BillyVance

Explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line area today

I can see you're going to write a book about this before the stroke of midnight.

No. You're wildly speculating here. There aren't enough facts out to the public to even know what you're attempting to say yet.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There is little hard information coming out on the investigation itself, or who might be responsible, but there ARE clues.

Two bombs exploded. At least two more were found. A third unexploded bomb is unconfirmed. What does this tell you?

Answer: The attack was done by a group of people and was not the work of one or two people only. In order to create and place four bombs like that, you need an organized group to pull it off without being detected.

The bombs were placed at strategic locations near the end of the Boston Marathon route. What does this tell you?

Answer: That the perpetrators were LIVING in the Boston area at the time the attack was planned, and the bombs placed. In other words, it wasn't done by a group of foreigners who flew into the United States shortly beforehand. If any of the perpetrators turn out to be foreign, they certainly had help from other accomplices who were living in the Boston area already.

The bombs were IED's with shrapnel added, and contained no plastic explosives. What does this tell you?

Answer: That their construction may have been done by people familiar with IED's. Dynamite, TNT, and plastic explosives are restricted, but commonly available in the United States if you have the right paperwork. The bombs were similar to those used in bombings in Arab countries, especially at public markets, etc. At least a portion of the group involved were probably NOT originally from the United States, or were assisted by foreigners familiar in the construction and use of IED's.

Reports indicate that at least two bombs were found unexploded, and that cell service was shut down shortly after the initial explosions. What does this tell you?

Answer: That the detonation devices may have been triggered by cell phone, a common practice in foreign-based IED attacks. And that the shutting down of cell service may have saved lives.

The main target were civilians on the sidelines, and runners in the race, not a specific building or other specialized target. What does this tell you?

Answer: That the explosions were strictly a terror attack on the population of Boston, on civilians, and was not about a grudge against a government agency, a specific group, or a business. This may also rule out domestic terrorism, which often targets something more specific besides ordinary people. (See: Murrah Building, OKC, 1995)

Consider the above to be educated guesses based on the limited facts being released.

Interesting, thanks for posting.

On the whole I think at this time we should be thinking about the victims, rather than second guessing law enforcement which, I am quite sure, is doing as much as possible to figure out what happened and to prevent further attacks..

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know this is a very small matter compared to the bigger picture of what happened, but wasn't anyone else saddened at how many could be seen rushing to get a pic instead of helping. I understand journalist have jobs to do, but crud is getting a picture THAT important. If you can't do anything you can at the very least hold someones hand.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I know this is a very small matter compared to the bigger picture of what happened, but wasn't anyone else saddened at how many could be seen rushing to get a pic instead of helping. I understand journalist have jobs to do, but crud is getting a picture THAT important. If you can't do anything you can at the very least hold someones hand.

The professional camera operators who kept taking pictures and video were doing their jobs and one that after analysis might be useful in capturing the criminal(s) responsible.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

They do have a job to do. Sometimes their videos and photographs can provide clues that people didn't notice with their own eyes.

There are exceptions though... There was the famous picture of a grandmother comforting her two grand kids right after the massive tornado plowed through the Birmingham area two years ago and destroyed their home. Photographer asked if they were okay, then realized he had a job to do. And the pic was seen by hundreds of millions around the world.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

8 year old boy confirmed as 1 of the 2 dead.

As a parent this just breaks my heart.

Ditto.

Also, the VIP bleachers at the finished line contained families of the victims of the Newton shooting. I can only imagine how this affected them.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Child's father gave permission to photographer....

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww316/kudzu630/photo-6.jpg:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Latest: "@mediccat tweeted that the kid was thrown 6ft and suffered cuts to her head an body but was otherwise OK. Underwent a CAT scan but that's all she knows. From her tone she seemed to suggest the kid was going to fine after healing"

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I wonder how next Sunday will be at the London Marathon.

or tomorrow at Thatcher's funeral...

The security at the funeral will be very high anyway as she was as hated as she was admired. hat said its pretty difficult to stop a suicide bomber in any large event with massive crowds.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Interesting that the secondary detonated so quickly after the first.

No it's not...it's in the terrorist handbook.

One goes off and as emergency personnel head in to rescue the other(s) go.

'Or' the 1st one also can tend to funnel panicked people toward the secondary ones.

The devil is in the detail old chap, the distance between the devices and a less than ten second gap was not enough to make that an effective play. Its an amateurish mistake. (Thankfully).
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I wonder how next Sunday will be at the London Marathon.

or tomorrow at Thatcher's funeral...

When I first heard about the bombings I thought, "Boston after Thatcher's death. Hmmm."

Meaning? Do you think it was Loyalists?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

There is little hard information coming out on the investigation itself, or who might be responsible, but there ARE clues.

Two bombs exploded. At least two more were found. A third unexploded bomb is unconfirmed. What does this tell you?
Answer: The attack was done by a group of people and was not the work of one or two people only. In order to create and place four bombs like that, you need an organized group to pull it off without being detected.

At this point its not clear what the picture really is through the general media, every bag that was dropped was being treated as a suspect IED.

The bombs were placed at strategic locations near the end of the Boston Marathon route. What does this tell you?

Answer: That the perpetrators were LIVING in the Boston area at the time the attack was planned, and the bombs placed. In other words, it wasn't done by a group of foreigners who flew into the United States shortly beforehand. If any of the perpetrators turn out to be foreign, they certainly had help from other accomplices who were living in the Boston area already.

This tells you that the criminals wanted maximum media coverage, that is all. They/he/she could have come from anywhere the route is one of the best known routes in running and a couple of seconds on the internet and google earth would show the best places to target.

The bombs were IED's with shrapnel added, and contained no plastic explosives. What does this tell you?

Answer: That their construction may have been done by people familiar with IED's. Dynamite, TNT, and plastic explosives are restricted, but commonly available in the United States if you have the right paperwork. The bombs were similar to those used in bombings in Arab countries, especially at public markets, etc. At least a portion of the group involved were probably NOT originally from the United States, or were assisted by foreigners familiar in the construction and use of IED's.

A fifteen year old kid on the internet can find how to make a IED using common chemicals found around your house. Even if they used hydrogen peroxide and chapatti flour like the London bombers it wouldn't tell you their ethnicity or origin as this is a simply to make explosive with easy to obtain materials. Explosive devices such as these have been used all over the world including Europe by a diversity of individuals and groups and the instructions on how to make them are easily obtainable for those who would go and look (I don't advise that you do).

Reports indicate that at least two bombs were found unexploded, and that cell service was shut down shortly after the initial explosions. What does this tell you?

Answer: That the detonation devices may have been triggered by cell phone, a common practice in foreign-based IED attacks. And that the shutting down of cell service may have saved lives.

Again I'd wait until there is solid evidence and a clear situation before putting to much weight on the number of devices. It also not unusual for IEDs to misfire or not detonate at all. The mobile networks may have been shut down as protocol or they may have collapsed before hand due to weight of usage. I don't think its likely to have made a difference seeing as there was only a ten second delay between the first two detonations. If it transpires that device number three is confirmed I suspect that it will be likely that it didn't detonate due to a fault either with the detonator or possibly decomposition of the explosive or some other mechanical/electrical fault. If a third device is found this will be a good start for the forensic investigation.

The main target were civilians on the sidelines, and runners in the race, not a specific building or other specialized target. What does this tell you?
Answer: That the explosions were strictly a terror attack on the population of Boston, on civilians, and was not about a grudge against a government agency, a specific group, or a business. This may also rule out domestic terrorism, which often targets something more specific besides ordinary people. (See: Murrah Building, OKC, 1995)

On this I'd tend to agree but I'd disagree that this was a terror attack on the population of Boston. It wasn't it was an attack on an international running event in much the same way that an attack on a Formula 1 event would be. I don't know how much you know about the Boston Marathon but it is a blue ribbon event in international running, there were over 400 runners from the UK and Ireland alone. If you look at the flags that were in shot you'll notice that they were not American flags but international flags. This event was most likely targeted for its high media profile internationally. Two of the runners who were caught in the explosion are South Africans this was a soft target with high international visibility. Its even possible that the fact it is run in America is incidental, (though unlikely).

Still on the upside, at least you didn't mention 'false flag operations' or Thermite :P
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Poor little baby, there are some sick fucks in this world alright. Reminds me of the two little boys blown to bits by the IRA in a shopping centre in Warrington. This should never have happened and I hope they get the terrorists that did it, but hopefully it will also open the eyes of those in Boston who paid for the explosives of the IRA.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Latest: "@mediccat tweeted that the kid was thrown 6ft and suffered cuts to her head an body but was otherwise OK. Underwent a CAT scan but that's all she knows. From her tone she seemed to suggest the kid was going to fine after healing"

If those are the facts then its to early to say if the child will be alright or not, blast injuries can destroy lungs in a couple of days which appear normal right after the event.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Next we will see and listen to the ass hats who want to understand why. And then blame the US as we have it coming

(and of course we have now had a CNN idiot say it may be a right wing group) Gotta get those political bunchs in first:S

News flash!

Good people will NEVER understand evil

This is an act of evil

Just like the school shooting

Good people will never understand it

Period

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

it is a sad day indeed. i hate to see kids injured anytime, much less like this.

that being said, it is clearly the work of someone experienced with this, or at least they practiced it beforehand. otherwise, we would have heard about an accident before the race when it was being assembled or planted. those things are easy to make and there are instructions on the internet, sure, but they are also dangerous and tend to explode when mishandled.

robert has put together a post that sounds like what the investigators would put together. it sounds like he has had experiences in this sort of thing, we would all do well to lend credence to the theories, i would be surprised if they were not all correct.

and this is exactly what happens in iraq, or most other mideastern nations. they just had a blast that killed 22 and injured 100. i am truly surprised that we haven't seen more of this, this nation as a group actl like it can't happen here. the real lesson we can take from this is to pay attention to what is going on around you.

prayers for all involved.
http://kitswv.com