Gravitymaster

Will Obamacare be Ruled to be Constitutional?

That's a really lame argument.

The USA can do what Germany, France, UK... do. To say otherwise is insulting.

No thanks, I'd rather keep the higher cancer survival rates, higher ICU availability, higher advanced diagnostic ability and lower waiting periods.

And lower life expectancies, higher infant mortality...

Both due to personal choices rather than the medical community...but you knew that before you threw that red herring out there.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Both due to personal choices rather than the medical community...

If our personal choices dictate our survivability, then surely those high survival rates you tout have nothing do with our medical community either.

personal choices don't cure cancer.

shorter wait times, better diagnostics do.

No thanks, I'd rather keep the higher cancer survival rates, higher ICU availability, higher advanced diagnostic ability and lower waiting periods.

Both due to personal choices rather than the medical community...but you knew that before you threw that red herring out there.

As usual, you confuse HEALTHcare with MEDICALcare.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If our personal choices dictate our survivability, then surely those high survival rates you tout have nothing do with our medical community either.

Not exercising and eating crap food is a personal choice and has nothing to do with medical care. Having a baby at 13 years old while taking drugs is a personal choice and has nothing to do with medical care.

But you already knew that.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

As usual, you confuse personal lifestyle choices with medical care.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The confusion, quite deliberate I'm sure, is all yours.

I see something very interesting. Solicitor General Donald Virelli made a comment that I predicted.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/supreme-court-justices-challenge-obama-administration-over-health-170042500.html

According to the article, "Chief Justice John Roberts asked Verrilli whether Washington could compel cellphone purchases. Justice Samuel Alito wondered whether it could force Americans to buy insurance to pay for funeral costs." Virelli responded:

"I think it's completely different," said Verrilli, arguing that when it comes to health care, those who don't buy it and get sick can get emergency room care, an expensive option effectively subsidized by their insurance-buying fellow citizens.

Why do people go to the emergency room? Because of EMTALA, which was passed in 1986. I wrote about it here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/supreme-court-justices-challenge-obama-administration-over-health-170042500.html

Basically, the reason why the need for socialized healthcare exists, says the Solicitor General, is because too many people are getting a free ride. Of course, this free ride has only existed for 25 years! Congress mandated that ERs treat everyone without regard to ability to pay. Therefore, people go into ERs for free care.

The government's solution is not to repeal EMTALA. The government's solution is to force all people to buy a private product. the road to socialized healthcare is paved with creating lousy policies that the government must then fix.

I've perused quite a few amicus briefs and EMTALA isn't even mentioned. I'm wondering if I'm the only person thinking of this.

Right, what we need is Boehnercare: "Can't pay, then go away and die".

Ah yes, the old Lib attack. You assume that if I don't have insurance I am powerless to do anything about that. FAIL
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

personal choices don't cure cancer.

shorter wait times, better diagnostics do.

Personal choices help prevent cancer.
And diabetes.
And cardiovascular conditions.
And the various comorbities associated with them.

Diagnostics help, too. But the diagnostics are not providing bang for the buck. So a government task force six months ago stated that PSA testing is ineffective and harmful. right around the same time, the government announced that mammograms are ineffective and dangerous.

Hmmm. The individuals it helps sure find it effective. But, gosh, too much money is spent on tests to make it worthwhile. So says the government.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

no, doubt, prevention would be best. And that's where you see the advantages in the metrics for other numbers. But once you get cancer, personal choices become less important than the medical system. The US system is great at fixing acute issues. Lousy at chronic ones, or in prevention, which requires cooperation from the people.

to fix the participation problem would require some rather substantial intrusion into people's lives.

>personal choices don't cure cancer.

Nor does it save the lives of premature babies - but NICU's do.

On the other hand, smoking does cause cancer, and doing drugs can lead to premature deliveries.

In both cases there are elements of personal choice. You can't discard either personal choice OR availability of medical care when looking at overall death rates and survival times.

Since you STILL can't make a convincing argument to prove your claim, looks like you're talking about yourself with that statement.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not true. Personal choices can have quite a bit to do with the recovery of a patient, cancer or not. There was a study not too long ago where they followed people who had serious cardiac events and their doctors flat out told them, "Change your lifestyle and live, or stay the same and die," and they found that something obscene like 95% did not change.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Not true. Personal choices can have quite a bit to do with the recovery of a patient, cancer or not. There was a study not too long ago where they followed people who had serious cardiac events and their doctors flat out told them, "Change your lifestyle and live, or stay the same and die," and they found that something obscene like 95% did not change.

That's less about surviving the immediate event and more about avoiding the next one. And cardiac is very different from cancer. The cause/effect are much more direct than the combination of real factors and bad luck that cause cancer. Overeating of "bad" foods leads to plaque in the arteries (smoking will worsen this) and then the blockages.

An uncle of mine was part of that 5% that did change. Walked an hour every day and ate halibut most nights for 20+ years and counting.

Cancer is similar, but I hadn't a study as powerful as the cardiac one in mind. You can change your lifestyle after a cancer dx to help your chances of beating it (diet and exercise are easy ones that help boost your immune system). Obviously not all cancers will be beaten this way, but most people (85% ish) survive a cancer dx.

Anyway, in the immediate, "need help now!" yes, medical quality and availability is more important, but personal choices after any dx still play a huge role in the success of treatment and to ignore it is folly, imho
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

It just may well happen if we lose a lot of disposable income due to the considerable increase of taxes. Those countries rely on us heavily to buy their goods.

If all Americans die and the USA vaporizes, it'll be a rough decade, and after that it'll be business as usual. Please don't overestimate your role in the world, you're replaceable.

No, not all of them. But there are two homeless guys in Fresno who do. One guy had 710 ambulance rides in 2011. Yes, you read that correctly - more than twice a day. Another guy had 653 in 2011.

More than 1,300 ambulance rides for two homeless men in 1 year - it was almost 2% of all ambulance calls in Fresno in 2011. So not everybody does it.

But the system is set up for this abuse. The ambulances cannot turn them away. Once they are at the ER they have to be examined. There is simply no way around it. And these two clowns cost hundreds of thousands last year.

Makes you wonder if a better social network would prevent some of this abuse from taking place.

Since you STILL can't make a convincing argument to prove your claim, looks like you're talking about yourself with that statement.

So you really do believe that HEALTHcare is the same as MEDICAL care.

Sorry, but I can't argue with your willful ignorance.

[Reply]They can always turn to Universal Health Care which is 100% constitutional.

Indeed. There are problems with that approach:
(1) Funding it. Gotta raise a shitload of taxes. Can't win elections by doing that

Many countries with universal health care spend less per capita to cover everyone than we do Medicare which only coger the oldest and least profitable for private insurance companies.

(3) From whom will campaign contributions come? Oh yeah - unions. A whole new market of government employees to unionize. Makes me wonder why it didn't happen.

There's the rub. Unions have multiple issues and will spend less than the private insurance companies that stand to see significant profit drops under a universal care plan that doesn't involve them.

So you really do believe that HEALTHcare is the same as MEDICAL care.

Sorry, but I can't argue with your willful ignorance.

Willful ignorance? Must be speaking to your own posts again, since you believe that personal choices reflect on healthcare or medical care.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You mean like the rooms in drug and alcohol treatment (hot meals, etc) that the city and county both offered both of them that refused by both because it would be so many orders of magnitude cheaper?

I'm afraid that it's been tried. The lack of support isn't an issue. These guys don't want that assistance. Just the free rides.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And you are correct - I'm not focusing on whether the system is working. I'm focusing on the inequities, Constitutionality, abrogations of freedoms, and long-term inefficiency of a system that forces the healthy to provide spending money for the ill. Truly these are thought exercises.

Haha lawrocket. I think we’l agree here. The economic (and functionality) side of the system is what I focus on. Pragmatism is important. If it doesn’t work in real-life then what’s the point?

e.g: War conscription ordered is probably an intrusion of personal freedom, but it is “legal” because there are extraordinary cases where pragmatism has to be taken into account.

we heard the same thing from Bush and Cheney about the Patriot Act, justifying what they were doing and minimizing the loss of freedoms as just lefty spin from people who want to see American destroyed and our citizens killed.

This is unrelated with the healthcare issue, but I do support Bush’s Patriot Act. Based on what has been released, it did show some real result in capturing key figures. It probably does impede personal freedom, but it is absolutely naive to think that it didn’t do good and/or Al Qaeda wasn’t planning anything.

It has however been abused by some people for “other non-terrorism” purposes.

I support Reagan’s action in his 1980s and did a spectacular job on the Soviet Union. Jimmy Carter is rightfully criticized for his non-intervention in the Middle East which led to the USSR Afghanistan invasion.

And even if Reagan’s supply-side economics in the 1980s on stagflation was the right one, the stimulus for 2008-2009 was the right action because it was a zero-bound economic crisis (not stagflation).

Frankly, I couldn’t care less about political affiliation as long as there are real (pragmatic) evidences to it.

Note: it never works in argument to tell someone "you need to understand." It can't't be done without speaking down to people. And often times we DO understand exactly what we you are saying. I understand why it was done. It comes off as condescending.

1) When I keep reading your paragraphs, it’s pretty clear that you don’t understand it. You keep saying “it is about the cost shifting hands” when it’s about the overall cost/expenditure AND the quality AND accessibility.

2) Rest assure that I am not trying to be condescending, look down or whatever. The point for me to write and spend any time on this is to understand the other side of it and trying to figure out the rationality/evidences given.

3) I remember someone who said: “Arguing in the internet is like running in the special Olympics. Even if we win, we’re still retarded” ;). In other words, never take these arguments personally.

Anyway, the next paragraphs are about me emphasizing the economics-side of it again since that is the part where the main argument divides. Read if you like.

The ACA doesn't change this. The ACA shifts the cost of this system to people who aren't paying into it now. You understand that. You do!

One of the clear goals of ACA is to diminish healthcare cost based on the GDP. That is probably one of THE main points in creating the system in the first place. Going back to the 1990s with HilaryCare and Heritage (aka ObamaRomneyCare), their primary stated goal was to bring the cost to a “reasonable level”. When Bill Clinton criticized about the health care system in post-presidency, it was always about the cost...how even the most expensive Health Care in Europe cost 13-14% of its GDP while the U.S are paying 18%.

With all the talk about how Obamacare’s cost will explode (by people who are either arguing in bad faith or people who don’t bother to look at the CBO financial numbers on it), it almost became counter-intuitive to think Obamacare is going make it “efficient”.

And I absolutely get it when you say:

Just less expensive for those who use it most (think of the honeless guys who call ambulances twice a day.

Maybe you view it differently from me, but others bearing the cost encourages waste.

This makes perfect sense (it almost sounds common sense). However, when we look at real-life examples of different systems whether it is with Universal Health Care System or Massachussets RomneyCare, the cost caused by the “homeless guys” do not dwarf the cost savings of the overall system. You might think its “political bullshit” when they talk about the cost, but that is one of the main objective in creating a new system in the first place.

A Non-Profit Health Care Option proposed in Summer 2010 was quickly shot down- it doesn’t reduce the overall GDP % cost.

This is why I also keep asking: what are the alternatives if not for the Heritage/Obama/RomneyCare -or- Universal Health Care? And let’s be honest here: I don’t think there’s is anything else that was seriously proposed.

Hugs & Cheers :)Shc

It just may well happen if we lose a lot of disposable income due to the considerable increase of taxes. Those countries rely on us heavily to buy their goods.

If all Americans die and the USA vaporizes, it'll be a rough decade, and after that it'll be business as usual. Please don't overestimate your role in the world, you're replaceable.

If it makes you feel better believing that. But that doesn't mean anything. It's not even even empowerment. All countries are replaceable.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln