BillyVance

Explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line area today

It used to happen a lot in the UK (meaning mainland Britain and Northern Ireland). Courtesy of the brave freedom fghters of the IRA - well funded from places like the US.

I never understood why anyone would want to contribute money to a group that engaged in such acts aganst innocent civilians.

Such acts occur periodically in Russia but the most recent perpetrators have been the widowed wives of fghters, typically from the Caucasus. With these the targets have included the metro system and schools, with significant loss of life.

Sadly, there are people who justify such acts to themselves.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

The 8-year-old boy who died was waiting to see his father cross the finish line. He was from Dorchester. There is video.

Crossing the finish line at Boston, with my kids waiting for me, has been a long time goal for me. I have a boy and a girl, at pretty much the exact same ages as these two. The girl lost a leg, the mother was in for brain sugery.

An absolutely senseless act, perpetrated on random every day people, people from all over the world.

I spent most of yesterday trying to get in touch with fellow runners who I knew where in Boston, who I knew had family members waiting for them. Some I don't have contact information for, so I hope to see them tonight, at one of our regular runs.

If anything, this has just strengthened my resolve to make it to the Boston marathon, to train hard enough to make the qualifying standard, and to have my children at the finish line.

If anything, this has just strengthened my resolve to make it to the Boston marathon, to train hard enough to make the qualifying standard, and to have my children at the finish line.

Good luck and I hope you make it! It is really a great marathon and well worth working toward.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

This is one thread that will NOT turn into the usual gun or political debates. No more warnings.

Well that makes for a refreshing change.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

the professional camera operators who kept taking pictures and video were doing their jobs and one that after analysis might be useful in capturing the criminal(s) responsible.

So let's say a professional camera operator is standing in front of someone whose leg is blown off and the victim is bleeding to death.

Should the professional camera operator:
1) Put down the camera and provide first aid to the victim to save their life, or;
2) Film the victim bleeding to death so that millions of people can see the stark face of terrorism.

So let's say a professional camera operator is standing in front of someone whose leg is blown off and the victim is bleeding to death.

Should the professional camera operator:
1) Put down the camera and provide first aid to the victim to save their life, or;
2) Film the victim bleeding to death so that millions of people can see the stark face of terrorism.

When there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of other people standing there, many of whom are medical professionals from the aid tents? He should stay out of the way and keep filming.

- Dan G

I have an eight-year-old son and a six-year-old daughter. It does make it more horrifying.

It sure does. And I remember the utter joy of having them on the sidelines as I ran one of my races. Being able to high five them as I ran by.

I cannot comprehend the utter devastation this poor father must be going through.

I don't, in any way, mean to make light of the other deaths or injured, but this scenario just is very close to "home".

Hi rush,

This is an act of evil

Good people will never understand it

I am not sure what you mean by 'understand it.'

I understand it ( I hope & think ) and I consider myself a good person; as I am sure you consider yourself.

I just hate it. These are completely innocent people.

And I agree with you here: "CNN idiot say it may be a right wing group"

We need/should wait until actual facts are known.

JerryBaumchen

They're just trying to fill in time. The talking head gotta talk. In fairness, they also said it could be a foreign terrorist with ties to AQ, but that the type of bomb was not typical for AQ trained groups. They also said that it could be a lone wolf with sympathies for any number of extremist views. Yes, including right wing views.

When I saw more details I immediately thought of the Atlanta Olympic bombings. Not because of the political views of Eric Rudolph, but because of the circumstances, tactics, and type of explosives. I doubt this attack was carried out by an organized foreign group. I think it was a lone wolf, but there's no way to know the motivation at this point.

- Dan G

Hi rush,

This is an act of evil

Good people will never understand it

I am not sure what you mean by 'understand it.'

I understand it ( I hope & think ) and I consider myself a good person; as I am sure you consider yourself.

I just hate it. These are completely innocent people.

JerryBaumchen

Agreed
We need to wait

As for the understand part

I put is this way to one of my boys when he was real young

There was a story on the news about a mother who had murdered her 3 children. He asked me how any mother could ever do that

Well, I told him, if he ever did understand how someone could do something so bad then, he might be able to do it himself someday

So, to your comment, I dont understand how someonw could plant a bomb like this and get something from it

i dont understand it
Dont think I ever could

Evil is not something we need to understand
We need to recognize and defeat it
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

i dont understand it
Dont think I ever could

A long time ago I had a girlfriend who was blown up by an IRA bomb. I spent a lot of time wondering both why people could commit such acts and why in particular educated people, especially in the US, willingly gave money to the so-called freedom fighters via NORAID so that this could continue. I used to wonder how the donors would react if their loved ones would face a similar situation.

Rightly or wrongly, I came to my own understanding that is was a combination of clever marketing by people who would willingly raise funds to kill women and children, coupled with some kind of romantic attachment to a country that was subject to harsh British control in times past. And the people planting the bombs probably felt they were doing the right thing for their cause.

I suspect that the people involved in this act of terrorism will have a similar basis for their views and actions.

Defeating these evil people??? That is what some might call a major challenge.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

i dont understand it
Dont think I ever could

like many people, you equate 'understanding' with agree/sympathize/advocate

that's incorrect - you can understand something that you'd never be able to commit. You can 'understand' just about anything

people that claim otherwise are actually just making the statement to express their disagreement, not their lack of understanding. Saying I 'can't' understand it is a complete non-starter. It's really a self indulgent, position. Liberals, "can't understand why people want to own guns" etc etc etc. They understand just fine, they are just expressing that the refuse to give an inch.

I'd rather they just say that there is 'no compromise' on their position. That's honest.

In the case of these bombing, it's not only honest, but it's a very reasonable position.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i dont understand it
Dont think I ever could

A long time ago I had a girlfriend who was blown up by an IRA bomb. I spent a lot of time wondering both why people could commit such acts and why in particular educated people, especially in the US, willingly gave money to the so-called freedom fighters via NORAID so that this could continue. I used to wonder how the donors would react if their loved ones would face a similar situation.

Rightly or wrongly, I came to my own understanding that is was a combination of clever marketing by people who would willingly raise funds to kill women and children, coupled with some kind of romantic attachment to a country that was subject to harsh British control in times past. And the people planting the bombs probably felt they were doing the right thing for their cause.

I suspect that the people involved in this act of terrorism will have a similar basis for their views and actions.

Defeating these evil people??? That is what some might call a major challenge.

I do not know about the funding issues

But evil will not go away

It will never get tired

It is a major challenge

A challenge we had better be prepared for

But first, it must be recognized for where and what it is

Ignoring it or trying to placate it, only makes it stronger

History proves this as fact
Abraham Lincoln

But first, it must be recognized for where and what it is

Ignoring it or trying to placate it, only makes it stronger
History proves this as fact

looks like you 'understand' it :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i dont understand it
Dont think I ever could

like many people, you equate 'understanding' with agree/sympathize/advocate

that's incorrect - you can understand something that you'd never be able to commit. You can 'understand' just about anything

people that claim otherwise are actually just making the statement to express their disagreement, not their lack of understanding. Saying I 'can't' understand it is a complete non-starter. It's really a self indulgent, position. Liberals, "can't understand why people want to own guns" etc etc etc

No I dont, and I dont agree

You can see if for what it is

But that is not understanding it

I am not thinking that understanding is agree, sympathize or advocate

I dont think the analogy fits
Owning guns is not an evil act
Using the gun to kill 20 kids is

Using a knife to remove someones head is
I can not understand how anyone could perform either act
Abraham Lincoln

then, simply speaking, you are not equipped to pass judgment on the issue even if you come to the same conclusions as those that are

I strongly believe this

(I also think your outrage is driving a purely semantical position - and, in reality, you ARE capable)

Edit: there is also a very strong implication in your position, then that ALL very successful psychologists, who make a point of understanding twisted behavior, but therefore be evil at heart. How do we rationalize that.

then, simply speaking, you are not equipped to pass judgment on the issue even if you come to the same conclusions as those that are

Who is talking about passing judgement?

That statement does not make sense

Not understanding an act does not make one incapable of recognizing an act of evil
Abraham Lincoln

Not understanding an act does not make one incapable of recognizing an act of evil

it's impossible to recognize anything without understanding it

it's impossible to recognize anything without understanding it

I do not agree

I think we might be talking past each other
Abraham Lincoln

I already stated as much. no problem. in short here:

"I don't understand it" is typically not a statement of understanding at all. Just opposition, outrage, or disbelief, or uncompromising opposition. It helps by dehumanizing the 'other'.

Interesting enough: I find religious people use it more than anyone else. (all types, traditional, global warming, etc etc etc), and older people set in their ways

On the right, it's really just a statement that notes violation of deeply ingrained beliefs
On the left, it's usually a disparaging statement about the other side, but based on the same

I already stated as much. no problem. in short here:

"I don't understand it" is typically not a statement of understanding at all. Just opposition, outrage, or disbelief, or uncompromising opposition. It helps by dehumanizing the 'other'.

Interesting enough: I find religious people use it more than anyone else. (all types, traditional, global warming, etc etc etc), and older people set in their ways

On the right, it's really just a statement that notes violation of deeply ingrained beliefs
On the left, it's usually a disparaging statement about the other side, but based on the same

But for us, the topic is those that are evil
Abraham Lincoln

But for us, the topic is those that are evil

evil is a subjective term based on deeply ingrained beliefs

until we know the person's rationalization, I don't know if the nutter is evil, crazy, motivated otherwise

at this point, I can only deeply reject his results and actions

(and I only really care about actions - whether or not I'm able to understand the rationale or not)