markbdaniels

Pack of motorcyclists chase man in SUV, attack him on upper Manhattan street after fender bender

lawrocket

It seems pretty clear to me that the guy with the gopro participated in the chase. From the perspective of anybody else, he was part of this gang of thugs chasing the vehicle down. He stopped when the vehicle stopped. Caught up again when the SUV fled. Then stopped again.

GoPro guy better watch his ass, too, and no necessarily from the cops. Things happen to dumbasses posting a video of an extended criminal activity that identifies compatriots. The effect is no better than if he straight up snitched.

So what do you expect to happen, once they identify him?
An immunity deal he can't refuse?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

rehmwa

***Hopefully, he gets a subpoena for the *full* video.
It shouldn't be that hard to find him, since either he, or a buddy, posted that video online.

well, ..... yeah ..... but this is speaker's corner and I want to just pretend a scenario and then get all outraged over that scenario and act like it's the reality. OK?

Edit: and then, even if the truth comes out, I'll just stick with my version anyway and state that if I were on the jury, I'd have stuck to my theory.

The truth came out in the form of a GoPro video of Zimmerman barely surviving the attack by Martin???

Link me to that please.

I did see this video, looks like the dad got chased by a crazy fuckin group of people and defended himself the best he could. Luckily for him he wasnt SHOT and KILLED after being chased. I wonder if he pulled a gun on the guys chasing him, and was subsequently killed, would the pursuers be just "defending themselves"?

kvnhlstd

***I wonder why the biker pulled in front of the SUV and hit the brakes??

The biker would have known this would almost certainly result in getting rear-ended. I personally have only ever used this tactic (in a car) when an aggressive driver behind me kept riding my ass (despite me pulling way over to the side to allow him to overtake). Note: I would not do this now, because I've heard/witnesses too many stories of road rage... :S

So again... Why would the biker deliberately get hit??? That is my question. No video before this act, unfortunately... So hard to say for sure what the "whole story" is... [:/]

I have read in another article that the guy in the Landrover had called the cops on the bikers because they were all over the road and slowing down all the other cars whiles they did tricks and doghnut burnouts. Victim made the mistake of yelling at them and telling them he was on his ceel with PD. That led to the wolfpack and stopping him. After the idiot brake checks him and the landrover clipps the rear of the bike, the victim stops and the bikers started slammimg there helmets into his LR and actually slash one of his tires. It was then that the victim decided to four wheel over a couple of the barricading bikes. Biggest mistake victim made was exiting... should have stayed on the freeway and waited for PD support.

I've watched the bit where he initially stops again and again... It's hard to make out but I don't see any helmets hitting the SUV or people slashing tires (or deflated tires when he gets away)... You also don't hear any yelling (but you do hear the bikes getting run over). It looks like the SUV was surrounded, but no more. If I were in the car at this point, just having lots of people surrounding my vehicle would make me antsy for sure.

Like I said, though... We don't see the before. I've seen plenty of drivers in big cars try to "teach me a lesson" by driving aggressively, blocking my way, opening their doors, et cetera when I myself was doing absolutely nothing wrong (filtering being 100% legal in the UK, as long as it's not at wreckless speeds). They often feel pretty untouchable compared to my little bike as there is little I can do to defend myself or retaliate. So we don't know for sure the SUV wasn't being aggressive as well before the biker decided to force him to stop. Things have a way of escalating when people are upset... Being surrounded by 50 people would make me very scared... Seeing 3-4 people get run over would make a lot of bikers furious...

My guess is the driver helped to initially escalate things. But even if he didn't, if the reports are correct, it's not very clever to taunt a huge group of people by telling them you've called the cops. :S Doesn't mean he deserved what he got, but it wasn't clever.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

******I wonder why the biker pulled in front of the SUV and hit the brakes??

The biker would have known this would almost certainly result in getting rear-ended. I personally have only ever used this tactic (in a car) when an aggressive driver behind me kept riding my ass (despite me pulling way over to the side to allow him to overtake). Note: I would not do this now, because I've heard/witnesses too many stories of road rage... :S

So again... Why would the biker deliberately get hit??? That is my question. No video before this act, unfortunately... So hard to say for sure what the "whole story" is... [:/]

I have read in another article that the guy in the Landrover had called the cops on the bikers because they were all over the road and slowing down all the other cars whiles they did tricks and doghnut burnouts. Victim made the mistake of yelling at them and telling them he was on his ceel with PD. That led to the wolfpack and stopping him. After the idiot brake checks him and the landrover clipps the rear of the bike, the victim stops and the bikers started slammimg there helmets into his LR and actually slash one of his tires. It was then that the victim decided to four wheel over a couple of the barricading bikes. Biggest mistake victim made was exiting... should have stayed on the freeway and waited for PD support.

I've watched the bit where he initially stops again and again... It's hard to make out but I don't see any helmets hitting the SUV or people slashing tires (or deflated tires when he gets away)... You also don't hear any yelling (but you do hear the bikes getting run over). It looks like the SUV was surrounded, but no more. If I were in the car at this point, just having lots of people surrounding my vehicle would make me antsy for sure.

Like I said, though... We don't see the before. I've seen plenty of drivers in big cars try to "teach me a lesson" by driving aggressively, blocking my way, opening their doors, et cetera when I myself was doing absolutely nothing wrong (filtering being 100% legal in the UK, as long as it's not at wreckless speeds). They often feel pretty untouchable compared to my little bike as there is little I can do to defend myself or retaliate. So we don't know for sure the SUV wasn't being aggressive as well before the biker decided to force him to stop. Things have a way of escalating when people are upset... Being surrounded by 50 people would make me very scared... Seeing 3-4 people get run over would make a lot of bikers furious...

My guess is the driver helped to initially escalate things. But even if he didn't, if the reports are correct, it's not very clever to taunt a huge group of people by telling them you've called the cops. :S Doesn't mean he deserved what he got, but it wasn't clever.

Nor is picking a fight with a car/suv when you are on a motorcycle. Even if you are 100% right, you are very likely still going to lose.

Even if buddy was completely in the right being in front of that SUV, he is still never going to walk again. I'll take walking over being right.

Putting this in perspective for a newly recurrent skydiver . . .

What altitude are you allowed to cross the runway under canopy?

What if an aircraft is flying at you at the correct altitude for you to cross the runway?

Do you insist that you are in the right no matter what?

How is that likely to work out for you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've watched the bit where he initially stops again and again... It's hard to make out but I don't see any helmets hitting the SUV or people slashing tires (or deflated tires when he gets away).

Here it shows pictures of a wheel *on the RIGHT side* on its rim.... That does not happen unless you tried to drive on a flat for some period of time.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/01/cops-bust-bike-thug/

It looks like the SUV was surrounded, but no more. If I were in the car at this point, just having lots of people surrounding my vehicle would make me antsy for sure.

If you were driving down the highway and a group of motorcyclists pull in front of you and FORCE you to stop.... That should make you more than antsy.

So we don't know for sure the SUV wasn't being aggressive as well before the biker decided to force him to stop.

We have video that shows the SUV not doing anything of the sort. We have video of the bikes weaving in and around traffic.

My guess is the driver helped to initially escalate things.

And my guess is that the bikers were ridding aggressively and started it... Since it is one to one.... Lets discount both OPINIONS that have no supporting evidence.

But even if he didn't, if the reports are correct, it's not very clever to taunt a huge group of people by telling them you've called the cops

Legal.

What is not legal is forcing someone to stop in the middle of the road because you are upset at them for any reason. What is not legal is slashing a tire, or smashing the side of someones car because you are mad at them

ryoder

Second arrestee ID'd:

"A second suspect — Allen Edwards, 42, of Queens — believed to be the man seen on video striking the Range Rover windows with his fists, surrendered to police on Tuesday. He was charged with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and menacing. It was not immediately known if he had a lawyer."

Ref: http://news.yahoo.com/wife-biker-husband-victim-nyc-altercation-063414964.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

JohnnyMarko

Surrendered to police? Does that mean he turned himself in? If so, I give him a little credit....albeit he was probably going to get caught anyways.

Sounds like he did.
Another article: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/10/01/228075261/nyc-police-studying-shocking-video-of-bikers-attacking-driver

I'm not saying it's the fault of the guy in the SUV, but that we don't see how it escalated. I have my doubts about the SUV driver behaving 100% "correctly" in the situation before the video starts. Even if he did, and all he did was yell at the bikers that he called the cops, this is NOT a clever idea when they massively outnumber/surround you... [:/]

Again, I'm not playing "blame the victim" but in some situations, it's better to keep a low profile.

As for the busted tire - could have happened when the SUV drove over 3 bikers... :S Again, not saying he was wrong to escape - when a mob surrounds you, staying put can be way worse than trying to get away... But we do not see much activity at all when everyone initially stops...

For sure the bikers behaved abominably, but the trouble is when things escalate in a highhly-tense situation, no good can come of it. The right thing to do would have been to stay well clear of the mob in the first place (and then call the cops).

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

I'm not saying it's the fault of the guy in the SUV, but that we don't see how it escalated. I have my doubts about the SUV driver behaving 100% "correctly" in the situation before the video starts. Even if he did, and all he did was yell at the bikers that he called the cops, this is NOT a clever idea when they massively outnumber/surround you... [:/]

Again, I'm not playing "blame the victim" but in some situations, it's better to keep a low profile.

As for the busted tire - could have happened when the SUV drove over 3 bikers... :S Again, not saying he was wrong to escape - when a mob surrounds you, staying put can be way worse than trying to get away... But we do not see much activity at all when everyone initially stops...

For sure the bikers behaved abominably, but the trouble is when things escalate in a highhly-tense situation, no good can come of it. The right thing to do would have been to stay well clear of the mob in the first place (and then call the cops).

I'm guessing you missed it when the drivers door was opened by a biker?:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Nataly

First, the camera is too far away to see what happened at the initial stop. The slashed tire was on the side opposite the camera.

Second, read my account earlier in this thread. I and the cars around me were *overtaken* by a gang of assholes-on-bikes. How would you propose staying clear in a situation like that?

ryoder

***I'm not saying it's the fault of the guy in the SUV, but that we don't see how it escalated. I have my doubts about the SUV driver behaving 100% "correctly" in the situation before the video starts. Even if he did, and all he did was yell at the bikers that he called the cops, this is NOT a clever idea when they massively outnumber/surround you... [:/]

First, the camera is too far away to see what happened at the initial stop. The slashed tire was on the side opposite the camera.

Second, read my account earlier in this thread. I and the cars around me were *overtaken* by a gang of assholes-on-bikes. How would you propose staying clear in a situation like that?

It is the rich guys fault for having a range rover, and the money to afford one.

If he couldn't afford to drive a vehicle, he wouldn't have been there, therefore it is his fault.

I'm interested in knowing what happened before the camera got turned on. Did the SUV driver cut the biker off? It happens all the time. I don't know too many bikers who go out looking for a fight. Most of the road rage I've observed or heard about has been when someone in a cage cuts a biker off. It also looks like the SUV driver either sped up or at the very least didn't apply his brakes when the motorcyclist slowed down in front of him. I think there's more to this story than has come out so far.