D22369

how would you handle it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/father-letter-disowning-gay-son_n_1752053.html

so how would you feel or handle your child coming out of the closet?

personally I would be disappointed if mine does, not because of his sexual orientation but because I would never get grandchildren - I'm kinda looking foreward to that.

This is no reason to disown your child.
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

personally I would be disappointed if mine does, not because of his sexual orientation but because I would never get grandchildren - I'm kinda looking foreward to that.

it's still possible, though you may have to adopt a more flexible definition of grand child.

Some parents are just fucked in the head. One of my friends was disowned by her mother for a perceived slight - a photo album of a family visit that didn't include any pictures of mom who was sick and wearing a mask. The album wasn't even done by her, but her sister in law. Yet it was an obvious sign of disrespect and after a year of trying to make amends for a non slight, my friend gave up on her.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/father-letter-disowning-gay-son_n_1752053.html

Roy

I would be disappointed only because I would know that my child's chance to obtain the maximum amount of happiness in her life would be at risk.

I had a nephew who came out as trans-gender seven years ago, I tried to look at it as if I didn't lose a nephew but gained a niece, his life is far from happy, but I guess either way he's screwed.

I love my son more than life itself, and cannot conceive of rejecting him over something like who he finds interesting when he hits puberty. That's really not my call anyway.

My concern was best voiced by my brother's friend David, who explained his marriage as an act of denial, since "nobody wants to be a paraiah."

If the kid wanted to undergo sexual mutilation to achieve some kind of "gender change," I would strongly advise against it. As "solutions" go, it seems something other than optimal.

Anyhow, just because I am on the same page regarding homosexuality as Andrew Dice Clay ("I don't get it...") does not mean I value someone the less because something trips their trigger that elicits a dial-tone on my part.

A good starting point in living an ethical life is "to thine own self be true," and one is no more likely to be an decent human being by virtue of being a breeder.

My hope is that my son will remain an honest and considerate human being, and I can only try to set an example. If he turns out to be dishonest and inconsiderate that will wound me; if he turns out to be gay, that will simply puzzle me.

BSBD,

Winsor

Roy

My first reaction to the letter was, this may not be real. However, whether real or not, never disown a member of your family.

We have two known gay members in our family. They are welcome at reunions the same as everybody.

I still believe that it is sad and, like winsor, puzzling, that someone would choose that path to satisfy a passion.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Roy

my fear would be more of what they will have to deal with in life (there are assholes out there)

Life can be a nasty thing

I would still love them and support them just as much
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Thank god I don't have any kids.
It's not that I don't want them it's that I know I'm not mature enough nor patient enough for children at this moment in my life. That said I have many gay friends and may straight friends and for me I can care less about a person's sexuality or their race or their creed. I've traveled the world and have come to realize that all of that are superficial to a person's soul.

Thus if I had the fortune of being a father and my son or daughter came to me and we had a frank discussion about him or her being gay. I could care less as long as they were content with their lives and healthy and respectable members of the community.

Now if they came to me and told me they were Republicans...well....then we would have to have a talk!

Just kidding!
:)

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I don't want anyone telling me how to have sex. So, I don't tell them. Very simple.

When my son came out to the family, he complained that I wasn't supportive of him. I asked him how I was supposed to do that. I pointed out that he had the room above mine and I never heard him cheering me on when his mother and I were coupling. He seemed to think being gay gave him some special entitlement from others. I told him it made no difference to me one way or the other. I didn't try to raise him to be like me. I tried to raise him to enjoy his life, aid others where he could and not harm anyone else.

I don't see why the way someone chooses to have sex or with who is anyone else's business.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Hate to break it to you but there are plenty of heterosexual people who can't or don't reproduce.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

True homosexuality is not a 'choice'. Real homosexuals are born that way.

Chuck

Fornication is an option and therefore a choice.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

So if gay men are in a committed relationship and don't have sex they are heterosexual?

You should be actively advocating for gay marriage then! We all know that marriage ends sex.

Good point!

I do not like the politically incorrect use of the term marriage for homosexuals. It is a religious term for the joining of a man and a woman. The joining of two gays cannot be a marriage. I'm OK with civil union.

What about those religions that approve of gay marriage and perform gay marriages?

I think we get into a big battle over which religion is the right one when we go down this road.

Some religions and even Christian denominations ordain gay ministers and sanction gay marriages. So, claiming gay marriage violates the idea of marriage being a religious institution doesn't hold up unless you claim those religions / denominations aren't religions. Where are you at that point?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Chuck

I'm not talking about 'fornication'... I'm talking about real, genuine, born that way homosexuals.
You're mincing my words.
Some people choose to fuck anything that's warm... yeah that is a choice but we weren't talking choices.

Chuck

What about those religions that approve of gay marriage and perform gay marriages?

I think we get into a big battle over which religion is the right one when we go down this road.

Some religions and even Christian denominations ordain gay ministers and sanction gay marriages. So, claiming gay marriage violates the idea of marriage being a religious institution doesn't hold up unless you claim those religions / denominations aren't religions. Where are you at that point?

I stand with the majority of my family and friends against those religions that accept gay recognition in any form.

I also realize that it don't mean nothing. Several members of my family do not agree with me. We talk about other subjects.

Chuck

I'm not talking about 'fornication'... I'm talking about real, genuine, born that way homosexuals.
You're mincing my words.
Some people choose to fuck anything that's warm... yeah that is a choice but we weren't talking choices.

Chuck

I am focusing on accepting personal responsibility for personal choices. That is the crux of the whole discussion point.

People need to learn the bases for the choices that they make. To say I can't help it is the ultimate cop out. When applied to sexual behavior, the I can't help it argument opens the door for every form of perversion.

There is some guy in north FL that has been arrested twice that I know of for screwing his horse. He claims he can't help it.

What I am saying is, those people who are born, homosexual, really 'can't help it'. It's in their genes and it's not a choice. You are saying it is a choice. Comparing them to someone who indulges in beastiality is wrong.

Chuck

I was born an alcoholic. I need alcohol to have a good time. Eventually, I realized that was a poor behavior choice and created problems in my health, my interpersonal relationships, my employment and my place in society.

Any behavior choice, regardless of the origin, that creates a problem in one or more of those categories requires examination for mature development. The I was born that way position is denial and certain to exacerbate the problem to some degree.

I don't have as much fun as I used to but I know it is a better life choice because I have less problems.

>I was born an alcoholic.

>The "I was born that way" position is denial . . . .

But it sounds like you subscribe to it.

Hmmm....