wmw999

Americans: What would it take for you to leave America for good?

davjohns

Good question. I don't think the US is on a downward spiral the way some others think. But it's worth the time to figure out what your triggers are.

For purely financial reasons, I would head for the Phillipines or somewhere else that I could live well on my retirement benefits. The problems with that is leaving family in the States. So, it is unlikely.

For political reasonsto move: I consider the 2nd amendment the lynchpin of all rights. If a serious effort is made to deprive law abiding citizens of their unalienable right to keep and bear arms, I think things will spiral downhill quickly. If a rebellion failed to develop of failed to set things straight, I would probably find somewhere else to live. I can't imagine things would get better after that.

My brother lives in the phillipines. While it does have alot of plusses...like my brothers 6 bedroom house cost him 22,000 dollars...he had to erect a water tower of his own to get running water. And having to learn another language would be a detractor for me. However, if I wanted to make the move I could do it in a heartbeat and my brother would help me. Right now I'm happy where I'm at. Texas is a good state to live in.

Boogers

***phillipines. While it does have alot of plusses...

+: LBFM's

:D:D:D

I learned that acronym when I read "Rogue Warrior".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wmw999

What would have to happen for you to leave America?

Between CBT, FBAR, and FATCA it might not be so easy to leave even if you want to.

CBT == Citizenship Based Taxation. Unique to the USA and our great partner in crime on the world stage, Eritrea.

FBAR == Foreign Bank Account Report.

FATCA == Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

It wouldn't take much f/ the wife & I to bail. We bought 10 acres outside of Amsterdam in 2001. It's got a 900 sq. ft. cabin on it near water. I can smell the snow from here! Last election my wife & I didn't even vote b/c honestly we felt the "Depth Chart" wasn't deep enough. I wish GW could have stayed, but if DICK Bruce Cheney would have been on the ticket, no dice.
Amsterdam is a really cool village & flying in & out of Sciphol is a blast!! If any of you guys haven't been there you'd absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

Best-
Richard

rehmwa

I'd think it would be if the government decided to take private accounts for the good of all (example, "since your 401K is for retirement, then we should take it for social security and share it with everyone")

that would signal a pretty blatant move away from individualism and any semblance of private property rights - though we've been trending in that direction for some time, I'd don't think even this government would cross that line in my lifetime.

and, as said elsewhere - even if they would do it, it would be stealthy and too late for me to leave anyway. though I do believe there are many that post here that think it's a fine idea, I trust the huge majority clearly don't.

Now, I'm wondering how many Americans have retirement accounts and how much is held in them. At some point, this becomes an easy sell to those who did not save. If they are in the large majority, it's easy to see people with retirement accounts cast in the same light as the 'rich' are now. Food for thought.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

rwieder

It wouldn't take much f/ the wife & I to bail. We bought 10 acres outside of Amsterdam in 2001. It's got a 900 sq. ft. cabin on it near water. I can smell the snow from here! Last election my wife & I didn't even vote b/c honestly we felt the "Depth Chart" wasn't deep enough. I wish GW could have stayed, but if DICK Bruce Cheney would have been on the ticket, no dice.
Amsterdam is a really cool village & flying in & out of Sciphol is a blast!! If any of you guys haven't been there you'd absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

Best-
Richard

Not sure if you could describe Amsterdam as a village.

Here is some Amsterdam trivia for you. Amsterdam is the capital of The Netherlands. However Amsterdam lacks something that every other capital in the world has. What is that?

rwieder

Will Amsterdam let you have a bank account there?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/09/27/american-expats/1594695/
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

SkyDekker

Amsterdam is the capital of The Netherlands. However Amsterdam lacks something that every other capital in the world has. What is that?

National government & supreme court offices. Also, all the foreign embassies associated with a national capital.

Aside: I love Amsterdam and the Dutch people. Actually, the entire Netherlands is pretty damned great. In my working life, a significant portion of my customers were Dutch emigre's. An absolute pleasure to deal with. (imho)

National government & supreme court offices. Also, all the foreign embassies associated with a national capital.

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

You aint Dutch, you aint much...

Or as my old boss used to say: wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen

davjohns

***I'd think it would be if the government decided to take private accounts for the good of all (example, "since your 401K is for retirement, then we should take it for social security and share it with everyone")

Now, I'm wondering how many Americans have retirement accounts and how much is held in them. At some point, this becomes an easy sell to those who did not save. If they are in the large majority, it's easy to see people with retirement accounts cast in the same light as the 'rich' are now. Food for thought.

I can see the mailed notice now...

There is a projected shortfall of 23% of the scheduled social security payments. In order to cover this shortfall and ensure you are able to receive all the benefits you are owed, 401(k) balances are being automatically rolled over into the Social Security system.

Don't worry, no action is necessary on your part.

champu

******I'd think it would be if the government decided to take private accounts for the good of all (example, "since your 401K is for retirement, then we should take it for social security and share it with everyone")

I can see the mailed notice now...

There is a projected shortfall of 23% of the scheduled social security payments. In order to cover this shortfall and ensure you are able to receive all the benefits you are owed, 401(k) balances are being automatically rolled over into the Social Security system.

Don't worry, no action is necessary on your part.

Some people were hoarding their extra large portion of the pie...that's not fair!
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I think most Americans will leave when the money needed to keep the military and defence industries afloat isn't borrowed but fully charged back to society.

Capitalists and Communists really are no different.

Capitalist wants everything, but wants others to pay for it.
Communist wants everything, but wants others to work for it.

SkyDekker

I think most Americans will leave when the money needed to keep the military and defence industries afloat isn't borrowed but fully charged back to society.

Yeah, but when we get to that point, it ain't going to be easy to leave. Just this week, for example, Canada became the 22nd world government to sign a FATCA agreement with Washington:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/02/07/canada-hungary-sign-u-s-fatca-deals-irs-to-get-data/

US citizens have to pay tax on their worldwide income even if they have no ties at all to the US. FATCA is an enforcement mechanism for this. In the case of Canada, for example, it means that come July 1, it will be a violation of Canadian law if a US or dual citizen in Canada fails to come clean with their US tax data (such as their US social security number) to Canadian banks. Albeit smaller Canadian credit unions still seem to be exempt--for now.

The clear message of FATCA to US citizens owing US tax is that you can run but you can't hide.

The clear message of FATCA to US citizens owing US tax is that you can run but you can't hide.

Added to this, Canadians are slightly more free than their Americans cousins, though it is debatable as to how free Canucks really are.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

Added to this, Canadians are slightly more free than their Americans cousins, though it is debatable as to how free Canucks really are.

Agreed--however, FATCA enforcement is by no means unique to Canada. Canada is merely the most recent nation to sign. Switzerland, for example, signed much earlier than Canada and has already effectively ended a centuries-old tradition of banking secrecy--at least when it comes to Americans with Swiss bank accounts. This has made life very difficult for American expats in Switzerland--including honest middle class taxpayers who simply happen to have a job in Switzerland.

CanuckInUSA

perhaps, but you have an unusually high weighting constant in the "frequently rolls naked in the snow after hot tubbing with mooses" category of the 'freedom checklist assessment form'.

I think it's highly biased.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've been thinking very seriously about this very question.
First, it would take having a place to go where I can use the skillset I possess and make a living income.
Second, it would have to be an english speaking place. I'm too old to learn and be proficient at a second language.
Third, it would take a commitment on the part of my new homeland to not go the same path as the US. No sense in jumping from one sinking ship to another.
Fourth, it would take a wholesale action on the part of the state to take some action against me. Something like the TPP or the establishment of a state church or a requirement for gun ownership. Or expansion of NSA wiretapping to include sale of information to private companies ( I predict they will do this in the future.)

Other than that, I don't know.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

it would take a wholesale action on the part of the state to take some action against me. Something like the TPP or the establishment of a state church or a requirement for gun ownership. Or expansion of NSA wiretapping to include sale of information to private companies ( I predict they will do this in the future.) Other than that, I don't know.

What's "TPP"?