airdvr

How does the left reconcile...

..that Obama professes to be a religious person, yet many of you laugh at the notion of religion?

From a 2006 speech...And if we're going to do that then we first need to understand that Americans are a religious people. 90 percent of us believe in God, 70 percent affiliate themselves with an organized religion, 38 percent call themselves committed Christians, and substantially more people in America believe in angels than they do in evolution.

Personally I think most Presidents profess to be religious when they aren't because you are forced to in any campaign today.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Not every liberal laughs at the notion of religion, and even some who are atheists or agnostics don't laugh at someone else's beliefs -- their beliefs are their business, but action and commitment to something that's supposed to make a positive difference in the world and in one's life is to be commended regardless.

The ones who laugh loudest are the most vocal; kinda like that squeaky wheel thing (just like some of the most vocal of the hard-right wing).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Personally I think most Presidents profess to be religious when they aren't because you are forced to in any campaign today.

I think you sort of answered your own question. It's not like we've had any viable candidates who don't profess to be religious.

>that Obama professes to be a religious person, yet many of you laugh at >the notion of religion? ?? Only about 25% of democrats do not belong to an organized religion. (15% "none", 7% "other", Gallup poll 2011)

Pretty large gap between belonging and believing. I'll venture a guess that most members of the democratic party are not terribly religious. A woman's right to choose is part of the platform and not many deep believers are OK with that.

Destinations by Roxanne

Not every liberal laughs at the notion of religion, and even some who are atheists or agnostics don't laugh at someone else's beliefs

I'm not an American, but I'm definitely left and I do laugh at the notion of religion, but if a politician does his job well I couldn't care less about his/her religion. By doing his/her job well, I also mean the politician is secular in the sense that he/she keeps his/her religious beliefs (or lack thereof) separated from his/her politics. Most politicians manage to do that. I've absolutely no clue what the religion is of anyone I voted for, btw.

Pretty much the same way "the righties" ignore Romney belongs to a cult. ;)

Do I actually mean that? No. Does it make as much sense as the question you asked in your original post? Yes.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>I'll venture a guess that most members of the democratic party are not >terribly religious.

I guess it depends on your definition of "terribly," but overall I'd agree that the right tend to be more terribly religious than the left.

>A woman's right to choose is part of the platform and not many deep
>believers are OK with that.

Right - but it can be a mistake to identify religions by their extremists. For your average believer it's a lot more split. 56% of Catholics, for example, support choice in a 2005 Harris poll.

Not every liberal laughs at the notion of religion, and even some who are atheists or agnostics don't laugh at someone else's beliefs -- their beliefs are their business, but action and commitment to something that's supposed to make a positive difference in the world and in one's life is to be commended regardless.

The ones who laugh loudest are the most vocal; kinda like that squeaky wheel thing (just like some of the most vocal of the hard-right wing).

Wendy P.

Apparently, your post was referring to those folks outside of the Speakers Corner.:)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

That's because there are no tolerant liberals, or noisy conservatives, right?
:P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Right - but it can be a mistake to identify religions by their extremists. For your average believer it's a lot more split. 56% of Catholics, for example, support choice in a 2005 Harris poll.

I'll suggest that if you are a fully committed Catholic there is no way you can be pro-choice. ”Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law… Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae, ‘by the very commission of the offense.’” http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm

Destinations by Roxanne

I think you're making two mistakes there.

The first is that "pro choice" means "pro abortion." Most of the Catholics I know are pro-choice but very much against abortion. You can be pro-right-to-smoke while still thinking smoking is a very stupid thing to do, for example.

The second is that most Catholics follow Church canon. I know, that means they're not "real" Catholics or whatever - but most of them aren't.

..that Obama professes to be a religious person, yet many of you laugh at the notion of religion?

From a 2006 speech...And if we're going to do that then we first need to understand that Americans are a religious people. 90 percent of us believe in God, 70 percent affiliate themselves with an organized religion, 38 percent call themselves committed Christians, and substantially more people in America believe in angels than they do in evolution.

People who fall into the 'liberal' category are as disparate as those falling into the 'conservative' category.

I tend toward the conservative in my life, but do not impose those things on others. I have no issues with homosexuality, plural marriage, legalizing drugs, etc. In politics, I am very libertarian. Many conservatives would see me as liberal. Many liberals would see me as right wing. But I digress.

Jimmy Carter was quite liberal, but a devout Christian. I can see where a Christian can reconcile much of the bible's teachings with liberal ideology. I can also see where another reading of the bible's teachings would support a conservative ideology. Most religions enjoy this ambiguity within them.

The fact that many vocal atheists identify with liberal ideology does not mean that liberal ideology is to be identified with atheism. That is a form of inductive reasoning that does not support inescapable conclusions.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I'm sorry, you obviously don't belong here. Everyone has to be kept in their boxes.

Wendy P.

I have to admit that I'm a bit out of place most everywhere.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I think you're making two mistakes there.

The first is that "pro choice" means "pro abortion." Most of the Catholics I know are pro-choice but very much against abortion. You can be pro-right-to-smoke while still thinking smoking is a very stupid thing to do, for example.

The second is that most Catholics follow Church canon. I know, that means they're not "real" Catholics or whatever - but most of them aren't.

I guess I'll have to have you define the 'choices' in pro-choice.

Destinations by Roxanne

>I guess I'll have to have you define the 'choices' in pro-choice. The choice to get an abortion or a selective reduction.

Eventually one of us will have to grab the only remaining seat in this game of musical choices...last time I checked those 2 choices involved abortion.

Destinations by Roxanne