RonD1120

A&E Suspends Phil Robertson

the treatment of white sharecroppers in the south is pretty much not that far different from the treatment of black sharecroppers.

Well that's nice, ain't it? Now what about the difference between white sharecroppers and black slaves?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

quade

***If someone can explain to the the rational difference between calling people redneck peckerwoods is functionally or even practically different from calling people jungle bunny jigaboos I'd certainly entertain a discussion as to why racial pejoratives are different from racial pejoratives.

Mostly because the former was never the slaves of the latter.

There really is no racial pejorative a black person can possibly call a white person that will ever remotely have the same effect a racial pejorative a white person can use against a black person. Not in the US as least.

If you don't understand that, you really do need to attend some classes in being a human.

so in order to be a human we must give racist people a pass because others were racist against them in the past??

Do I have that right??
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

so in order to be a human we must give racist people a pass because others were racist against them in the past??

Do I have that right??

Nope. Never said that. Jerry asked what the difference was between two terms. I find it nearly inconceivable a person of his book smarts doesn't know. In fact, I believe he intentionally creates a false equivalency.

Maybe he didn't take some classes the humanities department his university almost certainly offered.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Guess even A&E doesn't really believe in its own principles.

Phil will be on air in January, and

, A&E will air a "Duck Dynasty" marathon on Sunday, Dec. 22
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

Guess even A&E doesn't really believe in its own principles.

Phil will be on air in January, and

, A&E will air a "Duck Dynasty" marathon on Sunday, Dec. 22

Don't believe in it's own principles?
I think it is more an issue of having any to begin with

In any event, if true, this is a good thing

The racism radicals lose another one
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

jakee

The radicals are going to look stupid, very stupid, before this one comes to an end

Why?

One need only read this thread to understand why.[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

jakee

The radicals are going to look stupid, very stupid, before this one comes to an end

Why?

One need only read this thread to understand why.[:/]

Try again with an actual reason.

No

You would not care anyway

(and of course this means I have nothing):D
Abraham Lincoln

jonstark

OK try this on for size.

Just because I judgmentally call a bankrobber a guilty sumbitch doesn't mean he's going to jail. That's for a judge.

Just because Robertson doesn't think the people he mentions are going to heaven doesn't mean that he's the judge. How much more clear do you need it? He believes certain behaviors are not tolerable and says so but knows he's got no real say at the end of the day.

The obvious flaw in this argument is that we exist in the real world, and we do in fact have judges in it, so we can observe the "actual" judgement. In fact, we participate in juries that render that judgement. The judge's role is to ensure that we stick to proper guidelines in the process, and then has some level of discretion in the actual sentencing if we return a guilty verdict.

But any God and its judgement doesn't happen in our plane of existence. If it exists (and to me, that's a no), it happens in a different realm that we do not observe. Pretty convenient - you can't disprove anything that occurs in the afterlife. But that hasn't preclude religion (of all folds) from claiming to know it does, and that these other people, who either look different than us, or act different than us, or merely believe different than us, are FUCKING INFIDELS THAT WILL BE SQUASHED BY GOD. And btw, if you want to help God out and start the beating/killings now, God be with you. You're doing its work.

So, sorry, I have a time time putting it on for size. Christians still fail at "love thy neighbor." Maybe not as badly as Muslims in the other side of the world do, but that's hardly a tall bar. If Christians behaved more like American Muslims or other minority religions, rather than pushing legislation like DMA and other shit to impose their will on the rest of us, no one would have an issue with them.

quade

***so in order to be a human we must give racist people a pass because others were racist against them in the past??

Do I have that right??

Nope. Never said that. Jerry asked what the difference was between two terms. I find it nearly inconceivable a person of his book smarts doesn't know. In fact, I believe he intentionally creates a false equivalency.

Maybe he didn't take some classes the humanities department his university almost certainly offered.

My theory is Jerry is just using us to hone his courtroom debating skills.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

kelpdiver

OK try this on for size.

Just because I judgmentally call a bankrobber a guilty sumbitch doesn't mean he's going to jail. That's for a judge.

Just because Robertson doesn't think the people he mentions are going to heaven doesn't mean that he's the judge. How much more clear do you need it? He believes certain behaviors are not tolerable and says so but knows he's got no real say at the end of the day.

The obvious flaw in this argument is that we exist in the real world, and we do in fact have judges in it, so we can observe the "actual" judgement. In fact, we participate in juries that render that judgement. The judge's role is to ensure that we stick to proper guidelines in the process, and then has some level of discretion in the actual sentencing if we return a guilty verdict.

But any God and its judgement doesn't happen in our plane of existence. If it exists (and to me, that's a no), it happens in a different realm that we do not observe. Pretty convenient - you can't disprove anything that occurs in the afterlife. But that hasn't preclude religion (of all folds) from claiming to know it does, and that these other people, who either look different than us, or act different than us, or merely believe different than us, are FUCKING INFIDELS THAT WILL BE SQUASHED BY GOD. And btw, if you want to help God out and start the beating/killings now, God be with you. You're doing its work.

So, sorry, I have a time time putting it on for size. Christians still fail at "love thy neighbor." Maybe not as badly as Muslims in the other side of the world do, but that's hardly a tall bar. If Christians behaved more like American Muslims or other minority religions, rather than pushing legislation like DMA and other shit to impose their will on the rest of us, no one would have an issue with them.

except that Phil said absolutely nothing about "are FUCKING INFIDELS THAT WILL BE SQUASHED BY GOD. And btw, if you want to help God out and start the beating/killings now, God be with you. You're doing its work."

Read what he said again. That is nothing like what he said.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

kelpdiver

The radicals are failing.....

radical is now defined as opposing discrimination. Interesting world of your's.

actually, it is the radicals who were calling for discrimination against Phil Robertson for stating his opinion. And there was nothing in his opinion about discriminating against anyone.

skypuppy

actually, it is the radicals who were calling for discrimination against Phil Robertson for stating his opinion. And there was nothing in his opinion about discriminating against anyone.

been covered for the last 100 posts here.

some of you people have no understanding of what freedom of speech means. It does not mean that you can save whatever you want, without consequences.

skypuppy

except that Phil said absolutely nothing about "are FUCKING INFIDELS THAT WILL BE SQUASHED BY GOD. And btw, if you want to help God out and start the beating/killings now, God be with you. You're doing its work."

read again what I wrote. That's nothing like what I said.

kelpdiver

read again what I wrote. That's nothing like what I said.

that is indeed a quote from what you said.

kelpdiver

been covered for the last 100 posts here.

some of you people have no understanding of what freedom of speech means. It does not mean that you can save whatever you want, without consequences.

no one said you should say somthing without consequences. but A&E also will have to live with the consequences of their actions, and it won't be pretty. Crackerbarrell already backed down and basically apologized. A&E would have been smarter to state they don't agree with what Phil said, and then let the viewers decide whether they would continue to watch or not. As it is they will lose.

I don't agree with what Phil Robertson said, I agree that A&E should be able to fire him, I believe he has the right to say whatever he wants.

Most people in America really don't give a crap about what he said, but a majority and very LARGE majority want him to be ABLE to say it - even if they don't agree.

In the end the $$ will rule the day A&E blew it - if you agree - and they will find away to save their position.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

kelpdiver

So what you are saying is that tolerance should be maintained/enforced/allowed for only certain viewpoints.

Note: this is what has been popularly called "political correctness." In practical effect it means that tolerance is a one-way street. In practical effect it is bullying. Face the wrath unless you tolerate.

This is a great (well no, really just pedantic) debate club argument, but in the real world, it's just horseshit.

Guilty as charged. I often struggle between actual real-world solutions and the philosophical unease I have with proposed solutions. Yes, I fully support the LGBT community. Yes, I have an intense dislike of the haters of them.

Pragmatism and principle often collide. I wish I had a solution. But the last thing I want to do is dictate right and wrong. Because I've been wrong so many times in the past.

My wife is hotter than your wife.