jclalor

Romney ‘Not Concerned About the Very Poor’

I don't have a problem with that, taken in context. I think that it is a somewhat inept statement, but ineptitude isn't limited to him, or to politicians -- they just get the exposure. Any brouhaha created is blown out of proportion.

He's not concerned about the rich, because they have his back. He's not concerned about the very poor, since they have no power. He's concerned about those in the middle.
:D

Romney isn't successful; his daddy was, and his granddaddy even moreso.
Mitt has been groomed from birth by his family and religion to be the President; it's part of his LDS Patriarchal promise. He's inherited and been handed to.

If someone hands you a few million $$, is that personal success

Oh what horse shit. The only difference is the zero's after waht he made. If his father handed all of his money to him and he made not one penny or lost it - he's a loser. Romeny didn't do that and if you read just a little - just a bit - you could educate yourself to that level.

Love or hate the guy he has been very successful but that didn't happen because of his father or grandfather. He was educated by successful men perhaps but many are and aren't successful.

I just don't understand just making up shit to put someone down. READ his history. HATE his politcal positions if you want but re-writing history to fit what some notion of unfair advantage is bs.

Not re-writing history at all. I actually have met the man on multiple occasions, and through family business have been loosely around him for most of my life.

He inherited, used it as a platform, later donated, but already had the capital (and connections) to do other things.

Regardless of his personal wealth, he is without scruples, and isn't at all the self-made man people think he is. He's been played in to his position quite well, starting at age 12.

To suggest he didn't inherit $$, connections from his father (and grandfather) is far-fetched.

WOW. Really?? You know him? Let's see. You knew him at 12? Are did you just figure that out from hanging out with him?

I'm guessing that this business relationship you have with Romney (family business) you didn't start? Did you benifit from that? Why in the hell shouldn't Romeny???? My grandfather and father helped me...

But listen, with your inside knowledge why don't you really tell the world about his lack of scruples. Every news outlet would pay for you to tell a story. Of course you'll have to prove it.

No scruples. Maybe I don't know him personal like you....
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

thank goodness - I've been waiting on pins and needles for people to start Dowding clips from speeches out of context and having partisan cows based on strawman arguments - thus resulting in semantic pissing contests on Speaker's Corners with zero content or real discussion

it's about time

BTW - Did you all know that Obama is "so in love" with dildo shaped objects like microphones? Is this the kind of pervert we want in the White House? We can link the video if anyone wants it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But listen, with your inside knowledge why don't you really tell the world about his lack of scruples. Every news outlet would pay for you to tell a story. Of course you'll have to prove it.

I think the news outlets are doing just fine without my personal experience or opinions.

10 years ago, Romney insisted on a UHP officer being fired because the officer wouldn't back down when Romney wanted to drive up a snow-covered canyon at the Olympics.
The officer reported that Romney repeatedly used the word "fuck" as in "Do you know who the fuck I am?"

When the story came out, Romney denied the use of the word, saying (paraphrased) "I've never used a word worse than H E double hockey sticks in my life."

He maintained that position until Robert Flowers asked him at the officer's hearing "Would you like to hear the recording, sir?"

Romney withdrew the charges. The story is out there, I'm too lazy to search it down for you. I expect it will re-surface as the election draws closer.

No, I don't know him like a bowling buddy and don't claim to. My most recent personal interaction with him was 10 years ago.

I wasn't alive when Mitt Romney was 12.
Read Romney's bio. In it, his father speaks of "knowing Mitt was going to be president when Mitt was 12."

Read his books, and Romney's story of how Bill Bain hired Romney. Then read the Vanity Fair quotes from Bill Bain. It's a very interesting read. Go from there to Romney's claim of how he "funded Staples" when in truth, he was opposed to the investment. "The most thorough analysis of Romney’s performance comes from a private solicitation for investment in Bain Capital’s funds written by the Wall Street firm Deutsche Bank. The company examined 68 major deals that had taken place on Romney’s watch. Of those, Bain had lost money or broken even on 33. "

Honestly, I don't care that he's the person I believe him to be. I don't even care about his business acumen.

I do believe Americans should be more concerned with his ecclesiastical background. I could not vote for him on this foundation alone.

Take aside his four-faced persona, he either is a devout Mormon or he isn't. He claims to be. He makes all appearances to be. His family is very highly placed in LDS positions, and his cousin was the president of the LDS church. He was a church leader in his community, later at the stake, and eventually regional level.

"Some of the leading men in Kirtland were much opposed to Joseph the Prophet, meddling with temporal affairs... In a public meeting of the Saints, I said, 'Ye Elders of Israel, ... will some of you draw the line of demarcation, between the spiritual and temporal in the Kingdom of God, so that I may understand it?' Not one of them could do it..." (Brigham Young)

"I defy any man on earth to point out the path a Prophet of God should walk in, or point out his duty, and just how far he must go, in dictating temporal or spiritual things. Temporal and spiritual things are inseparably connected, and ever will be." (George Romney, quoting Brigham Young).

If Romney is devout as he claims to be, shouldn't America be concerned about a man who takes his commands from God, and has sworn in the LDS Temple to always suborn himself to the commands of the Prophet of the LDS church? Are Republicans actually voting for Thomas S Monson (who probably would be a significantly better POTUS)?

Romney will win the republican chick vote though. He's got better hair than any of the others.:D

Having said all that, thank you for reminding me of why Speakers Corner is not a place for me. This election is one of those rare times that politics, religion, and personal experiences cross paths.

I think the news outlets are doing just fine without my personal experience or opinions.

Bla, bla bla...they're all your boring opinions...

I couldn't get passed the third paragraph...save your personal experiences for religion class, eh?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Ah yes, ignorance is a funny thing. The reason why pathetic decisions are made are because of people who think it somehow makes sense to read half way through something, see it is not what they want to read and draw a conclusion based on what they actually want to believe.

Though I expect nothing less in this case, history repeats itself.

It's so cute when people have hardons for politicians and refuse to see them for the flawed hypocrites they are. And that goes for both political parties followers.

It's so cute when people have hardons for politicians and refuse to see them for the flawed hypocrites they are.

Meh...I was simply bored.

If you've noticed, I use the election like I use Sunday football...to make money.

I'm not liberal, I'm not conservative....check my stats.;)

:D

"I defy any man on earth to point out the path a Prophet of God should walk in, or point out his duty, and just how far he must go, in dictating temporal or spiritual things. Temporal and spiritual things are inseparably connected, and ever will be." (George Romney, quoting Brigham Young).

If Romney is devout as he claims to be, shouldn't America be concerned about a man who takes his commands from God, and has sworn in the LDS Temple to always suborn himself to the commands of the Prophet of the LDS church? Are Republicans actually voting for Thomas S Monson (who probably would be a significantly better POTUS)?

I'm open-minded to what you have to say about Romney as a person. But I'm concerned that the above remarks apply a double standard toward devout Mormons that is not applied toward others, especially toward devout Christians. One can nitpick the theological fine points distinguishing one religion from another (as in: let's not), but the US has quite a history of praising and advancing candidates, officials, businessmen, etc. who proclaim, for example, to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and govern their affairs according to the Bible.

On another angle, I can tell you that the alarm you raise about Romney's connection with his religion is not really all too different, in either substance or flavor, from the sort of alarms raised by Protestants (especially in the Bible Belt) to Jack Kennedy's Catholicism when he was a candidate in 1960: that he would take his orders from the Pope, etc., etc.

In many places in the US, it's practically impossible to get elected dogcatcher if you DON'T say you're a devout Christian. And yet if you're, say, a devout Mormon, or a devout Muslim, you pretty much have to STFU if you know what's good for you. That's a double standard I just can't abide.

Obviously I'm no Mormon...I've attended to a blind woman in California for a couple of years who was an LDS member...she said it was horrible. But I have to ad-MIT, I like the "I'm a Mormon" commercials...

http://www.youtube.com/user/MormonMessages?v=thSVkMxZqZU&feature=pyv&ad=7806730830&kw=mormon%20videos

You go Alex Boye!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnn04lykQg&feature=fvst

I think the liberals are scared...

If Romney gets the Nomi...we might be talking even odds...:D

Edit:
Excuse me...I picked up alot of influence hangin' out in Mexican Village growing up in Detroit in combination with my stay in San Padre, Ca...I actually got pulled over for blasting Latin music too loud outta my Monte...:D

They let me go, of course...;)

Btw, Andy...let's not make this about religion so much... We all know perfectly well that in this country almost any popular actor can get voted into office...afterall, media is what drives this county's econnomy...they are the Queens and Kings of the world...pathetic, I know.:D

I've known for years...this cuntry is fugged.:P

I'm not concerned about my car...it has a great anti theft protection system and is locked away in a garage with it's own alarm system.

I'm not concerned about my child's next meal...The fridge is full of food.

It sounds like you don't consider your car or pantry to be particularly vulnerable, so why would you be concerned about them? Now if your car was struggling to start, constantly burning blue smoke, and your next meal was top ramen, maybe you'd be a bit more concerned.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Or are you commenting on he saw a poll that is making him push for the middle class?

No, I'm commenting on him changing his mind.

Jan 13: "If you've been out of work for a long period of time, you know these numbers are not just statistics. These numbers are real people, and real suffering. . . I'm concerned about the poor in this country. We have to make sure the safety net is strong and able to help those who can't help themselves."

Feb 1: "“I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there."

It's very simple:

concerned
adjective
1. interested or affected
2. troubled or anxious
3. having a connection or involvement; participating

One can show an interest in someone without being troubled or anxious about them.

Who said anyting about be anxious or troubled? In January he said he was concerned, that we had to bolster the safety net, and two weeks later he said he wasn't concerned, the safety net is fine. What amazing changes happened in those two weeks to cause him to be less "interested"?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm not concerned about my car...it has a great anti theft protection system and is locked away in a garage with it's own alarm system.

I'm not concerned about my child's next meal...The fridge is full of food.

It sounds like you don't consider your car or pantry to be particularly vulnerable, so why would you be concerned about them? Now if your car was struggling to start, constantly burning blue smoke, and your next meal was top ramen, maybe you'd be a bit more concerned.

Blues,
Dave

I'd be a bit more concerned about poor people too, but they're taken care of...We have the most prosperous and well fed vagrants in the world.

...and btw, I still eat top ramen - chili flavor.

>In January he said he was concerned, that we had to bolster the safety net, and two
>weeks later he said he wasn't concerned, the safety net is fine.

That's "just semantics."

Now, had a Democrat said something like that, Turtle would describe it as "lies lies and more lies." But since he's a Republican it's just a minor irrelevant semantics issue.

I mean, what do you expect from Republicans?

>In January he said he was concerned, that we had to bolster the safety net, and two
>weeks later he said he wasn't concerned, the safety net is fine.

That's "just semantics."

Literally lol - I can honestly say that I haven't previously seen the "pshaw, semantics" argument used for completely opposite statements. "Yes...No...same same" :D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

here's another word you might wanna look up....

Obtuse...O-B-T-U-S-E...Obtuse.

Didn't you just say

I'm done with the whole semantics issue...you guys have fun, m'kay?

Or was that just "semantics" too? :D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)