Channman

Jail Becomes Home for Husband Stuck with Lifetime Alimony

Alimony should basically only be awarded in extreme circumstances, as far as I'm concerned. So extreme in fact that I can't actually think of any.

Divorced and don't have a husband to live off of anymore?

GET

A

FUCKING

JOB

COMMA

BITCH.

Just another reason the entire institution of marriage is joke with no punchline for men.

I will die without having been married, without having spawned, and without regrets.
cavete terrae.

This is why I will never ever ever ever get married without a well vetted prenuptial agreement.

I don't care if it is the woman of my dreams, and my asking her to sign one will cause me to lose her.

A relationship is between two loving people.

A marriage is a legal agreement between two business entities.

You are insane if you jump in to business deals without agreements and understanding between the parties, why would you jump in to a marriage without one.

Without a prenup the only one who wins is the lawyers. I just laugh and laugh when I hear stuff like "if we got a divorce we would settle things fairly". HAHAHAHA, sure wait for the bitterness and hurt to make hard decisions.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

JerryBaumchen

Hi normiss,

Like anything in today's society, just hire an attorney.

Andy9o8 and my son thank you for your advice.

:P

JerryBaumchen

When it comes to hiring an attorney for such matters, its best not to go cheap...you get what you pay for. Hopefully a good attorney can minimize the PAIN.

normiss

If only retaining one wasn't so damn painful in the first place, this might be possible.

It could always be worse.

Don

GeorgiaDon

***If only retaining one wasn't so damn painful in the first place, this might be possible.

Don

Well, when you hire an attorney in a dispute, don't you really hope he screws the other party?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In addition to a three-year suspension, the Board ordered the lawyer pay $5,000 restitution for violation of Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct

Lawyers have rules of professional conduct ?? Is that only in Michigan?
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I've heard of Fathers going to jail and charged with 1 count of Felony Charge for ea. child support payment made late, not that it wasn't paid, but paid late. I've got a friend that was charged with 13 counts and found guilty of 3. He is now a Convicted Felon in his state and can't even own fire arms, or ammo, or nothing, 5 yrs probation + a 10 yr deferred Texas State Jail Sentence. And when he gathered up the child support records and carried them to court, his lawyer was not allowed to enter them into evidence. (Sick Joke?)

Best-
Richard

JerryBaumchen

Hi Don,

http://www.legalnews.com/detroit/698946

I do not see any problem; it's probably just the barter system.

JerryBaumchen

PS) It is my understanding that this happens far more than any of us realize. Andy9o8 or lawrocket, either of you two out there???????? :)

That example is a pretty egregious breach of client trust. 3 years off is relatively light; there are many states in which he'd have been disbarred outright.

In Florida, ANY and ALL payments submitted in ANY way other than through the state payment system is not recognized by the court.
It's as if you've never paid a dime.

Man have I seen guys get killed over this part!

18-26 years of child support and alimony.
Kids are old enough, payments end.
Divorced/separated parents get pissed.
"He never paid me a dime" claim made with free and massive sate legal resources behind the claim.
Payments based on income over and non payment over the past 18-26 years.

Ouch.

In Florida, ANY and ALL payments submitted in ANY way other than through the state payment system is not recognized by the court.

Same here in Texas. Only you send the CS Payment to the County Clerk's Office, not to the ATTY. Genl's Office as used to be. That's what causes Late CS payments. Because they don't call you on the phone, or send you a letter telling you any changes that were made, Original Orders get changed without any notice from any Family Court. Even though divorce has Judge's Orders in it, and if you want to change anything in the Original Divorcee Decree, it's to the "Motion To Modify" hearings you go. A half-way Lawyer can fill the "Paper Bin" on you so quick, well Quick! When I was Handling my son's divorce, it took me 2 yrs, over 10K, and 30 trips to a Court Room I didn't care to be in. He went to the Army, and left me with POA, didn't cost her a dime, the used to be Co. ATTY handled her case and continued it to death, she didn't have any money, least not any to pay for no Lawyer.

Best-
Richard

Warning -- woman in the room :P

Your statement about not marrying even though you'd like to because of the risk makes me sad. Life is a crapshoot. Some marriages work, some don't. Some partnerships work, some don't. And sometimes even when they don't work, the parties can still work it out maturely.

In my case, my first husband and I had a reasonably cordial divorce. Our son decided to live with his father (and he needed the male influence), so I was the one paying child support. We never went through the courts with payment; we just talked about it. We were lucky enough to both have sufficient income without child support -- that made a big difference.

Two of most important things I got out of our divorce were my self-respect, in part by not going for "everything I could have" (according to the lawyer), and the respect and love of our son (who was encouraged to love and respect both of his parents). My ex-husband and I still touch base regularly, even though our son will be 30 soon (:o)

Some people are toxic assholes, you can't deal with them. But most aren't, and most divorces don't end up toxic messes. I would, however, run from anyone who describes themself as "high maintenance"

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Nice voice of reason there!

I wish my ex and I could work together like that.
I see Andrea and her ex do a nice job of coming together to raise their kids. My bat shit psycho ex could never get anywhere close to working on anything.
Thankfully everyone knows this.
Sadly, our kids know this too.

Iago

This type of stuff is why I will not get married and have kids. As much as I would like to, I just won't.

Curious that you would risk dying, or even worse catastrophic injury that leaves you dependent on others to feed you and wipe your butt, for the sake of a sport, but you won't risk committing to a relationship of having kids, things you say you'd like to do, for fear of a possibility of financial burden.

Don

GeorgiaDon

***If only retaining one wasn't so damn painful in the first place, this might be possible.

Don

Your article brings to mine the term, "Alienation of Affection". I wonder why the husband didn't bring civil action against the attorney. Maybe it wouldn't apply in this case, or maybe it was not allowed in this particular state.

I guess I should be glad I'm only out $25K on my divorce. But I did get the dog and the rig......:P

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Just wait until you're over 35, then you'll be invisible to women. Problem solved. :P

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Channman

******If only retaining one wasn't so damn painful in the first place, this might be possible.

Don

Your article brings to mine the term, "Alienation of Affection". I wonder why the husband didn't bring civil action against the attorney. Maybe it wouldn't apply in this case, or maybe it was not allowed in this particular state.

Only allowed in Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, and Utah. Abolished in all other states, either via statute or caselaw.