BIGUN

Distinguished Warfare Medal?!??!?!

Just fucking ridiculous... Some Congressman or Defense Contractor's kid feel slighted because he didn't get a Participation Medal?!?!?!?

The Pentagon is creating a new high-level military medal that will recognize drone pilots and, in a controversial twist, giving it added clout by placing it above some traditional combat valor medals in the military’s “order of precedence.”

The Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to pilots of unmanned aircraft, offensive cyber war experts or others who are directly involved in combat operations but who are not physically in theater and facing the physical risks that warfare historically entails.

The new medal will rank just below the Distinguished Flying Cross. It will have precedence over — and be worn on a uniform above — the Bronze Star with Valor device, a medal awarded to troops for specific heroic acts performed under fire in combat.

SOURCE: http://www.armytimes.com/news/2013/02/military-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/?goback=.gde_147555_member_214641956

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

+1 ^this^

They're being given a medal for operating what is effectively a computer game. Speaking as someone who's been on active service I find the whole idea of this medal insulting to everyone who's ever been on the receiving end of enemy fire.

As far as I'm concerned this medal ranks slightly lower than a Tom Mix decoder ring>:(

Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I'm still seeing red.

One doesn't even have to be in THEATER!!!

They can be in St. Louis at a computer screen and the ground pounders that are getting shot, shot at, CBRNE up close and personal can get the BS or SS with "V" and the guy in Stl Louis gets a higher fucking medal.

The whole world's just gone to shit since John Wayne died.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The other side of the coin.

I've seen way too many Bronze Star medals given out to people doing these jobs. The difference before was if you didn't rate the "V" device, obviously the award was given for something other than valor under fire. And since it was still a BS, it ranked exactly the same with or without the device. At least it's now a separate award. Now, whether it should be above or just below a Bronze Star is certainly another matter.

The true disservice is in the application of our higher awards. Until very recently, for the current conflicts, you had to die from your wounds to be considered for a MoH. It was really sad to read some of the citations for BS medals (read: arguably too high of an award for the action), and others for SS, Navy Cross, etc, that could easily have qualified for MoH in previous conflicts.

However, go back and read the criteria for the BS medal. It's pretty vague, and it doesn't seem that difficult to write a citation that qualifies per the letter, if not the spirit, of the criteria.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Just fucking ridiculous... Some Congressman or Defense Contractor's kid feel slighted because he didn't get a Participation Medal?!?!?!?

The Pentagon is creating a new high-level military medal that will recognize drone pilots and, in a controversial twist, giving it added clout by placing it above some traditional combat valor medals in the military’s “order of precedence.”

The Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to pilots of unmanned aircraft, offensive cyber war experts or others who are directly involved in combat operations but who are not physically in theater and facing the physical risks that warfare historically entails.

The new medal will rank just below the Distinguished Flying Cross. It will have precedence over — and be worn on a uniform above — the Bronze Star with Valor device, a medal awarded to troops for specific heroic acts performed under fire in combat.

SOURCE: http://www.armytimes.com/news/2013/02/military-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/?goback=.gde_147555_member_214641956

"For playing all night on a single quarter, reaching the level of 14 and a score of 2,406,500, we hereby award you the highest honor in the video game world. You should be proud."

Those guys crawling around in the mud with things going bang around them should be ashamed of themselves.

Yea, I bet those drone operators sit there and eat doritos and drink mountain dew while they do their jobs.
I'm still in a state of disbelief about this.

All those years playing World of Warcraft or Call of Duty can finally pay off, huh?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm still seeing red.

They can be in St. Louis at a computer screen and the ground pounders that are getting shot, shot at, CBRNE up close and personal can get the BS or SS with "V" and the guy in Stl Louis gets a higher fucking medal.

I hate to break it to you, but that sorry sonofabitch was a first class draft dodger.

These guys were the real deal.

I'm still seeing red.

I hate to break it to you, but that sorry sonofabitch was a first class draft dodger.

These guys were the real deal.

Thanks for posting that link. I knew a lot of those actors had served, but a few surprises too. Audie Murphy was one little bad ass motherfucker. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Now for the other side - warfighting is the key way of building a military resume, getting promoted, etc. So these officers get selected to fly drones. Okay. "Operate" drones.

Of course they perform a valuable function. Flying into and over enemy territory where and launching a precision strike to take out the apartment complex where he is. Sure, most of them would probably prefer to be flying in a hot zone. And it would be a shame if their careers suffered because they weren't given the opportunity to take out the enemy in person.

I can see how the lack of medals, etc., can cost people futures. Like operating a drone being the turn to career dead end.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

i worked as a pac nco and have heard of policies which determine medal by rank. if you were a staff sergeant or higher you got a bronze star. i was on rear det and got recommended for an msm but it got kicked back for some bullshit. i'm still not pissed about it nor would i want something anywhere near a bs. that reminds me of when they took the black beret and gave rangers shit brown ones to boost morale. or lowering standards for females to involve more of them in combat. i'm all about letting them go, just don't lower your standards for anything. it's called combat for a reason. pathetic.
http://kitswv.com