grue

Political correctness gone mad: Morons request removal of description of criminal suspects

You lost me with that argument. It sounds like you are saying that if you can't narrow the field to only what you can handle, you should not narrow the field at all.

You're saying:

If no police work can be done.
Do pointless busy work wasting resources.

You say I'm saying:

If no police work.
Give up.

What I'm actually saying:

If no police work, do your fucking job and try harder to get meaningful leads.

i will have to admit to not being an expert in all aspects of programming. or even familiar with a lot of it. i had totally forgotten the pascal reference, it has been ages since i looked at any of that. i humbly stand corrected.

and no, i do not remember .ne, must be way before my time.

sfzombie13

i will have to admit to not being an expert in all aspects of programming. or even familiar with a lot of it. i had totally forgotten the pascal reference, it has been ages since i looked at any of that. i humbly stand corrected.

and no, i do not remember .ne, must be way before my time.

Kids these days!! Think they invented computer code.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

nope, just avid at math. i was actually not thinking about computers at all when i made the comment. and that's the first time i've been called a kid since becoming a grandpa for the 3d time. thanx, i think.

sfzombie13

nope, just avid at math. i was actually not thinking about computers at all when i made the comment. and that's the first time i've been called a kid since becoming a grandpa for the 3d time. thanx, i think.

.NE. is FORTRAN for not equal in all dialects up to and including FORTRAN2008. Way before your time?

yep. fortran or anything like it is way before. now, math on the other hand, i actually love and enjoy. and i do not recall that being used in math. and i do believe my statement about not being familiar with much programming would, if not nullify this angle, at least explain my ignorance.

now, if you could provide me with some links to some online reference material for chemistry, specifically how carbon bonds are formed and broken down relating to 4-mchm, pph, or formaldehyde, or any interactions with chlorine or flouride, i would appreciate it. i am becoming an activist here trying to get some changes made in regulations of hazards, but some of the groups are linking to bad science, and i don't know who to trust. i do know that when one group puts out bad science, the other side can completely discredit everything else using this example.

sfzombie13

yep. fortran or anything like it is way before. now, math on the other hand, i actually love and enjoy. and i do not recall that being used in math. and i do believe my statement about not being familiar with much programming would, if not nullify this angle, at least explain my ignorance.

now, if you could provide me with some links to some online reference material for chemistry, specifically how carbon bonds are formed and broken down relating to 4-mchm, pph, or formaldehyde, or any interactions with chlorine or flouride, i would appreciate it. i am becoming an activist here trying to get some changes made in regulations of hazards, but some of the groups are linking to bad science, and i don't know who to trust. i do know that when one group puts out bad science, the other side can completely discredit everything else using this example.

FORTRAN is still used extensively in heavy duty scientific number crunching like nuclear weapons simulation, weather forecasting, astrophysics, etc., for which is was originally developed. While of almost no use in GUIs or web based apps, or NSA snooping, it remains a viable language for scientists and engineers.

I am not a chemist. Maybe winsor can help on your bonding question.

kallend

***yep. fortran or anything like it is way before. now, math on the other hand, i actually love and enjoy. and i do not recall that being used in math. and i do believe my statement about not being familiar with much programming would, if not nullify this angle, at least explain my ignorance.

FORTRAN is still used extensively in heavy duty scientific number crunching like nuclear weapons simulation, weather forecasting, astrophysics, etc., for which is was originally developed. While of almost no use in GUIs or web based apps, or NSA snooping, it remains a viable language for scientists and engineers.

I am not a chemist. Maybe winsor can help on your bonding question.

The problem we have here is that there is a great deal of reference material available for the subjects mentioned, but its perusal is not likely to be of much use.

One can have a very good handle on Chemistry at the K-12 level - which is great, in and of itself. Four or more years of dedicated Undergraduate study can then prepare someone for a rigorous Graduate program. If all goes well, one can expect to have a really good handle on the subject some four to six years thereafter.

My point here is not that one's understanding of valence states and so forth as learned in High School is wrong or not useful, but that there is a hell of a lot more going on in the overall scheme of things than one can pick up by a simple literature review. Putting available data into useful perspective, given the way the questions were phrased, is unlikely at best.

Wading through the agenda of various sources is an art unto itself. Given the issues you raise, I would caution you to curb your enthusiasm regarding 'activism' in the search for solution via regulation. There is a better than even chance that, when addressing very real problems, the cure will be well worse than the disease.

If you have a couple of semesters free, I can put together a course of study that could get your head above water regarding your subjects of concern. If it is important to you, I strongly suggest it, since you are unlikely to make much headway without a basic level of understanding.

Good luck,

Winsor

kelpdiver

******And <> is valid in Excel.

Which should itself be taken as some sort of proof it's fucked up evil straight from the eighth dimension.

basic, pascal, and excel - not really the supporter you want.

You can blast it, but the prevalent and wide use of Excel gives it a lot of credence. Doesn't matter to me - I can use != just as long as I'm somehow informed of the change.

davjohns

I read the article, but not the underlying letter. There is no logic behind what I read.

A murderer is on the loose. If I use two words to describe the murderer: 'Black' eliminates 87% of the US population. 'Male' eliminates 52% of the US population. Between those two words, I've narrowed my search to roughly 6 out of every 100 persons. Why would I NOT do so? If I knew his name and SSN, I would broadcast that.

The evidence does not suggest racial profiling. It suggests good police work. If the majority of calls are describing a black male (as the article suggests), then the question is whether the description is ordinarily accurate.

If the majority of crimes are being committed by black males, this same community of organizations that promote themselves as champions of the black male should look internally for their solutions.

If the majority of crimes are being committed by black males, then a brief statistical analysis would suggest the police should be looking for a black male even in crimes where those details are not known. (If 85% of recent car thefts are by a purple labrador and a car has been stolen; look for a purple labrador. The odds are with you.)

If the majority of crimes are being perpetrated by purple labradors and the police are broadcasting and looking for black males, then they probably have a problem with racial profiling.

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. When your organization's purpose for existing is racially motivated, every problem looks like racism.

Thank you- that is probably the best analysis of the issue I have ever seen.

davjohns

I read the article, but not the underlying letter. There is no logic behind what I read.

A murderer is on the loose. If I use two words to describe the murderer: 'Black' eliminates 87% of the US population. 'Male' eliminates 52% of the US population. Between those two words, I've narrowed my search to roughly 6 out of every 100 persons. Why would I NOT do so? If I knew his name and SSN, I would broadcast that.

The evidence does not suggest racial profiling. It suggests good police work. If the majority of calls are describing a black male (as the article suggests), then the question is whether the description is ordinarily accurate.

If the majority of crimes are being committed by black males, this same community of organizations that promote themselves as champions of the black male should look internally for their solutions.

If the majority of crimes are being committed by black males, then a brief statistical analysis would suggest the police should be looking for a black male even in crimes where those details are not known. (If 85% of recent car thefts are by a purple labrador and a car has been stolen; look for a purple labrador. The odds are with you.)

If the majority of crimes are being perpetrated by purple labradors and the police are broadcasting and looking for black males, then they probably have a problem with racial profiling.

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. When your organization's purpose for existing is racially motivated, every problem looks like racism.

Would you mind if I copy that entire post verbatim?
cavete terrae.

Anything I post in public is fair game. Thanks for asking, though.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

A murderer is on the loose. If I use two words to describe the murderer: 'Black' eliminates 87% of the US population. 'Male' eliminates 52% of the US population. Between those two words, I've narrowed my search to roughly 6 out of every 100 persons.

That depends on what is done with the information. If it is used to now stop every single black male it is a waste of resources compared to doing actual police work generating more leads.

The complaint tends to be that the racial description takes on more weight than other descriptors.

Let's say the description is: Black Male fled in a white camry.

The complaints tend to be around the issue that a black male in a green camry will also get stopped. But a white male in a white camry will not.

this i can understand. i don't have any links, but have read before where eyewitness testimony is usually mistaken. so, if a black male in a green camry is stopped, then so be it. i would go one further saying that in this case, all camrys should be stopped, but not all black males. i would even go one further and say that all cars that look like a camry should also be stopped. a lot of cars nowadays look alike. this is not unreasonable.

now, that comes with a limitation. they should be stopped, and possibly asked a few questions, not harassed. i see nothing wrong with stopping anyone who comes close to fitting a description. i do see a problem with detaining or arresting anyone. or using profiling to concentrate only on blacks, but not camrys. this is merely covering all the bases.

Andy9o8

Having read thousands of police reports in my career, and seeing the way most cops spell, I'd probably wonder who the hell would blackmail a white canary.

I guess this falls into the "I helped my uncle jack off a horse" category.

Andy9o8

Having read thousands of police reports in my career, and seeing the way most cops spell, I'd probably wonder who the hell would blackmail a white canary.

:D
cavete terrae.

Andy9o8

It's not hard to find dirt on a white canary.

davjohns

Anything I post in public is fair game. Thanks for asking, though.

So I can copy all your terrible, heart breaking, insubordinate "Turtle" comments?>:(

:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Anything I post in public is fair game. Thanks for asking, though.

So I can copy all your terrible, heart breaking, insubordinate "Turtle" comments?>:(

:P

Insubordinate? I am rarely insubordinate. I am never intentionally insulting. Insolent...maybe.

But feel free to quote my anti-amphibian commentary to whatever government agency handles such whining. I'm sure there is one.

You shouldn't wear your heart on your shell like that.

:D

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

base698

You lost me with that argument. It sounds like you are saying that if you can't narrow the field to only what you can handle, you should not narrow the field at all.

You're saying:

If no police work can be done.
Do pointless busy work wasting resources.

You say I'm saying:

If no police work.
Give up.

What I'm actually saying:

If no police work, do your fucking job and try harder to get meaningful leads.

I'm not trying to be flippant. I consider the physical description of the suspect about as good as leads get unless you have the actual identity. If you have a picture and a means to advertise that, all the better. Advertising the description and seeking public assistance is part of good police work.

How else would police proceed? Post a picture of a fingerprint and ask if anyone recognizes it? Describe the perpetrator without mentioning race and gender?

If you hear a radio announcement that a killer is on the loose; 5ft 5in, dark hair, medium build, wearing jeans and a blue pullover shirt...wouldn't you wonder what idiot decided to report that information, but left out race and gender?

Anchor: "In the news today; police are seeking information from the public on the whereabouts of an arsonist who has perpetrated a dozen arsons in the city. Police know what he/she looks like, but not her/his name. His/her description is being withheld to keep from offending anyone. If you think have any information, please bombard the hotline with useless calls about people police are not looking for, but you couldn't possibly know that because police aren't giving you the description of who they are looking for."

OK. Sorry. I actually did get flippant as I kept typing. :D