BIGUN

Of the last five Presidents...

I'm afraid that those numbers don't count. Those are for a 2013 budget that hasn't been passed yet. And we all know it's been 3 years since Harry Reid brought a budget to the Senate floor.

I thought you wanted to talk about what has actually been done and not proposals. If you want to talk about some of Obama's proposals he is screwed, like cutting military pensions, increasing medical cost, etc...:(

Edited to add: Lets not forget about the automatic triggers and cuts that happened when the budget wasn't passed, most of which came out of the military.....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The greater the level of firepower rained down on the enemy the less the battlefield casualties. IMO

Guess how many battlefield casualties there are you you don't go into unnecessary wars?

My point exactly, with a large enough defense budget all wars become unnecessary.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The greater the level of firepower rained down on the enemy the less the battlefield casualties. IMO

Helping Veterans is more than just caring for the wounded in battle.:S

Correct, imagine the extent of long term benefits available to our veterans when the funds would not have to be expended on PTSD, TBI and SCI treatment.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Guess how many battlefield casualties there are you you don't go into unnecessary wars?

My point exactly, with a large enough defense budget all wars become unnecessary.

I disagree. With a large enough military budget ("defense" is an advertising euphimism), wars become virtually guaranteed, for the military must flex, justify and perpetuate itself; and the civilians who command it will be all the more tempted to use it imprudently.

I disagree. With a large enough military budget ("defense" is an advertising euphimism), wars become virtually guaranteed, for the military must flex, justify and perpetuate itself; and the civilians who command it will be all the more tempted to use it imprudently.

The classic economic question, guns or butter?

I'm a hawk. I vote for guns. Go churn your own butter.

Jesus is proud of people like you - NOT.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm afraid that those numbers don't count. Those are for a 2013 budget that hasn't been passed yet. And we all know it's been 3 years since Harry Reid brought a budget to the Senate floor.

I thought you wanted to talk about what has actually been done and not proposals. If you want to talk about some of Obama's proposals he is screwed, like cutting military pensions, increasing medical cost, etc...:(

Edited to add: Lets not forget about the automatic triggers and cuts that happened when the budget wasn't passed, most of which came out of the military.....

You're right. That was my Bad. Actuals to date only.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I disagree. With a large enough military budget ("defense" is an advertising euphemism), wars become virtually guaranteed, for the military must flex, justify and perpetuate itself; and the civilians who command it will be all the more tempted to use it imprudently.

Jesus is proud of people like you - NOT.

No, I was not making a "guns or butter" argument, which is an argument principally over competition for allocation of resources. I'm arguing from a separate context.

So to clarify my point: Suppose our nation had so much treasure that we could easily afford as much butter, and as many guns, as we could possibly gorge ourselves on. I would still argue that an overly-large military budget is a dynamic driving unnecessary wars, for the reasons I stated above.

*ETA- I had meant to reply to RonD's post...

I sincerely wish it worked that way.

If you consider how many inventions were guaranteed to produce such hideous results on the battlefield that they would render war inconceivable, I think the fundamental concept is flawed.

When there exists a military that is so impressive that it appears sure to overwhelm any potential opponent, there is, historically speaking, a near certainty that it will be used as an instrument of political will.

You know, shock and awe and all that.

BSBD,

Winsor