wayneflorida

British tourists barred from US because of twitter jokes.

Be carefull what you say or do because the Big Sis is taking names and kicking ass.

Watch out for those sennnsiiiitivve words.

^*@$ them, I will still use BS/BD.

Lock me up with the blonde.:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093796/British-tourists-arrested-America-terror-charges-Twitter-jokes.html

Probably because some folks just don't "get" British humour.

Be carefull what you say or do because the Big Sis is taking names and kicking ass.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093796/British-tourists-arrested-America-terror-charges-Twitter-jokes.html

Interesting.

Curious about one thing, though--why does the article (and this thread) call them British whereas the attached document refers to them as Irish?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Interesting.

Curious about one thing, though--why does the article (and this thread) call them British whereas the attached document refers to them as Irish?

you own this thread....

This all would be amusing in a rather pathetic way, if in fact the negative impact on innocent visitors wasn't so disruptive.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Knox+marijuana+resin+conviction+grounds+border/6009683/story.html

Sigh; don't take it to heart. Isolationism remains an American tradition. Ironic, given our immigrant heritage, but old habits die hard.

See? A couple twitter comments and we can declare them to be "Nutters"

it's so simple....:o

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This all would be amusing in a rather pathetic way, if in fact the negative impact on innocent visitors wasn't so disruptive.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Knox+marijuana+resin+conviction+grounds+border/6009683/story.html

Sigh; don't take it to heart. Isolationism remains an American tradition. Ironic, given our immigrant heritage, but old habits die hard.

Canada routinely denies entry to those with a DUI in their past, even if decades ago. Not sure that's any more uptight than blocking this guy for his mildly colorful past. The difference is that there are fewer flights that use Canada as a intermediary step (some via Vancouver).

Question.... Just how did the US authorities find out about a tweet, from a foreigner, in a foreign land? ...anyone?

Someone have an ax to grind w/the couple and "ratted" them out to f'up their vacation? Or is the 'tin foil' crowd more right than wrong?
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Pretty sure the CIA is monitoring most of the communications sites, looking for lines like "destroy america' and the like. Whoa...here they come now!

I guess if they were looking for certain phrases, that one would be on the 'makes sense list' while "I can't wait to eat a New York Pizza" would like be on the 'ignore list'

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Canada routinely denies entry to those with a DUI in their past, even if decades ago. Not sure that's any more uptight than blocking this guy for his mildly colorful past. The difference is that there are fewer flights that use Canada as a intermediary step (some via Vancouver).

I think ""routinely" is a bit strong, although I understand your point. And I find that arbitrary and ignorant action by a specific few of our Customs people equally disgusting and speak out against them at every opportunity.

In speaking to a retired Cdn Customs person, this action by some specific officers started to ramp-up in response to what they anecdotally felt was a tightening of the border by our southern neighbor. Certainly does not make it right or acceptable.

Quite frankly, I think there are agents on both our sides that need to put their penises back in their pants and just do their jobs properly.

Isolationism is SO 20th Century.

Now it's "non intervention".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Question.... Just how did the US authorities find out about a tweet, from a foreigner, in a foreign land? ...anyone?

Someone have an ax to grind w/the couple and "ratted" them out to f'up their vacation? Or is the 'tin foil' crowd more right than wrong?

I wondered if someone narc'd on them. But the article shows a sidebar that the DHS has their own twitter accounts and then they just search for key phrases. I believe twitter defaults to an open approach because half the users are marketing dolts who want to be heard. Not my cup of tea.

If I want to follow interesting people, I find google+ allows for a much better means, one where they can write whole paragraphs. But it still has the sycophants drooling in their comments.

In speaking to a retired Cdn Customs person, this action by some specific officers started to ramp-up in response to what they anecdotally felt was a tightening of the border by our southern neighbor. Certainly does not make it right or acceptable.

I've understood this to be a long standing regulation - Canada doesn't believe in drunk drivers. I don't really fault them for it, but it seems like after a decade or three perhaps it could be ignored. What has changed recently (past decade) is that getting the conviction information is much easier than before.

For years the accepted wisdom for Canadians who get a criminal conviction is to not even think about entering the US until you get a pardon. Then the US wanted passenger info on overflights (this includes many Toronto- Vancouver flights). Now the Canadian government is changing the pardon system into a "notation on your record" or some such thing. The long and the short of it is a pardon will not keep your record from the US government anymore. You can still enter the US with a record, depending on what it was for, but it will cost you. I know a friend who goes to US several times a year to train despite his 20 year old summary offense (misdemeanor). He pays for his waiver every few years; the cost has risen dramatically recently. He arrives at the border with his itinerary in his hand, complete with addresses, dates and flight numbers/ planned exit ports.
The address requirement at the border is the one I really scratch my head at. I tell him I am planning a 2 month trip moving around several states and he wants to know the address of each place I plan on staying. Has this guy never heard of Motel Six?