BigMikeH77

The looming sequester

In my little town the town manager told us we need to increase taxes by 5 mils to cover the bills or every thing was gonna close and the roads would not be fixed... At the town meeting we cut 180,000 dollars and didn't lay off one person or close anything... The roads got plowed... The street lights stayed on... The police were there if called...

There were about 50 people at that meeting... We made the front page of the state paper.... I think the head line was...
Town people cut and cut .. Balanced budget ;)

Jim...

Don't want to sound unsympathetic to your position, but welcome to the real world.

My uncle has spent his entire working life (30+ years) on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. He hasn't worked in a year because they can't get drilling permits, no matter what the Obama admin is saying.

Another friend of mine is in charge of Gulf operations for a major player, and they haven't received a single permit in over a year from the Obama administration.

Oil related revenues used to be a major money stream to the federal government. It's gone way down. Obama is lying his ass off right now.

Simply put, im plain english, the sequester is a senseless austerity measure. Austerity doesn't work.

No, what doesn't work is the government spending more than it brings in, and doing that for decades. Keynes advocated spending government reserves during down time, not printing money. Do you realize the Fed is buying 80% of government auctions now? The world has stopped buying our debt.

You still have a pension?

I do not in any way feel entitled to anything but time with my children...

Ok, now I've lost any and all sympathy for you. The first 8 years of my children's lives I worked 7 days a week, and I still bust my ass just to pay my bills.

You still have a pension??? Time to get connected with what's going on for the vast majority of private employees in America.

Again, welcome to the real world.

Wish you the best of luck.
We are all engines of karma

Obama uses scare tactics to try and reverse his own idea. ........... while blaming it all on the Republicans

Obama's Paycheck Exempt From 'Sequester'...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-s-paycheck-exempted-sequester

Big Sis Warning on 'Security'...

http://thehill.com/video/administration/284713-napolitano-cuts-will-make-us-more-vulnerable-to-terrorist-attack

Illegals 'could flood borders'...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/25/white-house-raises-terror-threat-warns-illegals-co/

and my favorite:S

Homeless will starve...

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/02/25/sequestration-would-starve-meals-on-wheels-in-minn/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

and let us not forget this one:S

Obama Threatens Cuts to Navy Fleet Over Sequestration

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Budget-Battle/2013/02/26/id/492022

Good. Our bloated military is not defense, it's offense, a giant swinging dick, if you will (apologies for the crudeness), that is orders upon orders upon orders of magnitude more than is necessary to keep our daughters safe in their beds. I don't know about you, but I'm more than a little sick of providing the security umbrella for the NATO countries so they can give their citizens national health care while laid-off workers in the US go uninsured. I'm sick of paying for Belgians' health care so that we can pretend we have "defense".

Good. Our bloated military is not defense, it's offense, a giant swinging dick, if you will (apologies for the crudeness), that is orders upon orders upon orders of magnitude more than is necessary to keep our daughters safe in their beds. I don't know about you, but I'm more than a little sick of providing the security umbrella for the NATO countries so they can give their citizens national health care while laid-off workers in the US go uninsured. I'm sick of paying for Belgians' health care so that we can pretend we have "defense".

Hmmm

When I first started reading your reply the hair on the back of my neck started to rise but

I went through it a couple more times and

well

You make some valid points

For you and I it would come down to what degree

But that might be a long long thread
Abraham Lincoln

If your family budget were $1000 and you had to cut $23 out of it, what would you eliminate? According to the President, you should stop buying medicine and food for your children and stop buying gas for the car. Sounds about right.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

If your family budget were $1000 and you had to cut $23 out of it, what would you eliminate? According to the President, you should stop buying medicine and food for your children and stop buying gas for the car. Sounds about right.

Actually
What we really are looking at is

You have a $1000 budget
You are about to get a $60 increase
But the sequestor "cuts" $23 dollars of the increase
What would you put off adding to your budget?

Remember however

The BIG battle is coming in about a week or two[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

I get a kick out of people comparing private sector to public sector and try and make it sound like they operate under the same market structure and same market forces.

Then your ass must be very sore
Abraham Lincoln

Actually, it is more my belly...from laughing.

Well I dont think them the same at all

The gov is a black hole that only consumes but produces nothing

A private sector business can not rob money from others to survive as this bloated government does

But, why dont you supply us some of these so called comparisons that make you laugh so hard?
Abraham Lincoln

a 50% reduction in Fed employees would be a good start

How it come across if someone said that they think you ought to not have your job, that half of the people at your company should just be fired because you don't agree with the way it does business, consequences be damned?

Not very nice, I'd say.

I already went through a 100% cut from the Fed...back in Sept. 2010. There is a life after the Government, and I'ts a far better life in terms of money. But I was very blessed to have good connections and some mad skills, that I picked up along the way. B|

Hmmm

When I first started reading your reply the hair on the back of my neck started to rise but

I went through it a couple more times and

well

You make some valid points

For you and I it would come down to what degree

But that might be a long long thread

You see, Marc, the national health care of 100 million Europeans and other US allies is being subsidzed out of YOUR WALLET! Because for every buck of YOUR taxes that covers the US contribution to the security umbrella over the home of someone living in Brussels or Tokyo (what the hell do you think our aircraft carrier task forces are for?), that's one buck of their own tax money the Belgians and Japanese DON'T have to pay for their own defense, so that Belgian or Japanese buck is freed-up to be invested into a National Health Care that EVERY SINGLE ONE of our allies has, but the US does not. Belgians and Brits and Aussies and Japanese don't lose their family's health insurance when they get laid off at age 45; only Americans do. And this is why.

Stop doing the estreme argument thing
Does not work here as it has been tried by too many

This coming from someone who just a little while ago inferred that the government has gone wild and has breached the boundaries set forth in the constitution?!? You sound like one of the right wingnuts who are afraid of their blessed guns being taken away, who scream "down with the government" and "cut everything, as long as I still get my medicare, defense contracts, and nuclear missiles."

Don't call me the extreme one here... I'm not trying to make the government so small that I can drown it in a bathtub.

Reading your post is somewhat frustrating. Stop living in fear man. Get a hold of yourself, and put on your big boy pants. If you get the boot, there are millions of your fellow countrymen that are waiting to greet you in the unemployment line. You will be welcomed there with open arms.

]
How it come across if someone said that they think you ought to not have your job, that half of the people at your company should just be fired because you don't agree with the way it does business, consequences be damned?

Not very nice, I'd say.

So if I was running an over bloated company that was constantly operating in the red and you were working at an efficient profitable company down the road you wouldn't mind if my company kept its hand in your pocket and was continually asking for more without making improvements or becoming more efficient?
As long as we are playing nice what's a little give and take amongst friends

You see, Marc, the national health care of 100 million Europeans and other US allies is being subsidzed out of YOUR WALLET! Because for every buck of YOUR taxes that covers the US contribution to the security umbrella over the home of someone living in Brussels or Tokyo (what the hell do you think our aircraft carrier task forces are for?), that's one buck of their own tax money the Belgians and Japanese DON'T have to pay for their own defense, so that Belgian or Japanese buck is freed-up to be invested into a National Health Care that EVERY SINGLE ONE of our allies has, but the US does not. Belgians and Brits and Aussies and Japanese don't lose their family's health insurance when they get laid off at age 45; only Americans do. And this is why.

acknowledgment that someone has to pay for it - zero sum game - this is great

but it's so much easier to understand (us) when the benefits go to other countries (vs them) than just, another state, or to your neighbor via social programs, etc etc etc.

(example - every deduction allowed means those that don't take the deduction are paying more to take up the slack. mortgage deductions, tax incentives, exemptions, etc etc etc - get rid of them all)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(example - every deduction allowed means those that don't take the deduction are paying more to take up the slack. mortgage deductions, tax incentives, exemptions, etc etc etc - get rid of them all)

Agreed. And no special treatment for one source of income over another (like hedge fund managers only pay 15%).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Agreed. And no special treatment for one source of income over another (like hedge fund managers only pay 15%).

agreed - flat rate, starting at dollar number 1. all income is income.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants