Stumpy

"Legitimate rape" won't make you pregnant

Now he's saying that he misspoke. He didn't mean legitamate rape, he meant forcible rape. Yeah, that makes it better :S

That's what he thinks he 'misspoke' about?

I'd love for someone to ask him if he still thinks the rest of it's correct.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

?

Maybe he was thinking of prison rape.:D

Well, if those didn't cause pregnancy, it must have been legitimate.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

That same comment (among other gaffes, but that one was seared into the electorate's minds) probably lost Clayton Williams the governorship to Ann Richards in Texas in 1990. He was up by about 20 points, lost by 11.

It's really not very funny.

Wendy P.

I remember Claytie saying something like... 'Rape is like rain, it's inevitible so lay-back and enjoy it!'
Then, he tried to slough it off by saying it was just 'barnyard talk. Ha, ha...' He also lost any support by women's groups! The guy is a joke, in these parts.

Chuck

Now he's saying that he misspoke. He didn't mean legitamate rape, he meant forcible rape. Yeah, that makes it better :S

He didn't misspeak. He simply revealed his anti-woman bigotry and was caught.

Ryan is another one. He thinks forcibly raped women (including teenage girls) should have to bear their rapist's children.

We don't know Romney's position this afternoon, it may have flip flopped again since this morning.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>We don't know Romney's position this afternoon

He stated it pretty clearly when he was running for Senate:

"I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, that we should sustain and support it and I sustain and support that law and the right of the woman to make that choice. . . .And you will not see me wavering on that."

>We don't know Romney's position this afternoon

He stated it pretty clearly when he was running for Senate:

"I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, that we should sustain and support it and I sustain and support that law and the right of the woman to make that choice. . . .And you will not see me wavering on that."

Gee, Bill, that is so 1990's.

Surprise Sex is the new LEGITIMATE term for rape.

No, it is "assault with a friendly weapon."

I have said some dumb shit in my life!
TRUST ME!
But i've never been this dumb!
My god...this is just....wow! Really?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

According to attorney and talk show host Lionel, possible options are 1) I was hungover, 2) I was drunk/stoned, 3) I meant exactly what I said.

When you are definitely caught dead to rights just take option 3. Lionel went on to explain that any forceful public statement will garner 25% public support. Then just move on.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I understood what he was thinking from the beginning. He was in a wishful thinking mode that the full blown, she's been violently raped and her uterus is so torn up she cannot sustain a pregnancy. Ignorance induced by his belief system that says abortion is always wrong.

I'm a bit torn. Yes, the guy is probably too ignorant, stupid or just hard headed biased to make laws. But, if you spent a little time with the rest of them, you would probably find they are all about the same. I remember the congressman who suggested during a hearing about Marines re-locating on a pacific island that the move might cause the island to tip over. You don't have to be bright to get elected.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

>I understood what he was thinking from the beginning. He was in a wishful thinking
> mode that the full blown, she's been violently raped and her uterus is so torn up she
>cannot sustain a pregnancy.

Well, except he said the opposite. Rather than claiming that a woman's reproductive system was at risk for being damaged, he claimed it was strong enough to defend itself against pregnancy in the case of rape - in his words, a woman's body has ways to "shut the whole thing down.

(However I do agree that he was probably in wishful-thinking mode.)

I've actually heard people say that the hormones created by the trauma would prevent pregnancy. It was once a popular belief. Ridiculous. My grandmother once told me she didn't let her daughters bathe or swim during their cycle because it caused mental instability....

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

In all honesty, his main point was:
"We should protect the child, punish the rapist and give support to the woman. Don't take away the child's life just because of what the rapist did"

His biological knowledge about the female body is obviously wrong though it wasn't the justification for making abortion illegal.

His wordings were obviously extremely poor, but the media definitely twist it in a way to give shock&awe.

(I am not defending Akin as I am pro-abortion on this topic but I did want to point out that the media/PR are trying to deceive us with snipets comments)

Cheers!
Shc

Very refreshing to see someone here concede something not in the interests of their personal position. Thanks.

"We should protect the child, punish the rapist and give support to the woman. Don't take away the child's life just because of what the rapist did"

His biological knowledge about the female body is obviously wrong though it wasn't the justification for making abortion illegal.

His wordings were obviously extremely poor, but the media definitely twist it in a way to give shock&awe.

(I am not defending Akin as I am pro-abortion on this topic but I did want to point out that the media/PR are trying to deceive us with snipets comments)

Cheers!
Shc

Are you missing the 'legitamate rape' part, where the clear insinuation is that women lie about being raped? That's the worst part of it for me. Not his blatant lack of education in biology (which he did later admit to), but what his statement says about victims of violence.... which he later reinforced by saying that he meant 'forcible rape'....as opposed to any other kind?

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

There is a school of thought that if the woman doesn't resist enough, it wasn't rape. This might have been the reprehensible thing he was indicating. As I pointed out earlier, there is also a school of thought that violent rape does not allow a woman's body to become pregnant. That's merely ignorant. Of course, he may have meant both.

Still doesn't mean the media isn't blowing it up. They often do.

Cheers!
Shc

Are you missing the 'legitamate rape' part, where the clear insinuation is that women lie about being raped? That's the worst part of it for me. Not his blatant lack of education in biology (which he did later admit to), but what his statement says about victims of violence.... which he later reinforced by saying that he meant 'forcible rape'....as opposed to any other kind?

Some women do lie about having been raped to get revenge on a man or for some other. Just like women lie about a spouse having sexually abused their child. Especially in a custody case. These cases aren't frequent but they do happen. Cases like that don't really help someone who has actually been raped. Law enforcement needs the proof of 'blood and bruises'.

Chuck

>Some women do lie about having been raped to get revenge on a man or for some other.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean that there are different kinds of rape. A woman who consented to sex, then later decided to claim it was rape, was not a victim of "illegitimate rape" or "non-forcible rape" or anything - she wasn't raped, period.

(Not disagreeing with you, mainly answering the issue of "degrees" of rape.)

Disagree.

Akin apologized and said he misspoke, but was he apologetic because he doesn't believe what he said or just because so many are offended by it?

It was interesting to note that his so-called "apology" included an affirmation of his anti-abortion agenda, saying he believes "deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action."

So clearly he doesn't believe the raped woman is an innocent victim, since carrying the rapist's child to term is additional harm to her.

Unfortunately his thinking seems all to common in the GOP. The draft of the GOP platform just published would make all abortions illegal, including for rape victims.

Cheers!
Shc

Worst part of it for me is that such a bigoted ignoramus is already in Congress and won the GOP primary for Senator.