JohnRich

Germany announces plans for gun registry

News:
Germany announces plans for gun registry

"Germany's parliament is establishing a weapons registry. It will gather information from the 600 offices that issue weapons permits throughout Germany in one place.

"The registry is intended to make it easier for German authorities to get an overview of the roughly 10 million firearms in the hands of private owners. According to the draft of the Bundestag legislation, "the national arms register catalogs weapons as well as weapons permits, exemptions, orders, indemnification and personal prohibitions pertaining to weapons."

"Germany's Federal Administration Office is charged with maintaining the registry, which is designed to be quickly available to authorities. The goal is to make it easier to determine whether or not weapons are legally possessed, and to help officials with risk analysis when emergencies come up."
Full story: Deutsche Welle

Not to worry, cristelsabine, I'm sure that everything will go just fine with all your firearms.

The goal is to make it easier to determine whether or not weapons are legally possessed

Are they serious? Do they think is someone is in possession of an illegal firearm they will just come forward and register it?

Well, if it's not in the registry, then it's illegal! And with only 10 million database entries, from 600 different sources, cross-referenced to weapons permits, exemptions, orders, indemnification and personal prohibitions, what could possibly go wrong? I'm sure there's no chance that a serial number could be entered incorrectly, or two people with the same name could get mixed up, or anything like that. Not to worry! I'm sure the U.S. machinegun database is perfect too. And those Canadians must be crazy for getting rid of their long gun registration database, as the Germans always know what is best.

Are they serious? Do they think is someone is in possession of an illegal firearm they will just come forward and register it?

It means Police can ask on the radio for quick check on someone if they find a firearm in the possession of that person.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

as the Germans always know what is best.

As long as there aren't German toddlers shooting other German toddlers, at least those ignorant Krauts can comfort themselves with the thought they do better that the Yankees. Not that that's too hard, of course, one look at the gun violence statistics will tell you that any Western nation does better than the USA in that respect.

Do they think is someone is in possession of an illegal firearm they will just come forward and register it?

No they don't, now go back, read the sentence you quoted again, but this time try to understand it. It can be a bit hard, I know, but if you really concentrate on those 16 words, you might eventually discover what it really says.

Not to worry, cristelsabine, I'm sure that everything will go just fine with all your firearms.

For what should I worry? As a happy legal weapon owner, I do not fear anything.

As long as one follows the rules given ....

Rather, the Bundestag is aiming to follow a European Union directive calling for every member country to set up a computerized, constantly updated weapons register by 2014.

.... I mean, seen on our EU directives .....: All is good.

B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

seems it wouldn't be too bad in germany...unlike the us, they already register with the state to own a firearm, this would just centralize the recordkeeping. seems like the way to go in my opinion.

I think the idea is that the wannabe nazis & Bader meinhofs won't register their guns, but the normal human beings will, so when it comes to confiscation and/or targeting time, the law abiders will be left least able to defend themselves, while the bad guys keep their weapons securely cached.

For what should I worry? As a happy legal weapon owner, I do not fear anything.

As long as one follows the rules given ....

6.5 million Jewish people who formerly resided in Germany or German occupied territories would disagree if they were still alive.

"Germany's Federal Administration Office is charged with maintaining the registry, which is designed to be quickly available to authorities. The goal is to make it easier to determine whether or not weapons are legally possessed, and to help officials with risk analysis when emergencies come up."

This is probably the line to focus on. Sounds like Katrina planning.

To be fair, that IS how the citizens of Greece appear to feel about it.

But if you don't like my comment, there are plenty of other off-color German historical jabs in this thread you can enjoy.

:P

You just parrot w/o knowing details. Germany did not dug the whole in which Greece just fell.

Well, I know it's a quite long distance overseas to the US but, even over that distance you should be informed about today's political situations, even it's on this side of the pond.

Just to parrot slogans is (again) poor. There should be better arguments on the topic.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I would think that I am, which is why I commented on it.

While I do realize Germany did not put Greece into the predicament they are in, Greece is very understandably reserved about Germany bailing them out while taking over the government there to make sure they "behave".

6.5 million Jewish people who formerly resided in Germany or German occupied territories would disagree if they were still alive.

Yes, and in the United States of Bigotry, Negroes had to ride in the back of the bus until, when? 1965? Whatever your problem with the Nazis was, racism wasn't it.

Whatever your problem with the Nazis was, racism wasn't it.

You're not serious

right?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln