PhreeZone

US Navy SEALS punished for leaking information

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/08/navy-seals-punished/1693453/

I've played the game and can't tell what they would have leaked that was not already in half a dozen games of similar nature.

It is disappointing to see that these soldiers are disclosing this information, it is even more disconcerting that this has now happened twice with the same unit within the last year.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think it was just a marketing strategy - we used real navy SEALS to help us design this game. I agree they probably didn't disclose tactics that compromised anybody.

IMHO, the government wants them to be silent warriors and not benefit financially by cooperating with Silicon Valley. That may tarnish the hard earned honor of Navy SEALS.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

A little more "detail"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/09/navy-seals-breach-video-game

The two main complaints against the Seals were that they did not seek the permission of their command to take part in the video project and that they showed the video designers some of their specially designed combat equipment unique to their unit, said a senior military official.

As you are probably aware, it doesn't matter if its an "open secret" or not. You are not allowed disclose classified information regardless of it being out there already. For nearly a decade Intel agencies couldn't use the words "Satellite Imagery" together because doing so was admitting we had the capability even though pretty much everyone knew we did already.

Maybe we have a little better understanding of why Mark Owen got out of the NAVY and the unit he loved. The BHO administration can blab all kinds of crap or hide all cans of crap, that's OK. It's FUBAR!

Oh well, another old military sayin' RHIP.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Maybe we have a little better understanding of why Mark Owen got out of the NAVY and the unit he loved. The BHO administration can blab all kinds of crap or hide all cans of crap, that's OK. It's FUBAR!

Oh well, another old military sayin' RHIP.

Different rules for different people within an organization. Like our CEO is authorized to speak to the press, I am not.

>Maybe we have a little better understanding of why Mark Owen got out of the NAVY
>and the unit he loved. The BHO administration can blab all kinds of crap or hide all
>cans of crap, that's OK. It's FUBAR!

No, that's how it works. (It's the same in the engineering world; you can't say whatever you feel like, but your CTO can.)

I'm wondering if they actually disclosed any secrets. Seems to me that their command is more upset about earning in the side without prior approval (a no-no).

Reminds of the early nineties when Clinton et al were trying to out the crypto cat back in the bag. I think it was Zimmerman who downloaded PGP from a German mirror site while testifying, but could've faced Leavenworth for sending a copy back due to exporting munitions or state "secrets."

Like we've established, secret isn't always secret, but if you have a clearance you'd better not spill the beans, even if your standing ankle deep in coffee, green, kidney, and navy.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

The SEAL mission to capture or kill Laden, while stunningly successful, encountered a number of unexpected obstacles, including the loss of a stealthy helicopter that was partially blown up by the SEALs after making a hard landing inside bin Laden's compound.

Someone *partially* blew up a *stealthy* helicopter after making a *hard* landing and we're expected to believe the rest of this article?
Owned by Remi #?

Someone *partially* blew up a *stealthy* helicopter after making a *hard* landing and we're expected to believe the rest of this article?

Some guy survives a 12000 foot fall even though his "chute" failed to open.

OWKA

Some guy had a mal and deployed his reserve.
Owned by Remi #?

Reminds of the early nineties when Clinton et al were trying to out the crypto cat back in the bag.

Trying to out what?

Trying to PUT, not trying to OUT. Uneditable typo.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Reminds of the early nineties when Clinton et al were trying to out the crypto cat back in the bag.

Trying to out what?

Trying to PUT, not trying to OUT. Uneditable typo.

Oh. I was getting this image of a cartoon character named Crypto Cat being exposed as a homosexual.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/jbonham/cryptocat.png