mpohl

US DEATH PENALTY. No More State-Sanctioned Murder Supported by the EU.

Death Penalty Opposition
EU Set to Ban Export of Drug Used in US Executions

States in the US have long been having difficulty gaining access to a drug used in lethal injection cocktails. A new European Union regulation will make it even harder. As of the end of this week, EU pharmaceutical companies will no longer be allowed to export thiopental for use in executions.

Ever since January, when the Illinois-based pharmaceutical company Hospira elected to stop making a key ingredient in the lethal injection cocktail used by several US states to execute death-row inmates, the United States has been searching for alternative suppliers. As of Friday, obtaining the drug from the European Union will become much more difficult.

According to a report published Monday in the daily Süddeutsche Zeitung, a new European Union regulation set to go into effect at the end of this week will prohibit the export of some barbituric acids unless a special permit has been issued. Among those chemicals on the list is the anesthetic thiopental, which is used broadly in the US for executions.

When announcing its decision to cease production of thiopental, Hospira cited the drug's use in lethal injection cocktails as the primary reason. Numerous executions in the US have had to be postponed due to shortages of the chemical as a result of the company's decision. Simply replacing it with something else is not immediately possible due to the complicated process with which chemicals are approved for inclusion in lethal injection cocktails. As a result, many states have spent months searching for new suppliers abroad.

A Significant Supporter

In June, Germany's Vice Chancellor Philipp Rösler, who was health minister at the time, said he was asked by then-US Commerce Secretary Gary Locke to help in the search for new suppliers of thiopental. "I noted the request, and declined," Rösler reported saying in response. He also wrote to German pharmaceutical companies asking them not to sell the chemical in the US.

The Süddeutsche reports that Rösler was a significant supporter of the new EU regulation.

Just two weeks ago, the Swiss pharmaceutical company Naari AG, which produces sodium thiopental in India, complained that Nebraska had illegitimately obtained a supply via a middleman. Naari CEO Prithi Kochhar wrote a letter to Nebraska's Supreme Court Chief Justice Michael Heavican as well as to the state attorney general saying he is opposed to the use of the drug in lethal injections.

"I am shocked and appalled by this news," Kochar wrote in the letter, which was first reported on by the Lincoln Journal Star. "I am writing to request that the thiopental which was wrongfully diverted ... to the Nebraska Department of Correctional Services be returned immediately to its rightful owners, that is, that it be returned to us at Naari."

In April, Indian pharmaceutical company Kayem Pharmaceutical Pvt. Ltd. halted sales of the drug for use in death penalty cocktails. The Danish company Lundbeck followed suit in June.

P.S.: I do not believe that US citizens have even begun to acknowledge how far they have deviated from societally accepted norms in the 21st century. This country, the US, is living in the dark ages. And China is no excuse!!!

funny thing is that you can make a suicide machine with common alcohol that is painless and costs one hell of a lot less than this fucking drug.

so lets rig the iv's with cheap black velvet and send the bastards to hell:D

fuck the eu - we'll kill em all and let god sort them out the cheap way!~:P

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Last think I knew that it took the whole world to overcome Germany; TWICE!

And any Afghanistan warrior can outdo an American tank at any time. Seems the Americans will withdraw w/ their tail tugged in.

I bet you are overweight, live on Pringles, Coca-Cola, and Fox News! Don't have a clue, but support tax incentives for the 1%.

funny thing is that you can make a suicide machine with common alcohol that is painless and costs one hell of a lot less than this fucking drug.

Roy

A .22 cartridge costs pennies, but it is quite messy.
Pumping nitrogen into a room to displace all oxygen would be very cheap, quick, painless, and much less messy. Ask anybody who has ever passed out from oxygen deprivation.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Last think I knew that it took the whole world to overcome Germany; TWICE!

And any Afghanistan warrior can outdo an American tank at any time. Seems the Americans will withdraw w/ their tail tugged in.

I bet you are overweight, live on Pringles, Coca-Cola, and Fox News! Don't have a clue, but support tax incentives for the 1%.

Roy

Hmmm... Whose country has American Air Bases and Army Posts within its borders?

Oh yeah, Ihre geliebte Drittes Reich.

>>As of Friday, obtaining the drug from the European Union will become much more difficult.

Good. I bet an American company starts making it now and brings a few more jobs back with them:P:ph34r:

Right on. Fuck the EU. Yippie Ki Yay Motherfuckers.

At least our ways of execution is less messy than those carried out in the Middle East. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>>As of Friday, obtaining the drug from the European Union will become much more difficult.

Good. I bet an American company starts making it now and brings a few more jobs back with them:P:ph34r:

Actually they were sourcing it in Germany because the American company stopped making it because they were uncomfortable being involved with CP.

I do not believe that US citizens have even begun to acknowledge how far they have deviated from societally accepted norms in the 21st century.

Have you any idea how many different societally accepted norms there are throughout the world? I don’t know if you are European, but you sure act like it because of the air of general societal superiority you state.

Well let me tell you about American society. Our society is different from that of Europe. You may ask why. Here’s the short answer: FUCK YOU! Really, that’s the American ethos: FUCK YOU. The first effort at the Declaration of Independence was simply, “FUCK YOU, LIMEY POOFTERS!” But then Jefferson decided to apply his peculiar felicity with the English tongue and draft something that was a bit more subtle of a way of saying “FUCK YOU.”

In America, we view Europe in general the bitches whose asses we’ve been kicking over the last couple of hundred years. We get along well with the British now because they’ve quit fucking with us. In fact, all of Europe in general has.

This is the big problem that America has created with its “FUCK YOU” motto. We’ve been foster care for Europe over the last 110 years. When the Germans acted up, we thought their tantrum would die down but Germany grew more empowered and got some friends. So we had to go in there and break up the fight. Thanks to Europe being pussies, they couldn’t just shake hands and move on but the treaty of Versailles created reparations that left Germany even more bitter.

So Germans got some Italians and other friends and moved around to start kicking ass. Germany did a fine job of stomping Europe because, well, Europe just was too pussified to do much about it. Britain hid out on their island and did a reasonable job of protecting itself but wouldn’t rule the waves enough to prevent supplies from being torpedoed. So the US had to go in again and save snowflakes from the Axis bullies. Just to make sure Europe quit fucking around, the US decided to keep bases there because, well, the Russian Europeans decided that bullying would be fun and we in the US knew that the rest of Europe couldn’t protect itself without us.

So European society didn’t have to worry much. Uncle Sam left things nice and cozy for them and the societal norm in Europe is now to be dependent on their governments, which of course are dependent on the US. Europe has now hit its teenage years, looking at their parents (the US) and protectors as not being hip to the way things are nowadays. “My parents just don’t get it. They don’t understand that they are living in the past. They are relics and over the hill. I’m independent now and my own person. But they still won’t let me borrow the car or give me fifty bucks to go to the movies with my friends. They won’t pay me to be independent.”

But, as always, the parents have learned that the teenagers have to be protected from themselves and their friends. The teenagers get themselves into trouble, and cannot be fully trusted until they can go without world wars for longer than a century, on average. America has come far in civilizing Europe and keeping it on a tight leash.

I think it’s time, however, to put more trust in Europe. Europe is 18, and graduated from high school. Kick them out the door and see how they can handle things on their own. The concern is that they’ve been too protected from the realities of modern life. They’ve been sheltered such that they think that their own subculture is the societally accepted norm worldwide. Can we risk the damage caused when Europe finds out, no, the rest of the planet is brutal? Will Europe come back to Uncle Sam in ten years and say, “You were right, Uncle. You did such a good job of protecting us that we thought the world was all crumpets and après ski? We had ourselves a nice little place that we took for granted and we had no idea how hard it is.”

note: the above is satire.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The first effort at the Declaration of Independence was simply, “FUCK YOU, LIMEY POOFTERS!”

:D:D Thats funny... But this....

In America, we view Europe in general the bitches whose asses we’ve been kicking over the last couple of hundred years.

Is frickin hysterical!:D:D:D:D

The USA wouldn't even exist is the French hadn't helped you out during the war of independence. As for the Germans, you showed up late for the game twice (the first time round so clueless we had to first train you) and have been making movies about how you won the war ever since. While your contribution is appreciated it was really the Russians that made the biggest difference when it came to defeating the Third Reich.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

. Lead's pretty cheap, isn't it?

Elvisio "click click BOOM" Rodriguez

No but it's reclaimable after use. Recycling is this years buzz-word ain't it?

N/A. Lead is toxic to humans. We can't do that. It might give them lead poisoning.
:o
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The USA wouldn't even exist is the French hadn't helped you out during the war of independence. As for the Germans, you showed up late for the game twice (the first time round so clueless we had to first train you) and have been making movies about how you won the war ever since. While your contribution is appreciated it was really the Russians that made the biggest difference when it came to defeating the Third Reich.

And England wouldn't have lasted past the summer of 1941 without the US aid. blah blah blah.

You should be happy the Russians suffered, or they would have been able to roll over all of Europe after the war.

In America, we view Europe in general the bitches whose asses we’ve been kicking over the last couple of hundred years.

Is frickin hysterical!

Subjective viewpoint and objective reality are often at odds.

This is why you think I'm joking. :P

My wife is hotter than your wife.