CarpeDiem3

No more Twinkies?

It's a government service

It's quasi governmental. The problems now are also an example of how legislation can impact private industry. Congress requires $5.5 billion per year from them for health care benefits. Then the recession hit. And e-mail is more dominant.

It's the problem with legislation - it stays the same even when circumstances change.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hostess has gone the way of Eastern Airlines,

Indeed. Frank Lorenzo, already an accomplished corporate raider and ruthless union-buster, took over Eastern determined to bust its unions. He did so, and took the company along with it. Everybody lost, except Frank. He's a pig; although he did pretty well for himself. The owners of Hostess can now join the same roster of infamy. Where did Communism originate? Not with Communists; no, it originated because of the existence of pigs like this.

The real ROFL will undoubtedly be that FoxNews will convince the socially-conservative blue collar laborers that comprise its regular viewership that management were the good guys in this farce. Bread and circuses, et al.

I guess the part that got to me about the Eastern Airlines matter was that the Machinists Union REJOICED at the situation. Yes, Lorenzo was the ONLY winner, and the union was a hardcore enabler.

The union's final motive in the Eastern episode was not higher wages and benefits for Eastern workers, but was to destroy Eastern Airlines. Even after Lorenzo was sacked, the union sought nothing more than to last longer than Eastern. Since the Sherman Antitrust Act exempts unions from penalizing these practices, they do it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hostess has gone the way of Eastern Airlines,

Indeed. Frank Lorenzo, already an accomplished corporate raider and ruthless union-buster, took over Eastern determined to bust its unions. He did so, and took the company along with it. Everybody lost, except Frank. He's a pig; although he did pretty well for himself. The owners of Hostess can now join the same roster of infamy. Where did Communism originate? Not with Communists; no, it originated because of the existence of pigs like this.

The real ROFL will undoubtedly be that FoxNews will convince the socially-conservative blue collar laborers that comprise its regular viewership that management were the good guys in this farce. Bread and circuses, et al.

i dont understand your thinking. there are no good or bad guys. the private equity people who put up the money feels they cannot turn a profit unless the bakers agree to the same terms as the Teamsters. They did not. so to protect their investment they will cut their losses and move on to another project that can pay a return on investment inline with their goals. That does not make them good or bad people. that makes them reasonable people who made a decision that is best inline with their goals. After all, it is their money that is at risk, so its their decision to continue or not.

everyone involved are adults. it is a business and terms like good or bad are more suited for a childs argument than an adult conversation. i dont understand the need to find villians and victims.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

I guess the part that got to me about the Eastern Airlines matter was that the Machinists Union REJOICED at the situation. Yes, Lorenzo was the ONLY winner, and the union was a hardcore enabler.

The union's final motive in the Eastern episode was not higher wages and benefits for Eastern workers, but was to destroy Eastern Airlines. Even after Lorenzo was sacked, the union sought nothing more than to last longer than Eastern. Since the Sherman Antitrust Act exempts unions from penalizing these practices, they do it.

You're lacking the necessary broad perspective. Eastern wasn't a war; it was a battle in the war.

One commonality in all of these situations are the ones on both sides that negotiated the original deals that caused the issue, pocketed the profits long ago and are gone.

Decisions made for short term gain with long term negative future consequences.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

so 3 months from now, there will be nothing but snowballs available?

honestly I've felt that twinkies lost something a while ago - or my tastes changed. I think it's the former, since I still like their cupcakes.

So Twinkies which were suppose to survive a nuclear holocaust die three weeks before the end of the world? Well played Mayans, well played.........

And what is really sad is it was only a week after CO & WA legalized pot.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

So Twinkies which were suppose to survive a nuclear holocaust die three weeks before the end of the world? Well played Mayans, well played.........

All you Colorado stoners should be patient. The rights to the product names and recipes will most likely be purchased by someone, and Twinkie production will resume.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>I sort of agree with you. The unions didn't understand they were being played as pawns.

Pawns? They got what they wanted. They didn't want to work under those conditions/agreements, so now they don't have to.

Yes, pawns. The company got exactly what it wanted; a brand name they can sell for more than what it was previously worth. It's worth more today because the exact same brand and facilities don't have to honor a previous contract which included wages above the minimum and other employee benefits. The "new" company has all the upside of the old company, but is unburdened of any previous agreements it made and the new buyers would absolutely be willing to pay a premium for that since it works to their (the investors) benefit in the long term. The 18,000 employees got fucked, while investors on both sides get a sweeter deal.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

All you Colorado stoners should be patient. The rights to the product names and recipes will most likely be purchased by someone, and Twinkie production will resume.

Exactly what happened when Fannie May Candies went belly up some 10 years ago. I suspect all the hoarders expecting to make a killing will be very disappointed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I sort of agree with you. The unions didn't understand they were being played as pawns.

Pawns? They got what they wanted. They didn't want to work under those conditions/agreements, so now they don't have to.

Yes, pawns. The company got exactly what it wanted; a brand name they can sell for more than what it was previously worth. It's worth more today because the exact same brand and facilities don't have to honor a previous contract which included wages above the minimum and other employee benefits. The "new" company has all the upside of the old company, but is unburdened of any previous agreements it made and the new buyers would absolutely be willing to pay a premium for that since it works to their (the investors) benefit in the long term. The 18,000 employees got fucked, while investors on both sides get a sweeter deal.

Hmmm - seems that I've heard stories like that before. In the old days the owners would go to debtors' prison, now they make a lot of money.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.