maxmadmax

Couple lives in fear after their address tweeted as George Zimmerman's

Seems that Spike Lee is guilty of not fact checking according to this story and his tweets.

But due to the double standard, nothing will happen and he will not be held accountable.

Where are Jesse and Really Big Al when this is happening?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/28/10902897-couple-lives-in-fear-after-their-address-tweeted-as-george-zimmermans

Don't go away mad....just go away!

>Where are Jesse and Really Big Al when this is happening?

============================
Rev. Jesse Jackson Denounces New Black Panther Bounty On George Zimmerman
by Tommy Christopher
4:43 pm, March 26th, 2012

. . .Rev. Jesse Jackson, who has been among the leaders of protests over Trayvon’s killing, denounced the group’s distribution of “Wanted: Dead or Alive” leaflets for, and issuance of a $10,000 bounty for the capture of, Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman.

As anger surrounding the killing has risen, spurring rallies and protests, leaders like Rev. Jackson and Rev. Al Sharpton have made a point of urging Trayvon’s supporters to channel their frustration nonviolently. In an interview with a local Orlando Fox affiliate, Rev. Jackson was asked, directly, about the New Black Panthers’ actions.
=================================

Remember the Jones guy that was going to burn the Koran and the DOJ sent down a few FBI agents to talk to the guy.

Won't ever happen in this case.

I remember people being upset the FBI being involved. Free speech and all.

free speech doesn't apply when you incite violence. Just ask the prolifers who posted addresses of doctors.

>free speech doesn't apply when you incite violence.

It seems like only yesterday when the right wingers here were defending the Tea Party after this:

==============
Tom Perriello gas line 'intentionally cut'

By ANDY BARR | 3/25/10 4:54 PM EDT

A tea party activist incorrectly posted the address of Perriello’s brother on a local blog and encouraged readers to 'drop by' to express their anger.

The Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office and the FBI have concluded that a severed gas line outside of the house of Rep. Tom Perriello’s (D-Va.) brother was “an act of vandalism.”

In a joint statement released by the FBI and the marshal’s office on Thursday said that “investigators believe that this was a deliberate act of vandalism and that the supply hose was intentionally cut.”

“While there was no immediate threat to the residence and its occupants, investigators believe the leaking gas could have posed a danger had there been an ignition source nearby,” the statement read.

“Investigators collected physical evidence from the scene and have interviewed the victim and nearby residents.”

POLITICO reported on Monday that a tea party activist incorrectly posted the address of Perriello’s brother on a local blog – believing it to be the congressman’s home address – and encouraged readers to “drop by” to express their anger of Perriello’s vote in favor of the health care bill.

The cut gas line was discovered during the middle of the day on Tuesday by Perriello’s brother who returned home from his job as a teacher to check if anyone had visited the house.

The congressman’s brother and his wife have four children, all under the age of eight.
=============================

>free speech doesn't apply when you incite violence.

It seems like only yesterday when the right wingers here were defending the Tea Party after this:

well, if you can establish me as a right winger that supported this, you might have a point. Since you can't, you're making a feeble misdirection to justify that which cannot be justified.

And drop by is a bit less definitive that what is being openly encouraged, with a cash reward, in this situation.

Surely you don't expect any kind of moral or ethical consistency from right wingers.

That is not part of how they roll. They have very short memories and minimal knowlege of history in general. If it isn't in the USA, or didn't happen in the USA, it is of no consequence to them. Their world is a very small and terrifying place. They believe that unborn babies nmust be protected at all costs, while at the same time are totally opposed to anything that would help a child and it's family after delivery. They are the ones that spew about the sancitiy of marriage, while divorcing at higher rates than progressives.

They are nasty selfish people who have zero empathy for anyone who isn't just like them.

Nothing positive for society has ever come from conservative philosophy. The damge wrought on the USA by the practical application of their philosopies is totally invisble to them.

"Scared stupid" is an accurate description of their thinking processes.

the implication of your post is that you're just as ethically fucked up. There's only one answer to the cries for vigilante justice - these are criminal incites and they are not constitutionally protected expressions of free speech.

I think it's inappropriate in general to protect at people's homes, rather then their place of business. It's a very fine line between protected assembly and intimidation/violence.

can't really ignore the context of the bounty.

That's assuming the tweeting of the address was related to "collecting" on this bounty. I would buy that argument if the tweet was specifically directed to the the "organization" offering the bounty.

That's assuming the tweeting of the address was related to "collecting" on this bounty. I would buy that argument if the tweet was specifically directed to the the "organization" offering the bounty.

So he was just posting the address in case anybody wishing to send flowers and support to him couldn't find it?
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Bounty just fans the flames more.

"*Cocks gloc* RT @lilduval: They say this is George W. Zimmerman address. If u a killer fall thru 159 Edgewater Circle Sanford, Florida 32773"

"Ima get a group of niggas to KILL George Zimmerman ( the fat ass racist ass white man who killed Trayvon Martin ) ! He deserves to DIE !!!!—
Couldnt Care Less (@Simply_Reiona) March 24, 2012"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>well, if you can establish me as a right winger that supported this

I'm not claiming you did; you're one of the more levelheaded people in this debate IMO. I do find it interesting that some of the same people who, back then, minimized such antics are now condemning them. (For the record I think both cases indicate an irresponsible approach to the issue.)

free speech doesn't apply when you incite violence.

Tweeting an address is the same as inciting violence?

In this context? Of course it is, or at the very least (deliberately!) inciting vigilante intimidation against people who Lee thought was GZ's family. Those who say otherwise are either being obtuse or intellectually dishonest.

(And I'm one of those who finds GZ' story fishy, and the Sanford PD's [in]action to be questionable.)

In this context? Of course it is,

In that case, so would have been the burning of the Korans. One knew a violent reaction would occur. The violence would likely not have erupted in the US though, maybe that would have been the difference.

In both cases I think the actions are irresponsible. Do find it interesting that those who claimed free speech for the preacher burning korans now feel this should be addressed.

You're doing too much mental gymnastics to get the analogies to fit. I understand - analogies - i.e., comparisons to earlier caselaw - is what's indoctrinated up our wazoos in law school. And the longer I'm at it, the more I realize that over-use of analogies can sometimes dilute the analysis.

I'm looking at Spike Lee's act in and of itself, not comparatively. The dickhead preacher thing is for another thread. Here, there's little doubt in my mind that Lee hoped - intended - that people would go over to (what he thought was) George Zimmerman's house and exact a little street justice. It was inexcusable.

BTW, Lee's subsequent apology to (and apparent financial settlement with) his mis-identified victims leaves me cold. Even if that house had been where the real George Zimmerman was living, what Lee did was reprehensible and inexcusable.

Even if (hypothetically) GZ's critics are 100% right about him, he has not, as of this writing, either been charged or had a warrant issued for him - he is NOT a fugitive! Calling for the police or DA to arrest and charge him is one thing. But putting a "reward" out for his "citizen's arrest" is nothing more than a wrongful call for vigilante justice.

Even if (hypothetically) GZ's critics are 100% right about him, he has not, as of this writing, either been charged or had a warrant issued for him - he is NOT a fugitive! Calling for the police or DA to arrest and charge him is one thing. But putting a "reward" out for his "citizen's arrest" is nothing more than a wrongful call for vigilante justice.

Completely agree.