ryoder

Multiple injuries reported in stabbing at Houston college

That's hilarious right there.
I anxiously await seeing this happen.

I'll even go one better - "Mark my words, passage of a universal background check will have limited impact on criminal use of weapons and will have zero impact on loonies snapping and committing mass killings."

B|

Well, considering that Cho, Loughner and Holmes all went through the background check, and Lanza's mom did too, I find it hard to believe that any law requiring background checks on any private sales would have made any difference.

I understand some objections to registration - it creates a database for potential confiscation, and it potentially criminalizes law-abiding citizens.

But realize that your argument still uses flawed logic. You only cited the examples where it didn't work, which (obviously) made the news. There are many people denied gun purchases because the background checks were done and worked; those generally don't make the news. IOW, if I were a debate coach, I'd urge you to ditch this argument, because it's pretty vulnerable.

Yet again, Andy hits the nail on the head. The fact that some people find this hard to understand amazes me.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I see that no 'armed citizen' stopped it with a gun....

I see that armed citizens aren't allowed to carry in buildings on college campuses, even in Texas.

Then it would seem your complaint is with Texas government, which, everyone knows, is notoriously... liberal.

This is a clear case the gov't needs to ban shoes. He needed shoes to get to the place where he slashed people. They also need to ban Home Depot stores as in Home Depot are zillions of weapons, including washer hoses, chains, and garden leaf rakes, not excluding electric chain saws, and paint thinner. Why not penalize the whole of America to defend against a few nutjobs.

You will note that out of 14 people injured, nobody died. I doubt that would be true if a gun where involved.

I would say not yet, and hopefully nobody will. 2 of the victims were in critical condition. [:/]

As of this morning, everyone's still alive, thankfully.
It's not just some facts that speak for themselves, it's all of them. Nothing more; nothing less.

I see that no 'armed citizen' stopped it with a gun....

I see that armed citizens aren't allowed to carry in buildings on college campuses, even in Texas.

Then it would seem your complaint is with Texas government, which, everyone knows, is notoriously... liberal.

Hell, when I was in TX in the late '80's, I learned, (to my astonishment), there was no such thing as a CCW for private citizens. I know the law has changed since then.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

if these were a razor type of weapon - how does this get called a 'stabbing'

slicing, slashing, cutting - yes

stabbing?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

if these were a razor type of weapon - how does this get called a 'stabbing'

slicing, slashing, cutting - yes

stabbing?

Whuffo reporters :S. An experienced slasher or stabber would definitively have written that better.

I think we'd have less mass attacks if we just outlawed reporters....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You will note that out of 14 people injured, nobody died. I doubt that would be true if a gun where involved.

That's because the guy used the equivalent of a pellet gun in his rampage. Sure, you could kill someone, but it's not that easy. Had he brought an assault blade (say, a katana, machete, or ax), I guarantee that there would have been a body count.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

>This is a clear case the gov't needs to ban shoes.

And he probably ate with a spoon. BAN SPOONS!

>Why not penalize the whole of America to defend against a few nutjobs.

Or just pass laws that penalize nutjobs. Unfortunately there are always those who will defend the rights of nutjobs just because their political leaders tell them to.

We need to enact laws penalizing the majority for the failings of a very small minority. Senate and Congressional Democrats.

Chop sticks can be killers. Ban all food preparation and eating implements.

You need to procure a license to buy lighter fluid, or gas for that matter.

Let talk about the mouth wash and dental floss. Can be deadly.

Let talk about the mouth wash and dental floss. Can be deadly.

this actually sounds pretty good compared to the alternative

and more effective than current efforts mislabeled "gun control"

That's because the guy used the equivalent of a pellet gun in his rampage. Sure, you could kill someone, but it's not that easy. Had he brought an assault blade (say, a katana, machete, or ax), I guarantee that there would have been a body count.

You can kill a person with a xacto knife if you cut in the right place, like the jugular in the neck, for example. But, it's harder to do so when they're running from you or fighting you off.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So a couple students tackled the guy before the cops got there.

I wonder if they'll be arrested, too. They didn't pee themselves, or even fire a warning shot. Certainly their liberal arts teachers will give them bad grades for not being sheep.

(just trying to load up on cliches here)

Edit: at a minimum, I hope the college offers them counseling for having to act violently. Poor kids. If only they watch more Star Trek: the Next Generation, they could have just smugly talked to the 'stabber' until the stabber killed himself from an overdose of self righteousness.....

You can kill a person with a xacto knife if you cut in the right place, like the jugular in the neck, for example. But, it's harder to do so when they're running from you or fighting you off.

I'm aware of that. You can also kill someone with a pellet gun. It's just not easy to do, especially if they are running or fighting you off.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

So a couple students tackled the guy before the cops got there..

Given that he had a blade only, they were able to overwhelm him in hand to hand combat. Had he had the force-multipliers of one or more firearms with plenty of ammo, and higher-capacity magazines, he might have been able to hold them off.

So a couple students tackled the guy before the cops got there..

Given that he had a blade only, they were able to overwhelm him in hand to hand combat. Had he had the force-multipliers of one or more firearms with plenty of ammo, and higher-capacity magazines, he might have been able to hold them off.

true, or, if he had had 6 round or less magazines in that hypothetical, surely they could have tackled him during the reload process of about 3 seconds too. Or even run a background check right then. provided they did the check in an environmentally safe fashion:P

actually, my point was that the kids that had the ability and the capability to 'choose' to confront this guy are exactly the type of people the left don't understand, refuse to acknowledge the existence of, and even fear a bit. And are trying to breed and train out. Your opinion will surely vary from this. (and rightly so, it's a pretty big generalization - but fun to play)

actually, my point was that the kids that had the ability and the capability to 'choose' to confront this guy are exactly the type of people the left don't understand, refuse to acknowledge the existence of, and even fear a bit. And are trying to breed and train out. Your opinion will surely vary from this. (and rightly so, it's a pretty big generalization - but fun to play)

yeh coming from you bill it's a total troll. ;)

it's a slow day -

but someone is likely to take that comment seriously and run with it

but it'll be balanced by someone else taking total offense and then apply the same troll to the other side in total seriousness and not realize they did exactly the same thing\

circle of life....circle of life

The Right is disappointed those people didn't die as martyrs to The Cause.

The Right: always Wrong.

and....

The Left: a LOT more freakin' Left than they want you to realize. no.....even farther.....no......more.