Skyrad

The 'Special relationship' between the UK and the USA

In 1946 Churchill coned the phrase 'The special relationship' between the UK and the USA. This was strengthened further by the Cold war and the personal relationship between Ronald Regan and Margaret Thatcher in the 80s, along with the strategic relationship between the two nations at the time. But is the special relationship now dead? Did it ever really exist? With the recent refusal to follow Obama's America to war yet again and the subsequent snub has the time come to face the truth that the special relationship is over?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I don't think it's dead. I really don't think it will ever die. The US and UK have been very close for a very long time. Well before Churchill.

And there have been disagreements and disputes before. The Falklands comes to mind.

There will never be complete and total agreement on everything. But there will always be an understanding that we have too much in common to abandon one another.
The UK is nowhere near what it was at the height of the British Empire (duh). But it still has a lot of power and influence, politically, economically and militarily.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I would think the recent revelations regarding the Five Eyes, NSA and GCHQ, the Stratfor files, and the cooperation with ousting Libyan leader Ghaddafi (for starters) says it is certainly alive and strong.

David Cameron will face the same crimes against humanity as the acting administration in America... One day..

I believe the special relationship should continue with both the UK and Israel. However, with BHO and his administration all foreign policy relationships are in jeopardy.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Let's look at from a different perspective... Yours is a country of ~64 million. Approximately 0.9% of the world population.

For the period 1 January 2006 to 31 March 2013 centrally available records show that just in Afghanistan:

444 fatalities of British Forces personnel including MoD civilians.
2,116 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals and categorised as Wounded in Action, including as a result of hostile action.
4,529 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals for disease or non-battle injuries.
293 UK personnel were categorised as Very Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
298 UK personnel were categorised as Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
6,663 UK personnel were aeromedically evacuated from Afghanistan on medical grounds, for whatever reason.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Forces_casualties_in_Afghanistan_since_2001

Perhaps it not so much about our "Special Relationship" as much as it is about needing to be selective and/or hitting the pause button for a bit. Thanks for your help over the past ten years. I know the UK is probably about as weary of this one as we are...
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

RonD1120

I believe the special relationship should continue with both the UK and Israel. However, with BHO and his administration all foreign policy relationships are in jeopardy.

This. the special relationship with canada is also on the rails. The question is will it outlast the Obama administration?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Who cares about the UK anymore? And their antics, their royals, their tea time, and, and, and...
I just wish they would drop out of the European Union rather sooner than later.

The US can have them...

P.S.: Heck, even Scotland wants out!!! And we welcome the Scots in the EU any time. Minus the English!!!!

You fill it in!! I just want them to be gone from my country!

The European Union.

They don't want to be part of it; let them go. I don't see anything that they have to offer/ or have offered to Europe.

Stumpy

***their antics, their royals, their tea time, and, and, and...

That is the best you can do? Come on you missed out on about 15 stereotypes there

DanG

This. the special relationship with canada is also on the rails. The question is will it outlast the Obama administration?

Whatever.

I guess the keystone pipeline doesn't mean anything to you, for one example...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

mpohl

You fill it in!! I just want them to be gone from my country!

The European Union.

They don't want to be part of it; let them go. I don't see anything that they have to offer/ or have offered to Europe.

******their antics, their royals, their tea time, and, and, and...

That is the best you can do? Come on you missed out on about 15 stereotypes there

Your 'country' the EU isn't a country but drunk posting is quite amusing, please carry on. :D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

A special relationship doesn't mean the parties agree on every little thing. Canada's special relationship with the US will never go away unless our geography changes significantly, which is unlikely.

- Dan G

DanG

A special relationship doesn't mean the parties agree on every little thing. Canada's special relationship with the US will never go away unless our geography changes significantly, which is unlikely.

that's frankly not true. There was talk of bringing in a land border crossing fee a few months ago. If something like that comes in, there will be much less border crossing.
The Keystone pipeline, if it doesn't go ahead, will result in much more of canada's oil going to china and asian-pacific companies. If that and other products (lumber, etc) are not wanted in the US we will definately find other markets, and the relationship between canada and the us will definately suffer.

If that and other products (lumber, etc) are not wanted in the US we will definately find other markets, and the relationship between canada and the us will definately suffer.

Okay, so when are you going to start paying for your own security?

- Dan G

DanG

Okay, so when are you going to start paying for your own security?

Look, we get it already. You're the world's preeminent superpower, and we (Canada) just happen to be your neighbor.

However, to imply we should feel guilty or kiss ass simply because you think your armed forces "provide" our defense is akin to criticizing a badger for making use of the shade cast by an elephant.

It's that kind of pompous rhetoric that tends to seriously piss off the average Canuck.

Yes, you could militarily whip our butts in a heartbeat. For a short period of time. As many of your commanders have learned repeatedly since the 1950's, it might be one thing to take ground but it's a whole different game to keep it.

And while I'm in the mood, >:( I'm really weary of the oft-repeated disparaging remarks on these forums directed at the French. I find that arrogance absolutely juvenile.

You're a World Power. Try to approach it with a little dignity.

ETA: We do, however, feel guilty about Justin Beiber. Sorry about that.

aphid

***Okay, so when are you going to start paying for your own security?

Look, we get it already. You're the world's preeminent superpower, and we (Canada) just happen to be your neighbor.

However, to imply we should feel guilty or kiss ass simply because you think your armed forces "provide" our defense is akin to criticizing a badger for making use of the shade cast by an elephant.

It's that kind of pompous rhetoric that tends to seriously piss off the average Canuck.

Yes, you could militarily whip our butts in a heartbeat. For a short period of time. As many of your commanders have learned repeatedly since the 1950's, it might be one thing to take ground but it's a whole different game to keep it.

And while I'm in the mood, >:( I'm really weary of the oft-repeated disparaging remarks on these forums directed at the French. I find that arrogance absolutely juvenile.

Well said.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

aphid

***Okay, so when are you going to start paying for your own security?

Yea, well said... Stop picking on the Frogs everyone! :P
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

******Okay, so when are you going to start paying for your own security?

Yea, well said... Stop picking on the Frogs everyone! :P

Well they are developing a new Tank . . .

it has five reverse gears, and two that go forward . . . you know, just incase they get attacked from the rear.:):P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun