skydiver604

Facebook and Posts / Pictures Depicting Violence Against Women

This in the news today.

After years of Facebook turning a blind eye to posts that include speech or images that encourage and make light of violence against women, a viral campaign has emerged demanding changes in Facebook moderator policies and procedures.

Feminist activist group Women Action Media have collected numerous examples of highly graphic and disturbing images depicted violence against women posted on Facebook, many of which the group claims Facebook has refused to remove.

A WAM spokesperson noted, "many of these images passed Facebook moderation — that is, they were reported as violating Facebook standards, and Facebook declined to take them down. Some of them came down later when media stories highlighted specific pages. Some of them are still live on Facebook."

Last Tuesday a letter - written by Jaclyn Friedman, executive director of WAM (Women, Action, & the Media), Laura Bates, founder of the Everyday Sexism Project, and Soraya Chemaly, a feminist writer and activist - was posted on WAM's website, demanding Facebook take immediate action on “pages and images that explicitly condone or encourage rape or domestic violence or suggest that they are something to laugh or boast about.”

The campaign has sparked the Twitter hashtag #FBRape and a Change.org petition demanding that Facebook remove pages that promote sexual violence has attracted more than 200,000 signatures.

As of Friday afternoon, seven companies -- including the Nissan UK unit of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and the privately held WestHost -- have pulled their advertising from Facebook, and others, including the Zipcar unit of Avis Budget Group Inc., are investigating the matter.

Activists have also noted that images of educationally important images of women breastfeeding are often removed from Facebook for allegedly violating Facebook’s nudity guidelines, while photos of battered women and girls remain online due to Facebook's refusal to respond.

Facebook has responded to the campaign:

""As you may expect in any diverse community of more than a billion people, we occasionally see people post distasteful or disturbing content, or make crude attempts at humor. While it may be vulgar and offensive, distasteful content on its own does not violate our policies."

Members of the #FBRape campaign have responded by stating "there's nothing funny about violence against women."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/27/activists-demand-facebook-remove-posts-depicting-violence-against-women

Warning

The link below is the WAM website that contains examples of Facebook postings showing violent acts against women

http://www.womenactionmedia.org/examples-of-gender-based-hate-speech-on-facebook/

Disgusting!!!

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

oldwomanc6

******This in the news today.
Disgusting!!!

Agreed; of all the things people bitch about, this is pretty retarded.

Objecting to violence against women is "retarded?" [:/]

I "think" (hope) what joey meant was that of all the bitchin people do about other things in life... this is bad [retarded]
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

What's disgusting is the people that find these pics and then think they are so funny/clever that they then put a caption to them.
That's disgusting!!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Arvoitus

I'm guessing violence against men is still a-okay?

Where was that suggested?

Why are women still a better class that need protection?

Where was that suggested?

Aren't we all supposed to be 'equal'?

Supposed to be, sure. Many of the examples of the objectionable content would suggest we've got a ways to go. Maybe better to focus on what can be done to achieve that?
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

promise5

What's disgusting is the people that find these pics and then think they are so funny/clever that they then put a caption to them.
That's disgusting!!

Are you brand new to the internets? People do things like that for lulz and shock value, but it's not meant to be taken seriously. I post outrageous things on various corners of the internets all the time that don't reflect my true inner feelings.

If you're going to browse the parts of the web that rely on user-generated content, you better grow a thick skin and accept the fact that you don't have a right to not be offended. If you are offended, then I have some great news for you - nobody is forcing you to view the content you disagree with, and you can freely click the red X in the corner of your browser or navigate to a different URL!
Skydiving is serious business

-Joey-

***What's disgusting is the people that find these pics and then think they are so funny/clever that they then put a caption to them.
That's disgusting!!

Are you brand new to the internets? People do things like that for lulz and shock value, but it's not meant to be taken seriously. I post outrageous things on various corners of the internets all the time that don't reflect my true inner feelings.

If you're going to browse the parts of the web that rely on user-generated content, you better grow a thick skin and accept the fact that you don't have a right to not be offended. If you are offended, then I have some great news for you - nobody is forcing you to view the content you disagree with, and you can freely click the red X in the corner of your browser or navigate to a different URL!

If you think the stuff on that page is "just for lulz", its pretty obvious what kind of person you are.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did in fact chuckle at a couple of the examples on the page, for 2 main reasons - (a) I have quite a twisted sense of humour, very little is off limits to me provided that (b) there's some kind of actual humour involved. The "Chris Browns Greatest Hits" pic, for example, involves some moderately clever wordplay. Also, for me anyway, it's not a swipe at Rhianna but rather a nice little spotlight on what a misogynistic douche Brown is. Pretty much all of the other pieces in there were lazy, unprovoked rage. That's not lulz worthy, that's pathetic.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

My first thought on this was to be annoyed that the complaint wasn't gender neutral. Advocating violence is not a funny subject. However, after viewing the material, I can see that some people think targeting those who are weaker (females, in this case) is a source of amusement. Some people need to have their eyes beat closed.

I saw absolutely no humor in any of the pictures. I might have seen a slight bit in the Chris Brown piece, but I was already disgusted by the time I got to it.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Really???

About 5 years ago in Canada 1 in 5 women were subjected to some form of physical or sexual violence, source http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/sv-datasheet-a.pdf.. Give me some time and I'll post the sources. Not sure what it is in the US.

we all have a wife, girlfriend, sister, daughter or female friends. this affects all of us and you call it retarded??[:/]

Edited to include Canadian study, Unable to locate source for 1 in 2 so I've removed that statistic from my post.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

In 2004-05 I was employed as a crisis emergency response team counselor for a domestic violence program. At the same time I was working with a church pastor to establish a program for fathers. Both program concepts believed the path to breaking the cycle of violence is to teach nurturing concepts to the fathers.

Guess where the major opposition to our efforts originated? The women employed in the DV programs did not want men in their field. Many, if not most, were victims of DV and therefore saw punishment of men as the primary path to end DV.

After two years, we gave up and I went back to substance use disorder treatment programs.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

This isn't just Facebook. Ads in mainstream media regularly depict women as subjects of violence, or at best as passive participants in someone else taking action against them. It's a pretty pervasive societal meme.

Note that many of the ads do not explicitly show someone being hurt; they show a man holding a woman by the throat but not hurting her, or they show a woman being held down by several men but not objecting. But such ads engender the meme that woman are the accepted victim in violent situations, and can lead to the more explicit images shown in the Facebook posts.

As of Friday afternoon, seven companies -- including the Nissan UK unit of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and the privately held WestHost -- have pulled their advertising from Facebook, and others, including the Zipcar unit of Avis Budget Group Inc., are investigating the matter.

Glad to see they're pulling their advertising, its the only way FB will change, if its hit in the pocket. Saw the images sick and twisted, these images should not be entertainment in this century.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

promise5

That's disgusting!!

I agree, just so nasty.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Advocating violence is not a funny subject. However, after viewing the material, I can see that some people think targeting those who are weaker (females, in this case) is a source of amusement. Some people need to have their eyes beat closed.

Irony :D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

-Joey-

***What's disgusting is the people that find these pics and then think they are so funny/clever that they then put a caption to them.
That's disgusting!!

Would you feel the same if it was a picture of your mother,sister wife,daughter,girlfriend etc. that someone found their pic after they were either beat or raped and then thought it would be funny to put a caption to it like any of those that were shown? Or is it just funny because you don't know the person?
I wouldn't say I had thin skin, I'm just disgusted.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Really stupid stuff and full of hate. Not really even cleaver.

However I don’t believe I have the right to tell someone else not to write them or say it. If I see any man ever raise their hands on a woman then I will gladly step in; however words are words, and this is America.

You really should turn off your internet if you have that much of a thin skin by the way. There is shit out there much much worst and people do it to get you to react you cant be that easy.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

however words are words, and this is America.

Facebook is not America, nor do its users have freedom of speech on the site beyond that which FB grants. There's nothing wrong with users boycotting, petitioning, etc., in attempt to persuade FB to change their standards regarding what is and is not acceptable.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Skyrad

Glad to see they're pulling their advertising, its the only way FB will change, if its hit in the pocket.

This, I suspect, is why they were not taking down many of these pages to start with - every sick freak who subscribes to that page (and there'll be plenty of them) is an extra pair of eyes to throw ads at. As you say, when the loss of revenue from advertisers pulling out outweighs that, they'll flip.