Rstanley0312

Dad shoots daughters laptop to prove a point....

>I've done that to our cellphones. I once spent a few days blowing up lithium ion batteries. Drove nails through them, hit them with hammers, dropped them off the roof. Oddly, not only did HR not visit me, I got a good review (partly) as a result of that.
But that's irrational I guess.

I've also done that to old PC's of mine. I took one out to a dump and bashed it in with a sledgehammer and then set it on fire. Felt pretty good after all the time I wasted with it. And again, strangely, no HR departments called me.

Our rigger has played with expired cypres' and cutters and will fire them off just to see what the cutter can handle.

I really surprised that he hasn't been arrested. I'm just saying.

when I was a kid, we'd sometimes take overgrown produce (some produce just can't be eaten if you wait too long to harvest) and we'd use them for shooting practice - gosh, I hope they let me raise my daughter.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm hinting he's dressing up to a group he doesn't belong to and it shows. Lots bright people try to dress up as cowboys, or here in San Diego, bikers. It's obvious to everyone but them.

I sometimes wear a ball cap. But no one has yet to offer me any chewing tobacco.

I think that's a sign that society is maturing....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Our rigger has played with expired cypres' and cutters and will fire them off just to see
>what the cutter can handle. I really surprised that he hasn't been arrested.

You think that's bad - we used to fly the Cessna over the LZ at 500 feet and drop pumpkins to see who could come closer to the peas. Fortunately no children (or HR departments) saw us do that.

About ten years back the old Lufthansa training building across the street from the DZ was going to get torn down to widen the road, so the night before the demolition crew got there I threw rocks at the windows and broke a bunch. Always wanted to do that.

And this other time at band camp . . .

Oh please. He did it because it was dramatic. If he'd thrown it in a fire would that have been better? Or would that mean he's really an arsonist?

Assuming the video is of a real event and not staged for the benefit of YouTube -- it shows a person who is clearly upset to the point of irrational behavior. Not simply an irrational act in a singular moment, but something he had time to think about and post to YouTube. The guy had a lot of chances to step back and ask himself if it was the smartest way to blow several hundred dollars just to make a point. He had a couple more in the time it took him to upload and make the video public.

Here's my point; irrational anger and guns do not belong in the same location.

Don't shoot angry. If for no other reason, you make responsible gun owners look bad.

My take was that he was calm and pretty matter of fact about it. No yelling or wild gestures. No frothing at the mouth. I don't think shooting the laptop with a .45 was very dramatic. All it did was put some holes in it. Not much different than if he'd used a drill press. A shotgun would have been a better choice, but perhaps he didn't have one.

But YOU think he wasn't rational. I've had some one tell me that I wasn't rational and that my action were bound to hurt me and/or some one else. I told him to fuck off and I went to the drop zone and jumped out of airplane. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

when I was a kid, we'd sometimes take overgrown produce (some produce just can't be eaten if you wait too long to harvest) and we'd use them for shooting practice - gosh, I hope they let me raise my daughter.

Well, we'll let you raise your daughter, but it's obvious you can't be trusted around fruits and vegetables.

From now on, you are only allowed meat and potatoes....:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I guess, in the end, we can all be thankful that the girl didn't blow off doing her chores because she spent too much time playing with puppies.

I'm hinting he's dressing up to a group he doesn't belong to and it shows. Lots bright people try to dress up as cowboys, or here in San Diego, bikers. It's obvious to everyone but them.

I sometimes wear a ball cap. But no one has yet to offer me any chewing tobacco.

I think that's a sign that society is maturing....

No one offers their Copenhagen without asking. Maybe that Wintergreen Beechnut crap will be offered without asking. Maybe you are not wearing a John Deere hat or an International Harverster with a tightly folded bill.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Shoots it with a gun!?!?!?!?!?!

Where the hell is the C-4?????

Dad better step up!

How do you top C-4? :D
I was going to suggest a flame-thrower.

Chuck

Agh, so baked ..... that only works for Apple:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Dad better step up!

Chuck

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Many years ago I was staying with some friends over the Yule holidays.

The oldest son was pushing the limits as kids are wont to do, and his father yelled at him to the effect that he should stop doing that right now or there would be severe consequences. The parent then went back to cheerfully doing what he had been doing before.

I said "you are not actually angry?"

He responded, "nah, but it works better if he thinks I am. If I wait until I actually am angry, I am not in control."

Anger, whether "justified" or not, tends to turn very nice people into assholes. If, for instance, someone has done something to really piss me off, I do not tend to be particularly considerate of their feelings or rights if I give in to the emotion.

Angry people are also less concerned about the personal consequences of their actions, and will do things that cause themselves harm.

Since it is a common tactic to get someone angry enough that they are hoist with their own petard (think Paul Newman in Slap Shot), I get suspicious when someone seems to be trying to get my goat.

Kids will often do whatever it takes to get a rise out of their parents, and can have the process of pissing them off developed to a fine art. It is thus a good idea to try to stay one step ahead of them, and to keep them guessing.

The punch line to all this is that the guy in this video could have achieved his goal every bit as well without either wasting the computer or wasting ammunition ($1 a round for "hollow point exploding bullets?" Be real).

Getting a box that looks just like the computer in question is no big deal - if he works in IT, latching on to one slated for recycle is a piece of cake.

As far as the staging and destruction is concerned, he could have shown a bit more flair. Wearing an outfit obtained from the a costume store - a 1960s-era "computer technician" lab coat, for instance - would have provided more entertainment value for the YouTube audience.

He could have read the letter, stopping only to explain how it grieves him to have been such a bad person that his poor, underappreciated daughter had a life not worth living. A few theatrical sobs, wiping tears from his eyes would be a nice touch.

He could have then explained that he hoped to make it up to her in some small way by fixing her computer.

"Gosh, I hope all the software I loaded will somehow gain her forgiveness. I'm burning it in now."

"Oh no! I am as incompetent a computer technician as I am a Father!"

And so forth.

I somehow do not think this would be any less effective an approach than coming off as someone who, when angered, becomes destructive with firearms. "Stay away from that dumb sonofabitch. when he gets confused, he shoots things."

BSBD,

Winsor

I somehow do not think this would be any less effective an approach than coming off as someone who, when angered, becomes destructive with firearms. "Stay away from that dumb sonofabitch. when he gets confused, he shoots things."

On the other hand poppin' a few into an inanimate object...as you say ~ Keeps 'em guessing!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

On the other hand poppin' a few into an inanimate object...as you say ~ Keeps 'em guessing!

Yeah, I suppose.

Also, he could well have swapped out a dummy for the expensive unit and everyone could assume that he actually wasted her laptop.

Also, he could have been pretending to be all warped out of condition, and his outfit could have been selected for effect, in a different manner than I suggested.

I still think it would have been more entertaining if his approach had been "gee, there is something wrong with this computer if it puts stuff like this on the internet. Let's see what we can do to rectify that!"

"There, that problem has been resolved!"

BSBD,

Winsor

Dad better step up!

Chuck

Agh, so baked ..... that only works for Apple:P

I have a question... had he shot a box of Froot-Loops, would he be a 'cereal killer'? :)

Chuck

I have a question... had he shot a box of Froot-Loops, would he be a 'cereal killer'?

I think it'd be considered fratricide

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have a question... had he shot a box of Froot-Loops, would he be a 'cereal killer'? :)

Chuck

Dude if we ever meet, the first thing I'm gonna do is knee you in the nuts and sock you in the jaw for that one...:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Chuck

Dude if we ever meet, the first thing I'm gonna do is knee you in the nuts and sock you in the jaw for that one...:D

Bwa-hahahahahahahaha... I'll be here all week folks!

Chuck