Iago

Knife attack in China- 29 dead

GD64

Yes, especially those black, high-capacity, assault ones.

Condolences to family and friends of the dead.

Condolences - Of course, but if we didn't have the clips that held so many knives and just had shot knives this wouldn't have happened. Period!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

"Twenty-nine people were killed and 130 were injured Saturday night when 10 men armed...."

Cho killed more than this on his own.
As did Breivik.
Lanza killed 26 on his own.

Of course, they didn't use knives.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Iago

29 Dead, 100+ Wounded in China rail station

Regardless of your stance on knife control, none of this would have happened if none of them had access to knives.

And they don't have a use for knives anyways, they use chopsticks...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>they use chopsticks...

Chopsticks could be deadly if sharpened up.
Then put then in a high capacity belt pouch and you basically have a high capacity chopstick magazine.
Chopsticks should be banned along with all knives,forks,sporks,spoons that could hold an edge,pencils,pens.rocks,sticks.... ha ha ha ha ha I actual watched an interview of a progressive liberal who said all of this minus the chopsticks,but I'm sure he would have wanted them banned as well.

quade

The idiotic, false equivalency being drawn in this thread was inevitable.

/sigh

There is literally no hope for humanity.

Absolutely. Remember when the failure of humanity was exemplified by grous of people committing mass murder? I'm heartened that we've come far enough in our societal enlightenment to see that those poor souls who had to kill people with sharp objects aren't the worst.

It's the people who point out how dangerous knives are who are evidence that there - LITERALLY - no hope for humanity.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Humanity is empathy for your fellow man.

The people in this thread making the false equivalency in order to push an completely unrelated agenda have none.

Therefore, there is literally no hope for humanity here.

If a person's first thought after a mass killing is to make a stupid joke to "win" pundit points, then that person is a horrible person. People like that should be ashamed of themselves. End of story.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Humanity is empathy for your fellow man.

The people in this thread making the false equivalency in order to push an completely unrelated agenda have none.

Therefore, there is literally no hope for humanity here.

If a person's first thought after a mass killing is to make a stupid joke to "win" pundit points, then that person is a horrible person. People like that should be ashamed of themselves. End of story.

Everybody was Kung foo fighting.... those fists were fast as lightning...

CRAP now that music will not get out of my HEAD.....:ph34r:

Evil people will do evil. It's the only method of identifying them.

Take away one tool, they will pick up another.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

Evil people will do evil. It's the only method of identifying them.

Take away one tool, they will pick up another.

Some tools are more equal than others.

toolbox

I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.
Guns are equalizers. Even a little old lady can defend herself from much bigger,stronger,and better trained combatants,if she has a gun.

Then Americans must be mighty stupid, cause even with all those guns, you guys keep shooting eachother.

SkyDekker

Regardless of your stance on knife control, none of this would have happened if none of them had access to knives.

Regardless of your stance on gun control, more people would have been dead if this guy had used firearms.

Or, someone in the crowd would have stopped it cold. Every coin has two sides. Predicting what might have been is a very tricky business.

What if it was a suicide bomber? Nerve gas? Train derailment (intentional)? Pressure cooker bomb?

Evil people will do evil.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

Regardless of your stance on gun control, more people would have been dead if this guy had used firearms.

Or, someone in the crowd would have stopped it cold. Every coin has two sides. Predicting what might have been is a very tricky business.

What if it was a suicide bomber? Nerve gas? Train derailment (intentional)? Pressure cooker bomb?

Exactly....which is why I always chuckle at people saying that an outcome is inevitable regardless of the availability of tools.

davjohns

Predicting the results of any one incident can be very tricky. In the aggregate (statistically), not so much.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

quade

If only George Bush would have been more diplomatic with China. None of this would have happened.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

SkyDekker

THESE GUYS. Apparently there were 10 of them.

davjohns

The article said there were 10 attackers. So what is the "someone" in the crowd going to do about 10 people armed with guns making a coordinated attack?

Or say there had been 20 armed people in the crowd. Now speculate on how 20 random people with guns, not knowing who is who, would have fared against 10 armed, coordinated attackers.

quade

The idiotic, false equivalency being drawn in this thread was inevitable.

/sigh

There is literally no hope for humanity.

"When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, 'Try it one more time.' "
~ Unknown
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Judging by events in recent history (Kenya 2013, Mumbai 2008) had the attackers had firearms the death toll would have been on the order of double and maybe 50% more injured. I say this without detailed knowledge of the layout of the train station or how much time they spent planning the attack though. Coordinated use of high-explosives (London 2005, Mumbai 1993, Bali 2002) can produce significantly more casualties, particularly injuries.

The choice of weapon is a factor in how "successful" an attack will be, but so is the choice of targets and location. The effect of adding more people to an attack is likely highly dependent on location (Kenya 2013 vs Noway 2011.) More important than either is conviction of the person or people doing the attacking (LAX 2013, Centennial 2013.)

SkyDekker

***I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.
Guns are equalizers. Even a little old lady can defend herself from much bigger,stronger,and better trained combatants,if she has a gun.

Then Americans must be mighty stupid, cause even with all those guns, you guys keep shooting eachother. Nobody gets shot in Canada? Sounds like the perfect place. The title of this is: "Grief and few solutions in wake of mass Toronto shooting"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/grief-and-few-solutions-in-wake-of-mass-toronto-shooting/article4424591/

Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.