jclalor

Florida Teen Shot

I've been avoiding a lot of comment on this case recently. Part of it is that what little I'm seeing in this case is a veritable catering table of loose legal ethics. It's been a train wreck and I've tried to avert my eyes. But I'm disgusted by it.

Let's go back to Zimmerman's defense attorneys who withdrew from representation a while back. See, we lawyers usually have a thing about withdrawing from representation in that we have to avoid foreseeable prejudice to our clients. Hence, I've thus far managed to avoid calling a fucking press conference and griping about my client, calling them mentally ill, that I cannot reach them. The sort of stuff that provides fodder for the prosecution.

Then you have a special prosecutor holding a press conference. They ALSO have a duty not to prejudice a judicial proceeding. Hence, going on national television to announce the bringing of second degree murder charges. Think that prejudices the proceeding? THe jury pool?

Where did they get it right? Zimmerman contacted members of the judge's husband's law firm. They were also paid by CNN. What happened? The Judge recused herself. Quietly. The firm didn't speak up and hold a press release. Quietly. With dignity.

This whole thing is a cluster fuck. It's EXACTLY the reason why I don't like the idea of cameras in the courtroom. Just in this case you've got people more interested in playing to the cameras than in representing interests WITHOUT prejudicing things. In a courtroom, they'll be playing for the cameras, too. It adds an element that I don't think needs to be there and creates a circus environment when peoples' lives are at stake.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You are correct. The account is GZ was walking back to his truck and TM approached and assaulted him.

I am not convinced one way or another of who started the confrontation.

Anyhow, I have seen this same map used by some who use it to "prove" that Z was the aggressor and others who use it to "prove" that TM was the aggressor. Either way, they are using the same basic map of the incident, so I assume there is no dispute over where events took place.

(The "F" marks the spot where Trayvon was killed.)

Note that I did not say who started things either as I dont know

It is stated GZ was on his way back to his vehicle

And you are right, have not heard how close back to his vehicle he was when this all went down
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If the picture attached above is correct, he certainly didn't do a 180 and walk back to his vehicle.

If he was on his way back, it was after he continued looking or pursuing or following or something...

I get a kick out of you mind readers:D
Abraham Lincoln

You are correct. The account is GZ was walking back to his truck and TM approached and assaulted him.

I am not convinced one way or another of who started the confrontation.

Anyhow, I have seen this same map used by some who use it to "prove" that Z was the aggressor and others who use it to "prove" that TM was the aggressor. Either way, they are using the same basic map of the incident, so I assume there is no dispute over where events took place.

(The "F" marks the spot where Trayvon was killed.)

Just curios

Do you know who provided this map?
Abraham Lincoln

You also said

If he was on his way back, it was after he continued looking or pursuing or following or something...

Why didnt you go ahead and say profiling too?
Abraham Lincoln

Just curios

I believe I originally saw it in this New York Times article(?), but they have since updated the graphic:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/04/02/us/the-events-leading-to-the-shooting-of-trayvon-martin.html

Not sure if that's where it originated, but I've now seen it (or similar maps) in numerous places. Of course, I wasn't there, so I can't attest to its accuracy.

Just curios

I believe I originally saw it in this New York Times article(?), but they have since updated the graphic:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/04/02/us/the-events-leading-to-the-shooting-of-trayvon-martin.html

Not sure if that's where it originated, but I've now seen it (or similar maps) in numerous places. Of course, I wasn't there, so I can't attest to its accuracy.

I understand
Thanks

BTW wagist.com is in the image you provided

Take a look at that site (I think that was it. If not, refer back to your picture)
Abraham Lincoln

You also said

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, I included all that because I don't know what he was doing. That's why I included multiple options and even ended it with something as vague as "or something".

You also said

Right, I included all that because I don't know what he was doing. That's why I included multiple options and even ended it with something as vague as "or something".

None of them inocent

More like an insinuation

Again

IF he was on his way back

Then

it was after he continued looking or pursuing or following or something

Ya

what ever you say.....
Abraham Lincoln

BTW WASTIG.COM is in the image you provided

It was wagist.com, and I did look at it, though it's not the site I got the picture from.

I just did a search for "Trayvon Martin shooting map" or something like that and took one of the better images. But again, I've seen the same/similar map in lots of places, many of them using it to take Z's side and many of them using it to take TM's side.

It doesn't seem to prove much of anything to me, except that (if it's accurate), the shooting took place in the yard between the apartments and not by Z's vehicle.

It was wagist.com, and I did look at it, though it's not the site I got the picture from.

I just did a search for "Trayvon Martin shooting map" or something like that and took one of the better images. But again, I've seen the same/similar map in lots of places, many of them using it to take Z's side and many of them using it to take TM's side.

It doesn't seem to prove much of anything to me, except that (if it's accurate), the shooting took place in the yard between the apartments and not by Z's vehicle.

Didnt mean anything by the site listed. Just found it interesting

BTW

On my way home ABC radio news reported the approx 200 pages of evidence in this case have been released. Including the autopsy reports The shot was between 1 and 18 inches and TM had weed in his system. They are still going over call records and others stuff

More soon I am sure

Marc
Abraham Lincoln

Anyone who claims this was a racially motivated crime hasn't read enough about Mr. Zimmerman and his background..

???
You do realize that the racial shit storm was started well before Z background started coming out. So, since his background can't be the motivation, what else do you have?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

. . . and TM had weed in his system.

You know, one thing that has really bugged me in this case is that they did a toxicology on Martin but not on Zimmerman. It just seems like that would have been part of the investigation. I've certainly wondered whether Zimmerman was on anything (not implying he was), but I guess the police saw no reason to check.

If the picture attached above is correct, he certainly didn't do a 180 and walk back to his vehicle.

I get a kick out of you mind readers:D

Fiction writers deserve a note of wonderment, too.
:D:D

Here's the legend for the pic you posted from waginst.com

A – The Clubhouse for Retreat at Twin Lakes.
B – Community mailboxes.
C – Where George Zimmerman parked his truck.
D – Brandy Green’s Townhouse, where Trayvon was staying.
E – Zimmerman stopped and completed his 911 call for approximately eighty seconds.
F – The fight and shooting took place in this area.
G – Eyewitness “John’s” townhouse.

one thing that has really bugged me in this case is that they did a toxicology on Martin but not on Zimmerman

A dead person has a significantly lesser right to privacy than does a living person. hence we know far more about what Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Billy Mays were putting in themselves now than we did when they were alive.

But I'll restate my thoughts:
(1) TM was minding his own business
(2) GM was minting TM's business
(3) GM follows TM
(4) TM stands his ground using less-than-lethal force
(5) GM shoots him,

An attacker cannot provoke a response and then increase to deadly force. Not in my mind.

The point that seems to be lost in the "stand your ground" is that the initial aggressor cannot stand his. GM was the aggressor. TM stood his ground. GM shot him.

I have not heard or read a single fact that contradicts this. It's so simple that the neither the bigots going after Zimmerman nor the bigots going after TM nor the people in between have bothered to get their subjective passions out of it and look at it with reason and logic.

I don't care whether TM had THC in his system. It neither makes him more of a threat nor does it make him more aggressive. And GM couldn't have known this either. From the point of view of reason it makes ZERO difference. Period.

one thing that has really bugged me in this case is that they did a toxicology on Martin but not on Zimmerman

A dead person has a significantly lesser right to privacy than does a living person.

Yeah, but when you kill someone else (with a gun, with your vehicle, whatever) don't you lose a little bit of that right to privacy? It would seem important to his statement of what happened to know if he was stone cold sober or if he had a significant amount of any intoxicant in his system. (You can't always tell just by looking at or talking to someone, but still their judgment may be impaired.)

Though I agree the THC in TM's system is not very relevant. It's not like weed is known to induce violence. Plus, he wasn't carrying around a concealed weapon that he needed to be responsible for.

Yeah, but when you kill someone else (with a gun, with your vehicle, whatever) don't you lose a little bit of that right to privacy?

No. The only reason that right would be lost is if the defendant waives it by saying, "I was high and could not form the requisite intent to commit murder." Or, "I had a stroke, which is why I plowed into the schoolyard."

Murder, etc., usually doesn't have an "absence of intoxication" element. It's up to the defendant to bring it up, in which case the privacy right is waived.

But I'll restate my thoughts:
(1) TM was minding his own business
(2) GM was minting TM's business
(3) GM follows TM
(4) TM stands his ground using less-than-lethal force
(5) GM shoots him,

An attacker cannot provoke a response and then increase to deadly force. Not in my mind.

The point that seems to be lost in the "stand your ground" is that the initial aggressor cannot stand his. GM was the aggressor. TM stood his ground. GM shot him.

I have not heard or read a single fact that contradicts this.

Here's one:
You assume that Z was an attacker.
Wrong assumption, wouldn't you agree?
No, "follower" doesn't mean "attacker".

Here's another:
You assume that whatever force TM was using was non-lethal. You don't know that.

Here's another:
You said TM stood his ground. Not so. By all accounts, he approached. That's not standing your ground.
No confrontation would have happened had TM continued on his innocent way and not approached Z.

"....nor the people in between have bothered to get their subjective passions out of it and look at it with reason and logic."

Something about glass houses here......

Toxicology testing is a normal thing for dead people.
Not normal for live ones. Even if you are arrested, a toxicology test is not mandatory.