promise5

Need an argument settled.

A friend and I were debating on if its ok for a cop to text them while they are on duty about the calls they respond to. They don't give details just that they had a theft or an assault. I said its wrong and it doesn't matter if they give details are not. My friend said its the same as listening to a police scanner at home.
So which is it?
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

The calls officers respond to are public record. In the town I used to live in, reporters would go down the the PD and SO office each morning and get the print out for all incident dispatch sheets and all preliminary report covers.

As long as he isn't sharing info he shouldn't, I don't have a problem with it. (as long as its his private phone, not one provided by his employer)

There are arguments to be made about officer safety, about better things he could be doing with his time, and about him opening himself up to liability, but those are individual choices. I wouldn't condemn his behavior without more information.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

The calls officers respond to are public record. In the town I used to live in, reporters would go down the the PD and SO office each morning and get the print out for all incident dispatch sheets and all preliminary report covers.

As long as he isn't sharing info he shouldn't, I don't have a problem with it. (as long as its his private phone, not one provided by his employer)

There are arguments to be made about officer safety, about better things he could be doing with his time, and about him opening himself up to liability, but those are individual choices. I wouldn't condemn his behavior without more information.

I agree with this.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Kennedy

Shouldn't he be more attentive to his job.

He shouldn't be texting anyone on his personal cell phone unless he is off duty.

My tax dollars do not need to be paying him to text someone while on duty.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Do you hold all employees to this same standard? Haven't you ever texted someone while you're at work? That being said, I see your point, that's why I listed the three concerns I did.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

Do you hold all employees to this same standard? Haven't you ever texted someone while you're at work? That being said, I see your point, that's why I listed the three concerns I did.

I am guilty myself, extremely guilty.

My job description doesn't require me to travel around armed with lethal and non lethal weapons, or, with the (at least perceived) duty to "protect and serve".

I know it is going to happen.

I'm just wondering just how much outrage there is going to be when a LEO is at fault in a Texting and Driving incident.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Before we can truly answer this question we also need to know if the people your friend was responding to were black or white. And if they were black, what were they doing?

As long as it was black on white violence, and the results were "it's OK," then I guess it can be reported...
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

you came HERE to get an argument settled? Really?

It's not the same as listening to a scanner. The scanner probably gives more information. The FCC has a publicly accessible database of assigned frequencies including emergency services. You can search based on name, or based on the geographic location. There are also many websites with those frequencies aggregated for ease of display. For the price of a new unlocked unsubsidized smartphone, I can buy a scanner with digital trunking capabilities and listen to everything the police/fire/ems hear and say.
--
Rob

We also had a difference of opinion over wether a cop should be texting out even basic things like: just had a robbery call or I had a sexual assault call. To me someone from the press going down and getting that print out is very different then an officer texting it to a friend. I'll be honest if I was someone that was a victim of a crime and I knew one of the officers was texting a friend even with basic information I would be ticked. I mean dang ,when I call the police I should be able to trust them not run gossip in a sense. Yes,I understand its public record the next morning I just see it as different then a cop texting what they are doing during their shift. As far as why they're texting they claim to be bored and it passes the time. Seriously?? I have a brother in law that is a trooper and he doesn't talk about it. Other then once that I remember when I saw him the next day and his face was scrapped up he said" oh I just made a new friend that made a friend with the sidewalk" that was it.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

A friend and I were debating on if its ok for a cop to text them while they are on duty about the calls they respond to. They don't give details just that they had a theft or an assault. I said its wrong and it doesn't matter if they give details are not. My friend said its the same as listening to a police scanner at home.
So which is it?

Please say he was not texting while driveing.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I had a whole detailed, well thought out post, but it reading the thread before posting, I realized it would be a long-winded version of rhaig's post #9. When you call 911 for LEO response, what you say goes into the 911 incident sheet. That's available to the public as soon as emergency services clear the scene and closes the call. The responders are dispatched by radio, and that is open to anyone with a receiver. The cop isn't giving out any information that anyone who wants it doesn't already have.

If she starts giving commentary or details, that's another story.
witty subliminal message
1*

Skyrad

'Need an argument settled'... In SC? That'll be a first.

No it won't. :P

It would if the argument were to eventually be settled, but that is not going to happen.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't know what everyone is talking about. Every argument inSC is settled as far as I'm concerned. Basically I know I'm right and if you don't agree your wrong you just don't know your wrong and I'm confident enough on how right I am that I'll let you go on believing that your right. It's really that simple. :P

Believe me I tried.

Virtually, every cop I have seen,in the last couple of years, has been talking, texting, and tapping on the laptop in their vehicle, while running radar. They probably are talking to dispatch at the same time, for all I know. :S

I guess they must be some sort of super-humans, who are able to multi-task better than the unwashed masses that the laws apply to, and who will be pulled over and ticketed.

Loooooove a double standard. >:(

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I've for one for you. A friend of mine acquired part of the SOPs for a local sheriffs office.

In the traffic stops section of "civilian contacts", they had two interesting rules. (I mention civilian contact because it disgusts me, LEOs are civilians) Anyway, rule 1: no vehicle may be stopped until a deputy runs the tag through their in car laptop (called MCT and MDT interchangeably). Reason: officer safety, so you know if it's stolen or wanted or whatever.
Rule 2: no deputy will type on the MCT while driving. Reason: officer safety by reducing likelihood of wrecks. Apparently after being chastised for too much radio traffic for having a stationary coworker run tags prior to stop, an entire shift made zero traffic stops for a week. They were written up for inactivity.

While I agree with you that officers should follow all traffic laws they enforce unless running lights and sirens or having a very good incident specific reason, sometimes they just can't win. Blame jack wagon asshat brass writing idiotic rules.
witty subliminal message
1*

Hi Lisa,

Loooooove a double standard

If it is really work and on a company cell phone, I'm OK.

If it a personal cell phone and they're asking their girl friend if she has her panties on at the moment; nope, not going to allow that.

They need to end the 'them against us' reputation that they have.

JerryBaumchen

promise5

Lol why did everyone assume it was a guy to a girl? It actually is a girl cop to a guy friend.

Well, was she wearing panties, or not?>:(

turtlespeed

***Lol why did everyone assume it was a guy to a girl? It actually is a girl cop to a guy friend.

I sooooo don't want to know the answer.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

******Lol why did everyone assume it was a guy to a girl? It actually is a girl cop to a guy friend.

I sooooo don't want to know the answer.

Comic Relief . . . that is all.:D

promise5

Lol why did everyone assume it was a guy to a girl? It actually is a girl cop to a guy friend.

So she brings her own handcuffs on the date?;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.