rushmc

Time to Lay Down Your Cards

It was, in my opinon, in too far to start with. Now it is in even further

But I am not taling about emergency care, I am talking about regulations beyond that

No, our hc system is not perfect. I think it could be much better with fewer regulations (notice I said fewer, not no regulation)

Yes, segregation was and remains a rights issue. A cut and dried humans treating humans issue. Not an issue of government control.

Schools

You seem to think that local school control would be bad for children. I do not.

But the feds want control. The reasons are self evident

BTW, do you thinks ethics as defined by Christians is bad?

How is the government into healthcare in bad ways right now? What regulations in healthcare show the government going in too far (since you're excluding emergency care)

If humans treat humans unfairly (e.g. local school boards saying that blacks should have different schools, or that all hispanics have to prove that they are citizens before they can attend), should the government be involved?

As far as ethics as defined by Christians, I think that even Christians disagree on some of them. To a Pentecostalist, women shouldn't cut their hair. UCC believe that gays should have full participation in all facets of church life. Some churches don't believe that women should have any position of power of any men. And people who believe only in the King James Version might have an issue with a school pulling wording out of the Revised Standard Version. And, well -- does that mean that children who are Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan, atheist, etc -- are they excluded?

Unfettered local control is just as bad as unfettered government power.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>In your name, what charity do you want it sent to?

Either Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) or Doctors Without Borders, your choice.

Done

If you win
I make sure you get the reciept
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

It was, in my opinon, in too far to start with. Now it is in even further

But I am not taling about emergency care, I am talking about regulations beyond that

No, our hc system is not perfect. I think it could be much better with fewer regulations (notice I said fewer, not no regulation)

Yes, segregation was and remains a rights issue. A cut and dried humans treating humans issue. Not an issue of government control.

Schools

You seem to think that local school control would be bad for children. I do not.

But the feds want control. The reasons are self evident

BTW, do you thinks ethics as defined by Christians is bad?

How is the government into healthcare in bad ways right now? What regulations in healthcare show the government going in too far (since you're excluding emergency care)

If humans treat humans unfairly (e.g. local school boards saying that blacks should have different schools, or that all hispanics have to prove that they are citizens before they can attend), should the government be involved?

As far as ethics as defined by Christians, I think that even Christians disagree on some of them. To a Pentecostalist, women shouldn't cut their hair. UCC believe that gays should have full participation in all facets of church life. Some churches don't believe that women should have any position of power of any men. And people who believe only in the King James Version might have an issue with a school pulling wording out of the Revised Standard Version. And, well -- does that mean that children who are Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan, atheist, etc -- are they excluded?

Unfettered local control is just as bad as unfettered government power.

Wendy P.

Just removing the mandates states require insurance compaies to have would make a big difference

And again Wendy

I have never, at any point, advocated for unfettered controls

Just limiting the controls to those defined in the Constitution
Abraham Lincoln

I think Obama will take it with about 290 electoral votes. He's going to take Ohio and Wisconsin to cancel out Florida for Romney.

Lots of people agree with you

Dick Morris thinks otherwise

He has a good track record too
Abraham Lincoln

>Gays have all the same rights today Marrige is not a right

Funny, the conservatives of the 1950's used similar arguments to ban interracial marriage; they claimed that it wasn't a rights issue, it was simple morality. It took a Supreme Court decision to overturn that. Which proves Wendy's point - racial segregation was something that the government did have to take on.

>Gays have all the same rights today Marrige is not a right

Funny, the conservatives of the 1950's used similar arguments to ban interracial marriage; they claimed that it wasn't a rights issue, it was simple morality. It took a Supreme Court decision to overturn that. Which proves Wendy's point - racial segregation was something that the government did have to take on.

The point being is racial segregation and marriage are nothing alike
Abraham Lincoln

Schools and healthcare aren't mentioned in the Constitution.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Schools and healthcare aren't mentioned in the Constitution.

Wendy P.

Exactly

It also states that those powers not specifically enumerated are left to the states
Abraham Lincoln

Marrige is not a right

Neither is voting for President (check the Constitution). So please stay home.

So you would disenfranchise someone base on views

Go figure

BTW

Already voted
Abraham Lincoln

I see what you're saying here. I wish we'd gotten there sooner.

If the state or city or school board enacts something that goes against the Constitution (e.g. says that schoolchildren are required to say Christian prayers, when the Constitution says that no laws shall be made respecting a particular religion), isn't that where the feds come in? Or should they just ignore that?

wendy P.

I see what you're saying here. I wish we'd gotten there sooner.

If the state or city or school board enacts something that goes against the Constitution (e.g. says that schoolchildren are required to say Christian prayers, when the Constitution says that no laws shall be made respecting a particular religion), isn't that where the feds come in? Or should they just ignore that?

wendy P.

If the Constitution is violated then of course the DOJ comes in

But there should not be a Federal Dept of Education controling the money as it does today
Abraham Lincoln

>The point being is racial segregation and marriage are nothing alike

Preventing interracial couples from getting married based on conservative morality has nothing to do with preventing gay couples from getting married based on conservative morality?

Interesting opinion.

I don't know what the count will be, or if we'll even know by Wednesday morning. But I predict that almost half of the country will be really pissed off when we do find out who wins the election.

The great thing about the EC is that it is possible that just over half the county can be pissed off.:P

First it becomes a local issue. Then if that doesn't work a state issue. If that doesn't work then it's a federal issue. The federal issue being, "There's this Constitution thingy and you have to live by it."

That doesn't mean the president shutting down the school. But it may mean a federal court injunction preventing it, if the state court doesn't do something. Either way, it's almost always private citizens seeking redress, not public servants moving in.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Isn't that the way it usually works? And if someone asks that Federal bureaucracy how they might rule, is it wrong for them to indicate?

Wendy P.

I don't know what the count will be, or if we'll even know by Wednesday morning. But I predict that almost half of the country will be really pissed off when we do find out who wins the election.

The great thing about the EC is that it is possible that just over half the county can be pissed off.:P

True..... But I was thinking that not every voter will be pissed off if his/her candidate loses. I ended up voting for Johnson, who definitely won't win. I prefer Obama over Romney, and my state (CA) will likely go to Obama despite my vote. But I won't be pissed off if Romney wins, though I feel like I'm in the minority there. There seems to be so much vitriol toward each of the candidates from each opposing side.

I predict <270 for Romney.

BTW

Thanks for your post

This was all I was really after

One of the reasons I feel as I do is represented by the CNN poll that shows Romnew winning independants 59% to 35%

It seems that in past elections it has all been about who gets the independants

Have not heard much about them year

Curious
Abraham Lincoln