Skyrad

'We bear responsibility for every child': B H Obama

And the minute Obama pulls out of Afghanistan and Iraq he's labeled a cut and run, soft on defense, the Muslims are winning type of guy by the right. War is hell, how do you want it served?

After 9-11 no one gave a shit about all of the innocent people murdered in Iraq during the invasion and occupation. Now all of a sudden everyone is up in arms over drone attacks.

And for the record, I was against going to Afghanistan, Iraq and hate our use of drones.

And yes, GWB started all of this nonsense, no blame, just fact.

So the first five posts in a thread about the shooting are:

a post using the tragedy to object to US foreign policy
a post using the tragedy to bash Obama
a post using the tragedy to bash Obama
a post using the tragedy to push an abortion stance
a post using the tragedy to object to US foreign policy

Bravo. Makes me think there are people here who wish these things happened more often.

And yes, GWB started all of this nonsense, no blame, just fact.

Unless you count the attacks by Clinton before him, or Bush 1 before him, or Reagan before him or.....

But hey, I'm sure none of those guys were so duplicitous as to express regret over vicitims of domestic tragedies.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

How do you justify expanding the drone warfare?

In which post did I do that? Are you imagining things again?

It was implied by your apparent support of Obama.

Only in your imagination.

Where did I say I supported drone warfare? I asked Shredex how he would prosecute the war since he criticized Obama's handling of it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Where did I say I supported drone warfare? I asked Shredex how he would prosecute the war since he criticized Obama's handling of it.

Your statement implies that Obama is handling it correctly and drones seems to be a big part of how Obama is handling the war.

And the minute Obama pulls out of Afghanistan and Iraq he's labeled a cut and run, soft on defense, the Muslims are winning type of guy by the right.

Yep. he doesn't have to run for re-election. Why should he care?

I thought the thread was going to be about the speech at the memorial. but it digressed pretty fast.

1 - I think it was a very nice and classy speech for the first 2/3s. sensitive and non-political and caring about the families of the victims.

2 - However, we are NOT responsible for every child. More "takes a village" bullshit. We are responsible for our own families and communities. This type of tragedy is not a Federal issue, it's a local thing for all communities to work through. Federal has a list of things to be responsible for and it''s already way past the line of reason and expectation.

3 - The last bit was political and I was sad to see it move that way. Not the right place for it. Not the right time. He likely insulted or offended (statistically) a third of the families of the the victims (and cheered up another third, and was neutral to the other third). Very crappy choice. He had a great start and should recognize where to stop.

4 - the audience - cripes people, you actually applauded or cheered a speech at a memorial service. Especially one for this horrible event? Seriously? That was very disturbing. I could just see the mourners - they are taking what comfort they could from the speech and the privilege of the POTUS coming and speaking in person, a handful of assholes APPLAUD? then they have to nervously decide if they should go along too....completely tactless.

I believe the POTUS cares. I believe that anyone that's not psychotic would care too. Whoever on staff that pushed to leverage this event past that is beyond imagination to me.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

we are NOT responsible for every child. More "takes a village" bullshit.

When in school, there are others responsible for my kids. If they are not protected I will hold them accountable.

You think the teachers should have done more?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

When in school, there are others responsible for my kids. If they are not protected I will hold them accountable.

is consistent with my comment - as the parent, you choose to place that kid under their care. It's a LOT different than what the president said in his memorial speech. And even MORE different than the current control proposals that actually would severely limit the choices you and your community could decide on to execute on that trust.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

as the parent, you choose to place that kid under their care.

Not if I wish to avoid the problems of California Penal Code section 270.1. And considering that homeschooling was declared illegal in 2008 in this state, um, no. I really have zero choice but to put my kids under their care or someone else will.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

as the parent, you choose to place that kid under their care.

Not if I wish to avoid the problems of California Penal Code section 270.1. And considering that homeschooling was declared illegal in 2008 in this state, um, no. I really have zero choice but to put my kids under their care or someone else will.

so the best example for you turns out to be that the philosophy being espoused is really code for talking away your choices in how to raise your own child.... [:/]

you just have to pick a nice school district - that's about it.....

My kids are in private school. But guns aren't allowed there, either.

My point is that the government now is stepping up to say that we have to protect our children. My point is that they were under the compulsory care of the government when they were gunned down. These kids gunned down in a place that was the apparent "model for school security." A model that was so deficient that an autistic nutcase with a gun easily defeated it.

Yes, in this case I will agree that the government bears responsibility for every child.

Your statement implies that Obama is handling it correctly and drones seems to be a big part of how Obama is handling the war.

No, you mistakenly inferred that, but I didn't imply any such thing.

You think the teachers should have done more?

Right, clearly after being shot dead they should have fought on anyway.

My point is that the government now is stepping up to say that we have to protect our children. My point is that they were under the compulsory care of the government when they were gunned down. These kids gunned down in a place that was the apparent "model for school security." A model that was so deficient that an autistic nutcase with a gun easily defeated it.

Yes, in this case I will agree that the government bears responsibility for every child.

we're talking past each other, I was being more general than simply the gun part of the discussion

let's just say I understand your answer from the perspective i think you are talking to and I have no issue with that interpretation. though I think it misses the intent of what I was trying to get across

What makes you think he was autistic? As the father of an autistic son I do know a bit about the subject having researched it for years. Autistic kids by nature do not like confrontations of any kind. His actions clearly prove his problem was not autism.
Onward and Upward!

Some news sources have reported that the shooter had some kind of autistic spectrum disorder.

Those reports have been debunked, more likely some sort of severe bi-polar disorder. Dr. Sanjay Gupta did a story on it the other night and all experts agree this was not the behavior you would expect to see in an autistic person.
Onward and Upward!

What makes you think he was autistic? As the father of an autistic son I do know a bit about the subject having researched it for years. Autistic kids by nature do not like confrontations of any kind. His actions clearly prove his problem was not autism.

Allegations out there about his being autistic. Doesn't fit for me, either, bu I went with it.