Not all things are for all times. Most serious scholars of the Bible recognize the Dispensational relevance of certain Truths for certain times and not for others.

AKA Cherry picking the parts that are convenient to believe and the parts that are convenient to ignore.

You may want to reexamine your argument. (If that's what you call it)

There is nothing convenient about the following verses:

Lust/Adultery - Matthew 5:27-28
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Divorce - Matthew 5:31-32
“It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Retaliation - Matthew 5:38-42
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Love Your Enemy - Matthew 5:43-47
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The real cherry picking is coming from those who tend to be more self-serving with their interpretations, ie., those who attempt to justify homosexual behavior by equating it to verses about shellfish....

DanG

So then you have no problem condemning say, a man who's twice divorced?

His sins should be condemned just like a gay married coupled?

Of course not.

Once you have completed the act of divorce, you go to confession. You then promise to never do it again. You promise that you have now found God and will lead a better life. Rinse and repeat.

But gay, gay is just dirty and they keep doing that gay stuff. Way too much to confess for, plus those pesky gays don't promise they won't do it again. It is all very different.

DanG

So then you have no problem condemning say, a man who's twice divorced?

I don't condemn anyone...that's beyond my pay grade.

DanG

His sins should be condemned just like a gay married coupled?

First of all, I don't condemn the love one man has for another....I condemn the lust.

...but yes, you are correct - sin is sin. It becomes an issue when people try to justify it.

I sin, but I try not to make excuses for it...and I certainly don't try to justify it with verses about shellfish.

It sure is a good thing the GOP picks and chooses which biblical passages (are those still Levitican Laws)it wants to force upon their fellow Americans... Lord knows the Party of Family Values sure has failed in a whole bunch of Biblical laws. The American Taliban better start stockpiling a few billion tons of rock to be able to clean up their own house. Think they would start with Newt and all the others??

Southern_Man

I sin, but I try not to make excuses for it...and I certainly don't try to justify it with verses about shellfish.

No, you just go right on eating the shellfish.

sin boldly, my friend

yes...in fact, on Good Friday, my fellow deviant pescetarians and I will gorge ourselves at the annual masked orgy of the drunken muscles...

Coreece

***Lord knows the Party of Family Values sure has failed in a whole bunch of Biblical laws.

I know, right?

Republicans Serve Lobster During Obama Lunch!!!!!

I was thinking more along these lines.... http://duanegraham.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/family-values-failures/

It’s no good for a family values Republican to get picked up on a DUI. But substantially worse to get picked up for a DUI after leaving a gay nightclub with an unidentified man in a state vehicle.

That’s the sorry state that befell California state Senator Roy Ashburn (R-Bakersfield) early Wednesday.

In better days Ashburn, a fierce opponent of gay rights, was fighting marriage equality and organizing anti-gay marriage rallies as part of his “Traditional Family Values” campaign

------------------------------------------------------
The list goes on from there.:S

Oh no, politicians are hypocritical liars...who'da thunk?!?!

I really don't care to get into politics, but just for the sakes of argument - If a politician smokes, does that mean they should oppose legislation that bans smoking in public places, less they be deemed a hypocrite? I dunno, perhaps they should be applauded for holding the will of the people above their own?

Coreece

Oh no, politicians are hypocritical liars...who'da thunk?!?!

I really don't care to get into politics, but just for the sakes of argument - If a politician smokes, does that mean they should oppose legislation that bans smoking in public places, less they be deemed a hypocrite? I dunno, perhaps they should be applauded for holding the will of the people above their own?

I tend to take note of levels of Hypocrisy and it seems to be telling in WHAT most conservatives fight against the most vociferously, will soon be found to be what their personal demons have led them into participating in.

Amazon

***Oh no, politicians are hypocritical liars...who'da thunk?!?!

I tend to take note of levels of Hypocrisy

I think that if we really examine those "lower" levels of hypocrisy, we would find that it's not hypocrisy at all...the word hypocrisy gets thrown around way too much these days - it's practically cliche.

Amazon

....and it seems to be telling in WHAT most conservatives fight against the most vociferously, will soon be found to be what their personal demons have led them into participating in.

So fighting against homosexuality will only lead one to become homosexual? Sounds like liberal propaganda to me.:P

Coreece

******Oh no, politicians are hypocritical liars...who'da thunk?!?!

I tend to take note of levels of Hypocrisy

I think that if we really examine those "lower" levels of hypocrisy, we would find that it's not hypocrisy at all...the word hypocrisy gets thrown around way too much these days - it's practically cliche.

Amazon

....and it seems to be telling in WHAT most conservatives fight against the most vociferously, will soon be found to be what their personal demons have led them into participating in.

So fighting against homosexuality will only lead one to become homosexual? Sounds like liberal propaganda to me.:P

No................ it looks like and sounds like some good ole boys trying real hard to prove they are not really gay after all.. but keep failing. :ph34r::ph34r: