GeorgiaDon

2nd Amendment Limit Question

In District of Columbia v. Heller, the US Supreme Court found that the right to bear arms is an individual right, not connected to participation in a "well-organized militia". A while ago Mealtx posted a link to an analysis of the language of the amendment that seemed to me to convincingly demonstrate that as written the right is quite unrestricted. Yet when people speak of their 2nd amendment rights, they always speak in terms of guns. My question is this: considering the language of the 2nd amendment, why is a law-abiding US citizen (that is, with no felony convictions on their record) not permitted to keep weapons such as missiles, hand grenades, tanks (with appropriate ammunition), or even nuclear weapons? Isn't any prohibition on the ownership or sale of such items a violation of 2nd amendment rights? After all, the amendment talks about the right to "keep and bear arms", not just "keep and bear guns". If someone wants to hang around an airport runway and watch the commercial jets take off and land, and just happens to enjoy carrying a Stinger missile while doing so, why is that not permissible under the 2nd amendment? Why do they have to justify or explain their "hobby" to anyone?

While this question may seem to have a "trollish" nature, that really isn't my reason for asking. I am genuinely curious about whether or not people who are strong proponents of gun rights are willing to acknowledge any limitation to their 2nd amendment rights. If "public safety" is not ever acceptable as a reason to limit such rights, why can't a law abiding person hang around an airport with a Stinger missile? How far do such rights go, and if there is any limit then why does that limit exist and why is it not seen as an intolerable restriction on a fundamental right?

Don

My question is this: considering the language of the 2nd amendment, why is a law-abiding US citizen (that is, with no felony convictions on their record) not permitted to keep weapons such as missiles, hand grenades, tanks (with appropriate ammunition), or even nuclear weapons?

I think the letter of the law forbids prohibitions on such things and believe that if Bill Gates wants to buy himself an aircraft carrier with a fighter group he has the constitutional right to just like warship owning citizens of the founding fathers' times.

Also note that Article 1 section 8 of our Constitution allows Congress to grant letters of marque and reprisal which wouldn't mean much if such weapons were prohibited to our citizenry.

Because all the weapons you named are not used for defensive purposes.

Granted, but I don't see anything in the 2nd amendment constraining "arms" to defensive purposes only. Also, "defensive" is in the eye of the beholder. I see posts not infrequently along the lines of "the government should be afraid of the people, not the people afraid of the government", and to the effect that the purpose of the 2nd amendment is to limit the power of the government over the people. If that is true, the effect of the 2nd would be limited a lot by restricting "the people" to guns, whereas the "government" has access to the full range of modern weaponry.

Perhaps the 2nd amendment has been historically limited to defensive weapons only. But there are other historical interpretations (such as the attachment to "a well regulated militia") that have gone by the wayside in favor of the plain language (such as it is) of the amendment. Since the amendment does not mention any restriction to defensive weapons, how do you yourself interpret it? If a challenge was brought to court, how do you think they would rule?

[Note and disclaimer: I'm just curious about people's opinions. I personally think it would be a very bad idea to have people wandering around airports with Stinger missiles. I just wonder if that is where we are heading thanks to the very broad landuage of the 2nd amendment.]

Don

My question is this: considering the language of the 2nd amendment, why is a law-abiding US citizen (that is, with no felony convictions on their record) not permitted to keep weapons such as missiles, hand grenades, tanks (with appropriate ammunition), or even nuclear weapons?

I think the letter of the law forbids prohibitions on such things and believe that if Bill Gates wants to buy himself an aircraft carrier with a fighter group he has the constitutional right to just like warship owning citizens of the founding fathers' times.

Also note that Article 1 section 8 of our Constitution allows Congress to grant letters of marque and reprisal which wouldn't mean much if such weapons were prohibited to our citizenry.

Thanks Drew. Just to be clear, are you saying that current law is that there are in fact no such prohibitions? That it is currently completely legal for me to buy a couple of Stinger missiles, and keep them in my home, and no-one will come and ask any pointed questions? Because I thought the situation was quite the opposite, but since I have never tried to do that (and in fact haven't any interest in doing that), maybe I thought wrong?

Don

Thanks Drew. Just to be clear, are you saying that current law is that there are in fact no such prohibitions? That it is currently completely legal for me to buy a couple of Stinger missiles, and keep them in my home, and no-one will come and ask any pointed questions? Because I thought the situation was quite the opposite, but since I have never tried to do that (and in fact haven't any interest in doing that), maybe I thought wrong?

Don

There's what the constitution says but on top of it you have congress writing unconstitutional new laws, the president signing them, and supreme court choosing not to rule on them or upholding the crap.

For instance under Federal law it's legal for you (assuming you're a law abiding citizen) to own a machine gun or cannon. In 1934 the government added a $200 ($3200 in current dollars) transfer and making tax to machine guns and large bore firearms (with exceptions for sporting shotguns) and that tax wasn't found to be unconstitutional. In 1986 new machine guns couldn't be sold to civillians although existing units remain available for sale; so a $1000 gun can be $10,000 or $15,000.

Surface to air missiles are specifically prohibited by TITLE 18, PART I, CHAPTER 113B, § 2332g.

The 2nd Amendment was written with the idea of allowing the people a way of "defending" themselves against foreign invaders or "defending" themselves against a repressive government.

OK. So is it currently practiced law that any citizen (as long as they aren't convicted felons or have been found to be insane by appropriate legal proceedings) can obtain, keep, and bear all the same arms as the US government can? If not, do you think, considering the language and intent of the 2nd amendment, that such citizens should be able to obtain, keep, and bear such arms?

Don

I has a lot to do with rights being subject to reasonability. Look at it this way – the Second Amendment has been around for a couple hundred years and just now the SCOTUS got around to saying it’s an individual right. Hence, all of the stuff that has been going on beforehand was chipping away at an individual right that was never found to be an individual right.

The Heller challenge was a good choice. In Heller, they took Chicago’s rule that banned guns outright in its effect. Completely and totally. In doing so, Alan Gura could avoid the arguments regarding what reasonable regulations are. There’s no way that a court is going to think that possession of tactical nukes is protected under the Second Amendment. The Heller case was chosen because of its absolute ban.

In the coming years/decades, it will be determined what sort of regulation is acceptable. It is acceptable to ban a gun on the basis of its color, for example? What are the limits to ammunition, i.e., may Congress or States ban Blammo Ammo? Armor piercing rounds? Frangibles? I can see regulations out there banning frangible ammunition because law enforcement could have trouble identifying it, running ballistics, etc.

What about other improvised weapons? When I was spending a lot of time in Downtown Los Angeles and its outskirts I would carry a claw hammer in my trunk to carry to an ATM (nobody fucked with me, that’s for sure). Would that be acceptable?

It will come down to creations of tests to determine what laws are acceptable. What will be the legal standard for gun laws? Will they be reviewed under a “rational basis” test?

The future is tomorrow and the period after. (Prove me wrong on this point. I dare you.)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I has a lot to do with rights being subject to reasonability. Look at it this way – the Second Amendment has been around for a couple hundred years and just now the SCOTUS got around to saying it’s an individual right. Hence, all of the stuff that has been going on beforehand was chipping away at an individual right that was never found to be an individual right.

Yep. That's why the question is interesting, I think. Since the phrase about "a well-regulated militia" has been essentially discarded, we are left with a right to "keep and bear arms" that applies to individuals and is not restricted by any stated definition of what is meant by "arms". If the court goes to "original intent" and concludes that that intent included the ability of the "people" to resist an oppressive government, is there anything in the language of the amendment to deny to the people arms that are available to the government?

The Heller challenge was a good choice. In Heller, they took Chicago’s rule that banned guns outright in its effect. Completely and totally. In doing so, Alan Gura could avoid the arguments regarding what reasonable regulations are. ...The Heller case was chosen because of its absolute ban.

Agreed.

In the coming years/decades, it will be determined what sort of regulation is acceptable. It is acceptable to ban a gun on the basis of its color, for example? What are the limits to ammunition, i.e., may Congress or States ban Blammo Ammo? Armor piercing rounds? Frangibles? I can see regulations out there banning frangible ammunition because law enforcement could have trouble identifying it, running ballistics, etc.

There’s no way that a court is going to think that possession of tactical nukes is protected under the Second Amendment.

It will come down to creations of tests to determine what laws are acceptable. What will be the legal standard for gun laws? Will they be reviewed under a “rational basis” test?

Well sure, the courts will come up with tests, and all we can say for sure is some people will complain that they are unconstitutionally restrictive, and others will complain they are too permissive.

What I am curious about is where people think the line should be drawn, and why. I'm just motivated by curiosity, I don't expect anyone to forecast the future and I'm not interested in any sort of silly "gotcha" games. In particular, I'm curious where those people who consistently and strongly defend gun rights fall on the question of what arms should be permitted? If the 2nd trumps the state's interest in public safety with regard to guns, does it also trump public safety regarding Stinger missiles? If the public should not be allowed to keep and bear missiles, how can that be justified?

Lawrocket, in other threads you have eloquently argued against prior restraint on free speech. Let people say what they will, and then accept the consequences of that speech. In general, the right to speak freely has benefited society, as ideas can be sifted and ultimately accepted or rejected. But, free speech is a fundamental right that doesn't have to be justified by the potential usefulness of the ideas that are expressed. Speech can be limited only in very limited cases where great harm to the country would result.

If we take this as a model for the 2nd amendment, maybe tactical nukes could be banned because there is no way to use them without causing widespread collateral damage. But, is it "reasonable" to ban a weapon because it could be used to kill a few hundred people (say, by taking out a plane)? How about 20 or 30 people? Conventional firearms can, and have been used to do that. Should potential body count even be part of the discussion? What do people think is "reasonable"?

The future is tomorrow and the period after.

You've got me there.

Don

The 2nd Amendment was written with the idea of allowing the people a way of "defending" themselves against foreign invaders or "defending" themselves against a repressive government.

well, that doesn't fully answer his question. Stinger missiles worked great for the Afghans defending themselves against the Soviet attack choppers.

I thought the Miller decision talked about a standard of being suitable for infantry use. Miller had a sawed off shotgun. A concluding element was that Miller was entitled to a new trial to argue that said shotgun would have military application (it certainly would), but he was dead by then.

Tactical nukes are hard even for the military forces to justify - the same problems seen with chemical weapons and biological agents or landmines.

Isn't it legal to own a tank? Driving it on public roads is a different matter. The mass of the vehicle is terrible for the road and then there are the other requirements (size, signals, etc) needed for safe interaction.

But, free speech is a fundamental right that doesn't have to be justified by the potential usefulness of the ideas that are expressed. Speech can be limited only in very limited cases where great harm to the country would result.

If we take this as a model for the 2nd amendment, maybe tactical nukes could be banned because there is no way to use them without causing widespread collateral damage. But, is it "reasonable" to ban a weapon because it could be used to kill a few hundred people (say, by taking out a plane)? How about 20 or 30 people?

Indeed. And this is why there may be considered to be a different test. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but claymore will do more. Because of the potential harm I can see restraints on bearing arms being easier to uphold.

Guns are different. I can see some mimicking of tests from the speech. Or from racial issues.

One thing that I can see is that there may be a serious challenge to the Slaughterhouse Cases, in which the SCOTUS found (in the Reconstruction Era) that the Privileges and Immunities Clause applied to all states US Citizens, but not conferring the Privileges and Immunities of the citizens of one state to another. In McDonald v. Chicago, Justice Thomas was the only member of the SCOTUS to argue that the Slaghterhouse cases should be overturned.

Note - there isn't a legal scholar out there who doesn't think that Slaughterhouse Cases were good law, and only Lochner is more derided in legal circles.

It's kinda exciting from a legal standpoint. What are they going to do with it?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Because missiles, tanks and nukes are not personal arms.

My copy of the constitution must be faulty. It doesn't have the word "personal" between the words "bear" and "arms". I'll contact the printer immediately.

- Dan G

My copy of the constitution must be faulty. It doesn't have the word "personal" between the words "bear" and "arms". I'll contact the printer immediately.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

Note the mention of "gun" vs. cannon. The document isn't faulty, just your comprehension/interpretation of it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Note the mention of "gun" vs. cannon. The document isn't faulty, just your comprehension/interpretation of it.

Your Jeferson quote has absolutely nothig to do with the 2nd Amendment.

Who's to decide what a "personal" weapon is or isn't? If the framers wanted that restriction in place, why didn't they say so? The language is quite plain, "the right to bear arms." Why are you trying to restrict that right? Why are your restrictions okay, but you'll rail all day about kallend's?

- Dan G

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

Well, dragging around a cannon would certainly make for a "strong body". Anyway, a personal letter from Jefferson to a correspondent, expressing his personal preference for the shooting sports over other forms of sport, hardly constitutes a binding constraint on the 2nd amendment. Since you brought up the issue of the cannon, it does seem that at the time the amendment was written a distinction could have been drawn between so-called "personal" arms and arms that would have been available to militias (such as cannons). Had the writers intended to limit the 2nd to arms that could be carried by an individual, wouldn't they have said so? I can see the tin-foil-hat brigade making an argument that they need SAM missiles to protect themselves/their homes against the black helicopters and blue helmets [that would be UN troops for those not familiar with American paranoiacs]. As long as they have not been legally found to be "nutters", I can't see anything in the plain language of the 2nd that would deny them that right.

This is all just a mental exercise right now of course. Just curious about where things might go (and where people think they should go) with the 2nd as an individual right on par with free speach and freedom of religion.

Don

Your Jefferson quote has absolutely nothig to do with the 2nd Amendment.

It has plenty to do with the point of view of the framers of the document.

Who's to decide what a "personal" weapon is or isn't? If the framers wanted that restriction in place, why didn't they say so? The language is quite plain, "the right to bear arms."

From the Militia Act of 1792:
That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack.

Back to the books for you!

Why are you trying to restrict that right? Why are your restrictions okay, but you'll rail all day about kallend's?

Lame troll attempt is lame.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, dragging around a cannon would certainly make for a "strong body".

If you can carry ("bear") one, go for it! :P Mighty slow on the reload, though.

Anyway, a personal letter from Jefferson to a correspondent, expressing his personal preference for the shooting sports over other forms of sport, hardly constitutes a binding constraint on the 2nd amendment.

Agreed - it does show the mindset of the Founders, however.

Since you brought up the issue of the cannon, it does seem that at the time the amendment was written a distinction could have been drawn between so-called "personal" arms and arms that would have been available to militias (such as cannons).

An individual right would almost necessitate individual weapons vs. crewed weapons such as cannons, would it not?

Had the writers intended to limit the 2nd to arms that could be carried by an individual, wouldn't they have said so?

Why would they need to, if it was understood that an individual right necessitated individual weapons? Why would they need to, if it was understood that 'arms' meant individual arms suitable to be carried by infantry vs. artillery that would be served by a crew of gunners?

I can see the tin-foil-hat brigade making an argument that they need SAM missiles to protect themselves/their homes against the black helicopters and blue helmets [that would be UN troops for those not familiar with American paranoiacs]. As long as they have not been legally found to be "nutters", I can't see anything in the plain language of the 2nd that would deny them that right.

Why go to all the expense for a single use device? After all, didn't they say on the news that a .50 cal rifle could take down an airliner over a mile away? :P

This is all just a mental exercise right now of course. Just curious about where things might go (and where people think they should go) with the 2nd as an individual right on par with free speach and freedom of religion.

Don

My interpretation (and that of the Congressional Committee that reported on it) is that it is an individual right to own and carry a firearm.

From the Congressional report: "The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner."
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack.

Groovy. I guess we can ban your handguns now. I guess we can also ban a person from carrying more than 24 rounds at a time.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Groovy. I guess we can ban your handguns now. I guess we can also ban a person from carrying more than 24 rounds at a time.

Sure thing...right after we take away your computer and telephone and give you a quill and ink.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sure thing...right after we take away your computer and telephone and give you a quill and ink.

Somehow, I think I'd adapt.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver