Iago

Food Stamp for Cash exchange in an 'emergency'- morality question?

So here's the situation:

You're approached in the local San Diego grocery store by a rather nicely dressed and nervous woman appearing woman. She hesitantly and apologetically inquires if you were buying you groceries with cash today. Upon inquiring why she wants to know she tells you the Mexican police shook her down and took all her money for a 'traffic ticket.' She's just trying to get back to X and only has her EBT/food stamp card left. Rather than beg for gas money she'd put some of your groceries on her EBT card if you'd reimburse her the cash so she can buy gas to get home to X.

Throwing in all the extra stuff about nervous, apologetic, can show you her ID that it's her card, blah blah

what do you think would be the appropriate course? Keep in mind you're not actually out anything. Yes, I know its probably illegal to do so and all that jazz.

Just curious as I enjoy hearing other people's opinions.

It could be a sting, most likely not. I would be suspicious on why, at the least she could not have a relative wire her $20. If she seemed sincere, I may perhaps, on a good day put 2-3 gallons directly into her tank.

I'd put gas in her car, or buy her a Megabus ticket, before doing that.

Of course, I also keep packets of tuna fish in my car for beggars by the side of the road -- I never give cash, but always have some food on hand.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm not sure what your question is. But I will say this: her story is almost certainly untrue, and nothing you can observe about her will tip you off. (Good scammers are good at it because they are good at convincing you that what they say is true.)

I'd put gas in her car, or buy her a Megabus ticket, before doing that.

Of course, I also keep packets of tuna fish in my car for beggars by the side of the road -- I never give cash, but always have some food on hand.

Wendy P.

Beggar saying goodbye to Wendy: "So long, and thanks for all the fish!":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Honestly? I have no fucking clue what food stamps or EBT card look like or how they actually get used in a store. Considering that, I'd be leery enough of getting ripped off by a counterfeit or invalid instruments to just say no without giving it another thought.

Morality question? Hell no. Self-preservation question first.

Okay, now assuming I knew how any of that stuff worked . . . then still no, because I have no idea whatsoever how this person came to possess such items and I'm sure as hell not going to encourage knocking over little old ladies or stealing from mailboxes.

So again, morality question? Hell no. Accessory to a crime question.

Next, assuming she came by them legally and really is in distress I'd assess the situation and try to determine if she really is pulling welfare fraud or just some innocent victim trying to get back home. I find it highly unlikely she's not pulling welfare fraud of some type so again, I'd probably refuse. I've seen far too many of these scams.

However, there are, in fact, sometimes people who really do just need a way to get back home and aren't out to scam the world. In a case like that, if I thought it was safe to do so, I might offer to give the person a ride home.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

cat food stores longer and in a wider range of temperature

edit: actually, it's a trick question

1 - 'woman appearing woman' there's your first clue
2 - the Mexican police are operating in San Diego - I'd say the first action is call the San Diego police so she can tell her story to them
3 - I'd have to run a background check first before allowing her to operate a food card
4 - no one answered my first question - I can't work under these conditions

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

- no one answered my first question

It's southern California! They're fake anyway.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Apparently I've made one of the most amusing typos in quite awhile. We're getting a lot of mileage out of this one.

;)

apparently you haven't read a lot of rushmc's stuff when written late in the evening.:D

but it's a nice one, nonetheless

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As Bill said in another thread -- it's a slow day :ph34r:

Wendy P.

Wendy P.

You are a saint. :) Never occurred to me to keep something in the car for the guys with the cardboard signs.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I grew up where there were door-to-door beggars; some were regulars. We moved away when I was 11, and went to visit the old neighborhood for a couple of days when I was 15.

My father (the old softy) said that he recognized one of the regular beggars; a guy who'd lost several mothers, wives, and children over the years. His comment? "Where have you been!" :D

Wendy P.

Wendy P.

You are a saint.

Think so? She leaves out the part where she doesn't give them a can opener.

a guy who'd lost several mothers,

I was sympathetic until this point.

How many mothers did he have stashed away then?

Apparently I've made one of the most amusing typos in quite awhile. We're getting a lot of mileage out of this one.

;)

apparently you haven't read a lot of rushmc's stuff when written late in the evening.:D

not as good as the ones gravitymaster makes while driving.

and funjumper is funnier than jim carey and robin williams combined

so we got that going for us

- no one answered my first question

It's southern California! They're fake anyway.

Wendy P.

If I can hold them in my hands there's nothing fake about it. :-) I'll accept "augmented".
:ph34r:
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So here's the situation:

You're approached in the local San Diego grocery store by a rather nicely dressed and nervous woman appearing woman. She hesitantly and apologetically inquires if you were buying you groceries with cash today. Upon inquiring why she wants to know she tells you the Mexican police shook her down and took all her money for a 'traffic ticket.' She's just trying to get back to X and only has her EBT/food stamp card left. Rather than beg for gas money she'd put some of your groceries on her EBT card if you'd reimburse her the cash so she can buy gas to get home to X.

Throwing in all the extra stuff about nervous, apologetic, can show you her ID that it's her card, blah blah

what do you think would be the appropriate course? Keep in mind you're not actually out anything. Yes, I know its probably illegal to do so and all that jazz.

Just curious as I enjoy hearing other people's opinions.

this is a pretty typical situation where i live.

i get it at the grocery store, home depot, and walmart pretty regular.

sketchy as fuck, i always laugh and keep walking.