steve1

Concealed Carry Handgun?

In July 1999 Charles Ewert, a business associate of Gaston Glock, hired a French ex-mercenary to murder Glock (who was 70 years old at that time[3]) with a mallet in a garage in Luxembourg in an apparent attempt to cover up embezzlement of millions from the Glock firearms company.

Although Glock's injuries included seven head wounds and the loss of about a litre of blood, Glock was able to fend off the attack by striking the hitman twice

thanks...that certainly does qualify.

Buying a concealed handgun for normal citizens?? In Australia we cannot even have a shotgun at home for self defence. If you belong to a clay target club etc you can get one but if you apply for a gun licence and say its for self defence. YOu are instantly told NO!!

Even self defence reason for carry a knife and you are arrested. I would like a gun at home and in my car for self defence but the trouble is if every one does that the violence goes through the roof as is the USA experience. Highest gun murders per head of population . So are you really safe with you all carrying guns. Interesting !!@
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Even self defence reason for carry a knife and you are arrested. I would like a gun at home and in my car for self defence but the trouble is if every one does that the violence goes through the roof as is the USA experience. Highest gun murders per head of population . So are you really safe with you all carrying guns. Interesting !!@

actually, we're not remotely close to the highest. And despite years of "record gun sales," gun related murders are at a 40 year low. Might be something else, you think?

I would like a gun at home and in my car for self defence but the trouble is if every one does that the violence goes through the roof...

Incorrect.

...as is the USA experience.

Incorrect.

Highest gun murders per head of population .

Incorrect.

So are you really safe with you all carrying guns.

Yes.

Violence is not caused by the presence of guns in the home. It's caused by violent people. And if violent people want guns, they'll get them, regardless of gun laws implemented to try and prevent that. And if they don't have a gun handy, they'll still be violent with some other weapon, like a knife or a club. Meanwhile, the vast majority of the population that is not comprised of violent people, has the means to defend themselves against those who are.

>
Have you trained to do that?

It is an axiom in both skydiving and martial arts that if you haven't trained to do something over and over you won't do it. You can tell yourself you will, but you really won't; you'll screw it up.
)

This is true....I am a big believer in training. Soldiers and police rely on this when they are scared. Their training is what kicks in and keeps them alive in a life and death conflict.

But it's also important to train at something that will work when you need it. Maybe I was a little harsh, when I said that karate was a bunch of phooey, that is next to useless.

Actually there are some elbow strikes, head butts, and a kick or two, that might actually work. It is great exercise, and does keep you very limber....but I truly feel that most martial arts would be a waist of time when trying to subdue and armed attacker.

Practicing how to disarm an armed perp, or someone with a knife, is probably going to get you shot or stabbed when you tried that in the real world. You'd be smarter to just run...

My brother took karate for a lot longer than I did. One day a local tough, cleaned his clock, in a bar fight. I asked him why he didn't he use his karate. He said there wasn't time for that.

Another time, the same thing happened....He came home with a big black eye.

How in the world is practicing karate going to save your bacon when you are facing an armed criminal?.... If it won't work against someone who is unarmed, how are supposed to be able to take someone's weapon away? My brother had years, of karate practice.

You can buy a gun, and get some practice, and training, that same day.....This kind of training will work when the chips are down. You don't have to be a victim.

Don't be so hasty on eliminating the .38 snub nose as a carry gun. I have a Taurus model 85, stainless steel, 2" barrel and I can hit a golf ball with it at 25 yards. It now has the hammer bobbed off of it to eliminate snags, 5 rounds of Glaser Safety slugs, tucked away in a nice ankle holster makes a great hide-out.
Who Dares Wins

I asked him why he didn't he use his karate. He said there wasn't time for that.

And

You can buy a gun, and get some practice, and training, that same day.....This kind of training will work when the chips are down.

You are claiming that in a fight you may not have enough time to strike or hit a guy, but you may have enough time to pull a gun correctly?

I say no.

You are trying to say that years of martial arts training and you may not react fast enough, but a day of shooting training and you will react fast enough?

Again, no.

This is one problem with firearms. People think that just having it is enough.... It might be, but more likely it will not be.

I take people out to tactical shoots all the time. They are amazed at how much more difficult it is than the movies make it look. Add in the stress of a guy trying to kill you.... And it is worse.

Buying a concealed handgun for normal citizens?? In Australia we cannot even have a shotgun at home for self defence.

This is good to know....for crooks.

Even self defence reason for carry a knife and you are arrested.

Well, hopefully Australians are smart enough to avoid saying that when talking to the gestapo...er, I mean cops.

I would like a gun at home and in my car for self defence but the trouble is if every one does that the violence goes through the roof...

Simple solution: point the thing somewhere other than your ceiling.
:P

as is the USA experience. Highest gun murders per head of population . So are you really safe with you all carrying guns. Interesting !!@

Yep...it's not the legal carriers that are being murdered.
It's most often the ones having no protection that get blitzed.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Violence is not caused by the presence of guns in the home. It's caused by violent people. And if violent people want guns, they'll get them, regardless of gun laws implemented to try and prevent that. And if they don't have a gun handy, they'll still be violent with some other weapon, like a knife or a club. Meanwhile, the vast majority of the population that is not comprised of violent people, has the means to defend themselves against those who are.

And this is why I am so pissed, so very pissed, at all the scared-as-shit-gunophobes trying to take a way your means of protection against those bozos....irrespective of any constitutional rights.

" I am the LAW! I tell you that you CANNOT protect yourselves against the crooks. I will arrest you and throw you into jail of you do! I'll even murder your sorry ass if you attempt to resist!"
Fucking assholes.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Don't be so hasty on eliminating the .38 snub nose as a carry gun. I have a Taurus model 85, stainless steel, 2" barrel and I can hit a golf ball with it at 25 yards. It now has the hammer bobbed off of it to eliminate snags, 5 rounds of Glaser Safety slugs, tucked away in a nice ankle holster makes a great hide-out.

Glasers are pants. I'll see if I can find the report I had in mind, but google some of the tests people have run. You'd be better shooting wad cutters, really.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Glasers are pants. I'll see if I can find the report I had in mind, but google some of the tests people have run. You'd be better shooting wad cutters, really.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Brassfetcher_evaluates_9mm_Glaser_Safety_Slug.pdf

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And this is why I am so pissed, so very pissed, at all the scared-as-shit-gunophobes trying to take a way your means of protection against those bozos....irrespective of any constitutional rights.

" I am the LAW! I tell you that you CANNOT protect yourselves against the crooks. I will arrest you and throw you into jail of you do! I'll even murder your sorry ass if you attempt to resist!"
Fucking assholes.

I believe in The Uncle Ted's (Nugent) rule; "You invade my property, invade my home or try to hurt my family... you're dead!" I believe in 'gun control... hitting your target'! Too bad about the gun-o-phobes. I wonder, how many gun-o-phobes have been saved by someone with a CCW permit? :D

Chuck

Fucking assholes.

I believe in The Uncle Ted's (Nugent) rule; "You invade my property, invade my home or try to hurt my family... you're dead!" I believe in 'gun control... hitting your target'! Too bad about the gun-o-phobes. I wonder, how many gun-o-phobes have been saved by someone with a CCW permit? :D

Chuck

There was one in Milwaukee on Tuesday. The store was posted prohibited (the CCW holder said that he didn't see the sign) and a permit holder shot a robber armed with a shotgun.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/aldi-customer-wont-be-charged-in-shooting-sk42et0-138688529.html

While the person who made the decision to post the store as prohibited probably wasn't in the store at the time (that's an upper management decision), the fact that the robbery was stopped by a carry permit holder in a store that was "safer" because weapons weren't allowed is irrefutable.

I would like to know if the store being posted prohibited had any part in the robber's decision to hit that particular store.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Good for him! I doubt this will change any anti gunner's minds but it might just get them to consider things differently. Maybe, some anti-muslims, too. Ya' just neer know.
As for the robber... what a dumb-ass! Trying to hold-up a store with an un-loaded weaspon? Then again, bad guys really aren't that smart to begin with.

Glad you posted that.

Chuck

...the fact that the robbery was stopped by a carry permit holder in a store that was "safer" because weapons weren't allowed is irrefutable.

I would like to know if the store being posted prohibited had any part in the robber's decision to hit that particular store.

I'm curious, I wonder how many CCW folks would 'take the shot' in an instance like that?

It would obviously depend on the circumstances, perceived threat vs. danger to by-standers etc.

Would be kinda interesting to see it as a shoot/don't shoot video...

I had some training that tried to explain how ~just because you 'can' doesn't always mean you must, and just because you 'should' doesn't always mean you will.

Really gave us something to think about.

We were told that if you pull the trigger, even if it's justified, that we should be prepared for some pretty expensive legal bills.

Yup. Some states are better than others about needing the hig dollar criminal defense lawyer, but chances are you are getting face a civil suit either by the perp, or the perps family.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

...the fact that the robbery was stopped by a carry permit holder in a store that was "safer" because weapons weren't allowed is irrefutable.

I'm curious, I wonder how many CCW folks would 'take the shot' in an instance like that?

It would obviously depend on the circumstances, perceived threat vs. danger to by-standers etc.

Would be kinda interesting to see it as a shoot/don't shoot video...

I had some training that tried to explain how ~just because you 'can' doesn't always mean you must, and just because you 'should' doesn't always mean you will.

Really gave us something to think about.

The story says that the shooter took about 30 seconds from noticing the robbery to deciding to shoot. He apparently waited until the robber pointed the shotgun at him. He didn't just open fire when he saw a bad guy with a gun. He held off until the threat was directed towards him.

The decision to shoot or not is always challenging. At least it is if the armed citizen has thought seriously about the consequences of carrying a gun.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

I sure like the looks of that GLOCK 19, Gen 4, 9mm. Do they all come with fixed sights??? If I can't find one with adjustable sights, I won't buy one.

Someone talked me into buying a short barreled 38 revolver for my daughter. It's a nice little gun....It has fixed sights. It definitely shoots off, and there is no way to adjust those sights. I hate a gun that shoots that far off.

I know the argument is that at really close range, it won't matter....My daughter is a good shot. She could stop a threat before it was in her lap, with a good shooting pistol. But maybe not with a gun that shoots way off.

I think she may trade this gun for something else...

I've never liked the little snub-nosed pistols that you can't hit the broad side of a barn with.

A bigger pistol might be a pain to carry, but I'd like to be able to hit what I aim at too.

My carry gun is an XD-40 sub-compact, and I can hit a paper plate at a hundred yards with it. That's accurate enough for self-defense imo.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I sure like the looks of that GLOCK 19, Gen 4, 9mm. Do they all come with fixed sights??? If I can't find one with adjustable sights, I won't buy one.

Someone talked me into buying a short barreled 38 revolver for my daughter. It's a nice little gun....It has fixed sights. It definitely shoots off, and there is no way to adjust those sights. I hate a gun that shoots that far off.

I know the argument is that at really close range, it won't matter....My daughter is a good shot. She could stop a threat before it was in her lap, with a good shooting pistol. But maybe not with a gun that shoots way off.

I think she may trade this gun for something else...

You can get the sights on a Glock replaced. Some feel that the original sights on Glocks are one of their few flaws.

I've got a 23 & a 21, the sights are adjustable...with a hammer. ;)

Yeah I'm serious, you can drift the rear if ya know what your doing.

The thing with adjustable sights on a concealed combat weapon is ~

If you really want them make sure ya get low profile.

Always a concern they've 'moved' since you last sighted in if your bangin' the gun around any. . . which you will if you carry every day.

~Most all loads require a different point of aim, practice with something that impacts the same downrange as the carry loads. Then shoot A LOT of practice rounds so you know where to hold the fixed sights at different ranges without thinking.

Take a combat course & Practice point shooting, you won't be USING the rear sight in anyway that you're use to when just 'plinking'. ;)

Tack driving accuracy isn't what you're going for here, you aren't tryin' to kill nails...you're tryin' to nail killers. :P