Stumpy

Next one of the Christian values under threat!

Amazon

*********Oh no, politicians are hypocritical liars...who'da thunk?!?!

I really don't care to get into politics, but just for the sakes of argument - If a politician smokes, does that mean they should oppose legislation that bans smoking in public places, less they be deemed a hypocrite? I dunno, perhaps they should be applauded for holding the will of the people above their own?

I tend to take note of levels of Hypocrisy

I think that if we really examine those "lower" levels of hypocrisy, we would find that it's not hypocrisy at all...the word hypocrisy gets thrown around way too much these days - it's practically cliche.

Amazon

....and it seems to be telling in WHAT most conservatives fight against the most vociferously, will soon be found to be what their personal demons have led them into participating in.

So fighting against homosexuality will only lead one to become homosexual? Sounds like liberal propaganda to me.:P

No................ it looks like and sounds like some good ole boys trying real hard to prove they are not really gay after all.. but keep failing. :ph34r::ph34r:

That's fine...politicians make easy targets. - I guess people find it humorous.

...but at the personal level, I highly doubt that even you would be "hypocritical" enough to laugh at someone else's personal struggles with sexuality...We all fail, especially when it comes to love...isn't that right?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Coreece

************Oh no, politicians are hypocritical liars...who'da thunk?!?!

I really don't care to get into politics, but just for the sakes of argument - If a politician smokes, does that mean they should oppose legislation that bans smoking in public places, less they be deemed a hypocrite? I dunno, perhaps they should be applauded for holding the will of the people above their own?

I tend to take note of levels of Hypocrisy

I think that if we really examine those "lower" levels of hypocrisy, we would find that it's not hypocrisy at all...the word hypocrisy gets thrown around way too much these days - it's practically cliche.

Amazon

....and it seems to be telling in WHAT most conservatives fight against the most vociferously, will soon be found to be what their personal demons have led them into participating in.

So fighting against homosexuality will only lead one to become homosexual? Sounds like liberal propaganda to me.:P

No................ it looks like and sounds like some good ole boys trying real hard to prove they are not really gay after all.. but keep failing. :ph34r::ph34r:

That's fine...politicians make easy targets. - I guess people find it humorous.

...but at the personal level, I highly doubt that even you would be "hypocritical" enough to laugh at someone else's personal struggles with sexuality...We all fail, especially when it comes to love...isn't that right?

Some people fail far more spectacularly... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._West_(politician)

Coreece

Current theories seem to support that sexuality is fixed in utero and not as a result of cultural and social influences. (see David/Brenda Reimer and the Sambia tribe of Papua New Guinea)

It also seems that all the "gay cures" have 0% effectiveness. If homosexuality was a life choice like drug and alcohol use, or smoking then yes, you could probably effectively use rehab techniques to "give up the behaviour" but as it seems to be linked to the androgen levels the fetus is exposed to during pregnancy there's no way it's going to work.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

rifleman

Current theories seem to support that sexuality is fixed in utero and not as a result of cultural and social influences. (see David/Brenda Reimer and the Sambia tribe of Papua New Guinea)

It also seems that all the "gay cures" have 0% effectiveness. If homosexuality was a life choice like drug and alcohol use, or smoking then yes, you could probably effectively use rehab techniques to "give up the behaviour" but as it seems to be linked to the androgen levels the fetus is exposed to during pregnancy there's no way it's going to work.

That reads like an example of fighting for limitations. In other words, finding a justification for a bad decision.

We are all born with the genetic makeup for bad behavior. It is called sin.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

And there are plenty of medical explanations these days for behaviors in people who commit 'sin'.

Not all explained away (yet) but obviously physiological factors that affect our lives, predispositions and such,

Of course if you believe everything is a choice, then fine, but the evidence does not support it.

People born with abnormal brains do in fact act differently in many cases......is that their decision? Or is that your hypocrisy?

Coreece

"Fighting against homosexuality???"

To thine own self be true.

If something trips your trigger, go for it (assuming it is adult homo sapiens).

Most of the people I know who had to stifle gay urges eventually came to grips with the fact that they were gay. Big deal.

Often there would have been a marriage to reassure themselves that they were 'normal,' since, as one of them put it, "nobody wants to be a paraiah."

I know this may come as a shock, but from what I understand it is pretty well hard-wired. A truly straight guy can be in a locker room with all sorts of naked, buff studs and it is a complete non-issue. However, the mere scent of the pheromones of a sexually primed female will trigger increased pulse, salivation and the beginnings of all kinds of physiological responses.

Mind you, this has nothing to do with value judgments, morals, social norms and the like. Gay and straight is not a matter of 'better or worse,' and I question the motivation of anyone who cares all that much one way or another.

Even though a woman is completely off the menu, I am acutely aware if she is sexually attractive or not. Guys, however, elicit a dial tone across the board. YMMV.

BSBD,

Winsor

tkhayes

And there are plenty of medical explanations these days for behaviors in people who commit 'sin'.

Not all explained away (yet) but obviously physiological factors that affect our lives, predispositions and such,

Of course if you believe everything is a choice, then fine, but the evidence does not support it.

People born with abnormal brains do in fact act differently in many cases......is that their decision? Or is that your hypocrisy?

No
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

winsor

***So fighting against homosexuality will only lead one to become homosexual? Sounds like liberal propaganda to me.:P

"Fighting against homosexuality???"

To thine own self be true.

If something trips your trigger, go for it (assuming it is adult homo sapiens).

Most of the people I know who had to stifle gay urges eventually came to grips with the fact that they were gay. Big deal.

Often there would have been a marriage to reassure themselves that they were 'normal,' since, as one of them put it, "nobody wants to be a paraiah."

I know this may come as a shock, but from what I understand it is pretty well hard-wired. A truly straight guy can be in a locker room with all sorts of naked, buff studs and it is a complete non-issue. However, the mere scent of the pheromones of a sexually primed female will trigger increased pulse, salivation and the beginnings of all kinds of physiological responses.

Mind you, this has nothing to do with value judgments, morals, social norms and the like. Gay and straight is not a matter of 'better or worse,' and I question the motivation of anyone who cares all that much one way or another.

Even though a woman is completely off the menu, I am acutely aware if she is sexually attractive or not. Guys, however, elicit a dial tone across the board. YMMV.

BSBD,

Winsor

Sometimes I develop a similar reaction when I see a bottle of tequila. Fortunately, I have learned to turn off the desire and focus on other behavior. I realize that not everyone has the victory. Most of my paternal family did not.

Amazon

Some people fail far more spectacularly... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._West_(politician)

Wow...That is one of the most depressing stories I've heard in awhile. I feel compelled to write a screenplay about this. How tragic...

I find it interesting that you would use that story to take a political jab at republicans rather than recognizing the tragic injustice here. This man was entrapped by the press, alienated from society and eventually lost everything before a somewhat lonely death from cancer, simply because he was gay.

The only uplifting part of this story is the comfort and support he received from God through the African Methodist Episcopal Church in Spokane during his illness.

A few family members also supported him along with his ex-wife from 1990 who was with him at his death and stated that she wished "he could have lived long enough for his reputation to be restored to the place of honor that he deserved."

Now you may say that he's just a corrupt, hypocritical, child molesting conservative, but he's been cleared of any charges. The accusations of child molestation come from guilt by association at best. He was never implicated back in 1981 when his friend David D. Hahn was charged with sexual abuse, and reporter Bill Morlin was never able to find a link between West and the alleged sexual abuse committed by Hahn. Even the FBI cleared him of any criminal activity after searching and seizing his personal items....

...and all this for what? Because he messed around on gay.com?

Now you may say that he was a hypocritical gay man that supported legislation to keep homosexuals form working in schools and daycare centers...and his response to that highlights what I touched on earlier:

From article:
"If someone hires you to paint their house red, then you paint it red. Even if you think it would look better green."

Amazon

Oh I suppose it kind of boils down to the Pink Elephant Brigade.. doing whatever they can to harm others who are just like them.

Or maybe they fear/understand the dangers of thier depravity and the effect it has against children?

Amazon

one would think if you are going to wrap yourself in the mantra of Family Values and your love of God.. you could actually follow those values???

Again, we all fail...do we not? I admire those who will not be taken captive by their own depravity and refuse to give in to iniquity and that ridiculous cop-out excuse of "this is just who I am"

Coreece

Or maybe they fear/understand the dangers of thier depravity and the effect it has against children?

Could you expand on these dangers and subsequent effects? Sources for your propaganda material would be appreciated.

Coreece

Again, we all fail...do we not? I admire those who will not be taken captive by their own depravity and refuse to give in to iniquity and that ridiculous cop-out excuse of "this is just who I am"

Depravity according to whom? Assuming that you're straight, why have you never tried not being straight? Don't try telling me that's just who you are, that's just a ridiculous cop-out excuse... :)
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

Could you expand on these dangers and subsequent effects? Sources for your propaganda material would be appreciated.

We were talking about Mayor James West and his relationship to his friend and colleague who was charged with sexual assault while they were boyscout leaders. Perhaps Mr. west, having first hand knowledge, felt that his brand of homosexuality put children at risk, thus making it rather easier for him to support legislation that would limit that type of exposure to his constituent's children?

mistercwood

Depravity according to whom?

God. This is a thread attempting to justify homosexuality with the Bible...good luck....especially when the main argument equates anal sex to eating shellfish.

Edit:
Excuse me, I forgot to address this part of your post:
mistercwood

Assuming that you're straight, why have you never tried not being straight? Don't try telling me that's just who you are, that's just a ridiculous cop-out excuse...

Unmarried heterosexual Christians struggle with lust everyday, but we don't feel it necessary to have parades that celebrate the pride of our failures and then attempt to justify it just because we eat shrimp...

As a christian, Paul makes it perfectly clear that we are not to judge those on the outside, but rather those who call themselves brother or sister:

1 Corinthians 5:12-13
What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

I tolerate homosexuality in society and even in my own household, but I will not tolerate it in my Church...If you don't like, then there are plenty of other gods you can worship who would be more than happy to accommodate your sin.

Do what you want, but don't expect me to sit quietly on the sidelines when homosexuals bring God into the mix and attempt to justify their behavior with the Bible...

But if you want to find the truth, we'd be more than happy to support you and face our struggles together...

I hadn't read the previous link, but I get where you were coming from now. Please don't make the fallacious link between homosexuality and paedophilia - one is an attraction between consenting adults, the other is the work of a predator. Trying to equate the two is lazy.

Coreece

I tolerate homosexuality in society and even in my own household, but I will not tolerate it in my Church...If you don't like, then there are plenty of other gods you can worship who would be more than happy to accommodate your sin.

That's... a start, I guess.

Coreece

Do what you want, but don't expect me to sit quietly on the sidelines when homosexuals bring God into the mix and attempt to justify their behavior with the Bible...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to justify homosexuality with the Bible. I have however seen many "Christians" condemn homosexuals based on a single select passage of scripture, while ignoring whole swathes of - according to other passages - equally abhorrent behaviour.

The hypocrisy and cherry-picking is what many of us have an issue with - we're not trying to justify homosexuality with the Bible, we're saying it's selective BS when Christians try to use it to discriminate (and legislate) against homosexuals.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

Please don't make the fallacious link between homosexuality and paedophilia.

I understand your concern, but please remember that it was Amazon introduced the link about a homosexual conservative with potential ties to pedophilia...that was sort of my point in response to the link. Why do liberals use this man as a punching bag against republicans when the discrimination against his sexuality is much more troublesome?

mistercwood

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to justify homosexuality with the Bible.

That's what this thread is about...it's basically saying that homosexuality is ok because christians now eat shellfish...it's so ridiculous that I feel like a sucker for even responding to the idea....

mistercwood

I have however seen many "Christians" condemn homosexuals based on a single select passage of scripture, while ignoring whole swathes of - according to other passages - equally abhorrent behaviour.

The hypocrisy and cherry-picking is what many of us have an issue with - we're not trying to justify homosexuality with the Bible, we're saying it's selective BS when Christians try to use it to discriminate (and legislate) against homosexuals.

First of all, it's certainly more than a "single select passage of scripture" ...there are plenty of verses against homosexuality, but it all really comes down to lust and the heart of man, regardless of your sexual preference.

Second, from my point of view, this really isn't about hypocrisy, cherry picking, or discrimination....it's about people saying that homosexuality isn't a sin. Of course there is "equally abhorrent behavior" by christians, but they're not trying to justify it.

As I said, if you want to find the truth and face our struggles together, then I can accommodate you, but if all you want is for the church to accept your sin, then take a hike...The church is a place to deal with our problems, not give into them.

Coreece

***Please don't make the fallacious link between homosexuality and paedophilia.

I understand your concern, but please remember that it was Amazon introduced the link about a homosexual conservative with potential ties to pedophilia...that was sort of my point in response to the link. Why do liberals use this man as a punching bag against republicans when the discrimination against his sexuality is much more troublesome?

Same reason some conservatives use gun-control proposing Democrats as a punching-bag if they also own/carry firearms, I guess.

Coreece

***I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to justify homosexuality with the Bible.

That's what this thread is about...it's basically saying that homosexuality is ok because christians now eat shellfish...it's so ridiculous that I feel like a sucker for even responding to the idea....

I've never read it that way. It's people saying if you're going to point to scripture as the reason for your judgement, you better not be picking and choosing which bits are ok to ignore - it's all up for debate, or none of it is.

Coreece

*** I have however seen many "Christians" condemn homosexuals based on a single select passage of scripture, while ignoring whole swathes of - according to other passages - equally abhorrent behaviour.

First of all, it's certainly more than a "single select passage of scripture" ...there are plenty of verses against homosexuality, but it all really comes down to lust and the heart of man, regardless of your sexual preference.

I'm unfamiliar with any verses other than the oft-quoted (and-misquoted) one from Leviticus. Sure there's plenty relating to lust, but that would apply across the board. Happy for you to enlighten me further.

Coreece

Second, from my point of view, this really isn't about hypocrisy, cherry picking, or discrimination....it's about people saying that homosexuality isn't a sin. Of course there is "equally abhorrent behavior" by christians, but they're not trying to justify it.

If you define it as a sin because that's what your book says, then you should be spending equal time addressing all the other things it says is a sin. The second you harp on about one point and let the rest slide, then you ARE guilty of hypocrisy, cherry-picking and discrimination.

Coreece

As I said, if you want to find the truth and face our struggles together, then I can accommodate you, but if all you want is for the church to accept your sin, then take a hike...The church is a place to deal with our problems, not give into them.

Just so we're clear, I'm straight. However my brother is not. Quite a few of my friends are not. And it pisses me off no end watching people treat them as anything less than another human being simply because they love someone who doesn't have the "correct" equipment.

You're all good to keep your church, I have no need for it myself - I've studied religions here and there but I've otherwise managed quite well without it. Of course I would not begrudge you your need for it if that's what works for you.

mistercwood

If you define it as a sin because that's what your book says, then you should be spending equal time addressing all the other things it says is a sin. The second you harp on about one point and let the rest slide, then you ARE guilty of hypocrisy, cherry-picking and discrimination.

When I was young (5-7?), I certainly had my curiosities...some of those curiosities would probably even be considered homosexual by today's standards. Even at that young age, I still felt there was something wrong with it.

In the latter years of my adolescents, even masturbation felt wrong. It was something to be ashamed of even though there was no outside influence from society to feel that way.

Several years ago my 5 year old cousin was playing in the pool by herself with her barbie doll...unbeknownst to her, I had just walked up behind the pool and caught her kissing the barbie doll...when she finally heard me, she abruptly moved the barbie doll away from her mouth in embarrassment as if she innately knew it was wrong. She didn't need society nor religion to tell her it was wrong...It was God within her...the same way I knew my feelings were wrong without societies influence.

That is called a conscience...it's very sensitive at a young age, but as we get older, we violate it and tend to sear it to the point were it practically becomes useless.

So no...it's not just because the bible says it's sin...it's because we know it's wrong.

But yes...the Bible also says it's wrong. You don't go to church, so you don't see how we address various sin in the church, nor do you have any right to say that we don't...now we certainly have disagreements in how this sin is addressed, but there is no disagreement to what sin is...

The problem here is that society seems to want the church to accept homosexuality as if it's not sin...and that's just not going to happen.

Please, don't be so sensitive...if society made a big media stink and attacked the church by saying that murder was not a sin, then the church would respond with the same treatment as it does to homosexuality...but we don't have that problem because we all agree that murder is wrong.

mistercwood

it pisses me off no end watching people treat them as anything less than another human being simply because they love someone who doesn't have the "correct" equipment.

Exactly, so where's the outrage from the gay community when it comes to the story of James West?

They just rather throw him under the bus and make political jabs against conservatives rather than recognizing the injustice of the situation and using it to their advantage...

*edited to correct the formatting - still getting use to the new code format...

Coreece

When I was young (5-7?), I certainly had my curiosities...some of those curiosities would probably even be considered homosexual by today's standards. Even at that young age, I still felt there was something wrong with it.

That would be a clear indication that you're straight. Those curiosities didn't "click" with your make-up.

Coreece

In the latter years of my adolescents, even masturbation felt wrong. It was something to be ashamed of even though there was no outside influence from society to feel that way.

Did your religious upbringing (assuming you were raised with faith, rather than coming to it later) touch on that in a negative way? Otherwise, no big deal - if it don't feel right don't do it.

Coreece

Several years ago my 5 year old cousin was playing in the pool by herself with her barbie doll...unbeknownst to her, I had just walked up behind the pool and caught her kissing the barbie doll...when she finally heard me, she abruptly moved the barbie doll away from her mouth in embarrassment as if she innately knew it was wrong. She didn't need society nor religion to tell her it was wrong...It was God within her...the same way I knew my feelings were wrong without societies influence.

If you'd caught me doing that with my sister's barbie doll at that age I'd have reacted the same, even though we're the "correct" gender pairing. She was investigating boundaries and exploring, and she'll be naturally self-conscious about it at that age. This is developmental psych 101, no need for divine inspiration.

Coreece

That is called a conscience...it's very sensitive at a young age, but as we get older, we violate it and tend to sear it to the point were it practically becomes useless.
So no...it's not just because the bible says it's sin...it's because we know it's wrong.

No, you know it's wrong for you. Roughly 15% of the population disagree with you, but they're not asking you to join them, only to let them be who they are. Imagine someone telling you any attraction you felt for a woman was unnatural and you should just stop it?? That's patently ridiculous and you'd be right to tell them where to go.

Btw, not being on the psychopathic or sociopathic spectrums means I'm aware of what a conscience is and I'm pretty confident mine functions just fine thanks. In fact I'd argue that my sense of right and wrong is much better developed as an adult than it was when I was a child.

Coreece

But yes...the Bible also says it's wrong. You don't go to church, so you don't see how we address various sin in the church, nor do you have any right to say that we don't...now we certainly have disagreements in how this sin is addressed, but there is no disagreement to what sin is...

I've been to church plenty, I've sung the songs and studied the passages. I just said I have no need for it in my life - there was nothing I learned there about how to be a good person and be kind to others that was exclusive to a religious source. I like the good that many churches do in the world, but religion does not have a monopoly on morality.

Regarding the bolded part: Until I hear of faith-inspired legislation being proposed to ban Footballs (Lev 11:8), banning barber shops and razor blades (Lev 19:27), boycott The Gap's new poly-cotton blend range (Lev 19:19), proposing capital punishment for swearing at your parents (Lev 20:9) and so on and so forth, then YES I bloody well DO have a right to say that the churches approach to sin is more than a tad unbalanced and unhealthily preoccupied with what consenting adults do in their own bedrooms.

Coreece

The problem here is that society seems to want the church to accept homosexuality as if it's not sin...and that's just not going to happen.

Please, don't be so sensitive...if society made a big media stink and attacked the church by saying that murder was not a sin, then the church would respond with the same treatment as it does to homosexuality...but we don't have that problem because we all agree that murder is wrong.

That's because all crime and wrong-doing boils down to a question of harm.

Murder - Someone was deprived of their life
Rape - Someone was deprived of their bodily autonomy
Theft - Someone was deprived of their property

Homosexuality - 2 consenting adults have an emotional and/or physical bond. Oh the horror... :P

Coreece

Exactly, so where's the outrage from the gay community when it comes to the story of James West?

They just rather throw him under the bus and make political jabs against conservatives rather than recognizing the injustice of the situation and using it to their advantage...

The stain of kiddy-fiddling accusations is damn near impossible for anyone to wash off, regardless of innocence or guilt. His story is a rather tragic one, I would absolutely agree. I don't see there that he was necessarily ousted because he was gay, it seems more that his reputation had been damaged too badly for the comfort of his party so they asked him to fall on his sword. More power to him for not just folding I guess, but the people spoke with the recall results.

There may have been some outrage from the gay community for all we know, but everyone would be entitled to their own opinion on the matter. If I'd got a good kicking from a bully for a while, it'd be a challenge to watch my attacker end up on the receiving end of the same bullying and not see it as some sort of poetic justice.

Not saying it would be right, just human nature.

Coreece

As a christian, Paul makes it perfectly clear that we are not to judge those on the outside, but rather those who call themselves brother or sister:

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

Time for another Inquisition?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Coreece

But if you want to find the truth, we'd be more than happy to support you and face our struggles together...

So do you tolerate divorced people in your church?
Or remarried (divorced and remarried) people?

How about unmarried couples?

There's a lot more in the bible about those sins than about homosexuality.

There's even punishments proscribed.

Do you follow those?

Or do you simply pick and choose which sins you (and your church) think are "Bad" and which ones you let slide?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

mistercwood

Imagine someone telling you any attraction you felt for a woman was unnatural and you should just stop it?? That's patently ridiculous and you'd be right to tell them where to go.

Well, the issue doesn't seem to be so much about the attraction as it is the lust, regardless of your sexual preference. People in the church struggle with it everyday, but that doesn't mean we should just give up and say "oh, this is too hard...it's ridiculous, let's just cross those sins off the list."

If anybody tells you that Christianity is easy, then they are lying.

wolfriverjoe

So do you tolerate divorced people in your church?
Or remarried (divorced and remarried) people?

How about unmarried couples?

There's a lot more in the bible about those sins than about homosexuality.

There's even punishments proscribed.

Do you follow those?

Or do you simply pick and choose which sins you (and your church) think are "Bad" and which ones you let slide?

We have both divorcees and homosexuals in the Church and we get along just fine. We do not disagree that both are sinful and we support each other in our struggles...