JohnRich

Obama to impose $100-per-flight Skydiving Tax

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2012/assets/jointcommitteereport.pdf
See page 22 and 23 for the actuall wording that only says controlled airspace.

Which is the VAST majority of the CONUS airspace.
There's very little uncontrolled airspace above 800 ft.

Sounds like a $100 per flight skydiving tax.

Nonsense. User fees have been talked about for decades. Typical jump operations won't be significantly affected.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

TK with your history are you REALLY going there???

The point is that the FAA is already well funded.

You could make a easy argument that most gov agency are well funded, they just spend to much.

I AM paying my share. The fact that they cannot find more tenants is not really my problem.

Shit TK with this position how can you have such a hard time with the same argument for people that don't feel they should pay higher taxes.

Z-Hills is the GE of drop zones. I small 182 dz should get better breaks than you do. Why are you having such a hard time agreeing to pay your FAIR SHARE?

Besides your FAIR SHARE would just be a little bit more....heaven forbid you and your partners can do with a little less profit.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2012/assets/jointcommitteereport.pdf

Nonsense. User fees have been talked about for decades. Typical jump operations won't be significantly affected.

I would like to keep the camel's nose out of the tent.

I don't think there is much chance of this passing.

As written it would apply to commercial flights in controlled airspace. That (taxing skydiving flights) may not be the intent, but it says what it says.

Please show me as written how this would not apply to skydiving.

James

That is simple.. stay out of the Middle East.. and the Australian desert... problem solved.

Oh and that works on MANY MANY levels... for the clueless out there

I'll let you in on a little secret. We don't make that much profit. I drive a Corolla with 150-160K miles on it. I want to go to Qatar for the 444 ways but I cannot afford it. I am trying to put together enough money to buy new gear - but I do not have it. - still jumping 10 year old gear.

Not sure where you get the idea that all dropzone operators are automatically somehow rich. we are not.

Pretty much every price increase does already get passed on to the consumer (you). If you have not watched the price of our jump tickets go up over the past 5 -15 years. Everyone a direct reflection of cost-of-sales increases.

So yes, we can afford to pay more in taxes, more in fuel surcharges, more in rent, more in maintenance, more in wages, more in labor costs, more in everything as long as YOU can afford to pay more in jump tickets.

um, there's sorta a difference between thinking someone is rich and them actually being rich.

Tax the shit out of aviation - I do not care. $100/flight = $4-5 increase in jump tickets. if you want that, then go for it.

Have you written your congressman today about that? 'cause I sure as fuck did.....

Pretty much every price increase does already get passed on to the consumer (you). If you have not watched the price of our jump tickets go up over the past 5 -15 years. Everyone a direct reflection of cost-of-sales increases.

So yes, we can afford to pay more in taxes, more in fuel surcharges, more in rent, more in maintenance, more in wages, more in labor costs, more in everything as long as YOU can afford to pay more in jump tickets.

Correct, and the same thing applies to all other businesses, like the ones the liberals want to impose higher taxes upon. And just like you, they'll just pass those costs on to the consumers in the form of higher prices for their goods. So there really isn't any such thing as a business tax, because they don't really pay them - they just charge their consumers more to pay them. And yet most liberals, of which you are one, are in favor of imposing more taxes on businesses. So you seem to have a position with your personal business that contradicts the position of the political affiliation to which you belong. Somehow when liberal policies come home to roost, things look a whole lot different. Isn't that interesting...

>I'll let you in on a little secret. We don't make that much profit.

That's sorta the point. You have in the past complained about the rich not being taxed enough. Well, guess what? To most people, you're rich.

Oh my gosh, a liberal criticizing another liberal. Is the world coming to an end?

That is simple.. stay out of the Middle East.. and the Australian desert... problem solved.

Oh and that works on MANY MANY levels... for the clueless out there

My tent, your nose.:)

um, there's sorta a difference between thinking someone is rich and them actually being rich.
Tax the shit out of aviation - I do not care. $100/flight = $4-5 increase in jump tickets. if you want that, then go for it.

An average skydiver that makes 150 jumps a year is spending about $3,000 to $4,000 per year on jumps, maintenance and gear, at a minimum. And the numbers for a DZ owner with an expensive airplane are even worse. To many people, if you can afford that kind of discretionary income, you are rich in their eyes. And that makes us all targets for more taxes, under the philosophy of "making the rich pay more". So maybe we should all reconsider if we want to attack the rich disproportionately to solve the nation's economic woes.

I'll bet you $20 right now John, that the next Government, most like Republican majority, RAISES taxes across the board during their term, either by DIRECT tax increases and new taxes, and/or the expiration of old tax breaks.

They'll blame the previous administration of course. everyone does.

It's a fact of life, the government will not ever balance the budget without doing that, regardless of who is in power. And yes, we (all Americans) will pay for it.

Sorta exactly what i have been preaching all along - it costs money to run the country, decide what we want, develop the tax base to pay for it.

I am not actually contradicting myself. I am trying to protect my business and my customers from unnecessary increases in costs (FAA funding). Now if they come up with taxes to pay for universal healthcare/better education/better justice system/drug rehab, I will gladly raise prices to pay the taxes to pay for that.

Sorry TK I'm not picking on you just calling you on some of the shit you've said in the past.

I'll let you in on a little secret. We don't make that much profit. I drive a Corolla with 150-160K miles on it. I want to go to Qatar for the 444 ways but I cannot afford it. I am trying to put together enough money to buy new gear - but I do not have it. - still jumping 10 year old gear.

I drive a F-150, 12 years old and around 150K on it, My Mirage container is about 11 years old, my USED triathalon is about 4 years old.

So basically your "broke" and I'm cheap? :P I believe a while back you did some construction work around you house (good for you) perhaps you could have added that money to the gear you want to buy?

Not sure where you get the idea that all dropzone operators are automatically somehow rich. we are not.

I don't think that all dz's are "rich" just the ones that add on buildings and seem to stay pretty busy. Besides define "rich".

My whole point of this was to point out how this was effecting YOU and your business and the way you were responding.

Raise your rates, as you should AND WILL if this was to pass. You aren't doing the job for free. But to me you seem to have thrown a brick in a glass house is all.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

>Oh my gosh, a liberal criticizing another liberal. Is the world coming to an end?

Nope. Liberals don't need to blindly support an ideology, so there's more disagreement amongst them.

Ha! There's another good laugh from one of my detractors.

"Congressional Black Caucus members unhappy over African-American unemployment “probably would be marching on the White House” if Barack Obama were not the president"
http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/cleaver-obama-black-caucus/2011/09/19/id/411529

Just the latest of a long string of criticisms by Obama supporters, who temper their actions with blind ideology support.

Is the world coming to an end?

Better buy more guns.

I've got enough to take care of myself, and to loan some to friends who aren't as well prepared. If you want on my emergency gun loan list, I'll put you down at the bottom - that may get you only an old German mauser. But better than nothing.

Have you written your congressman today about that? 'cause I sure as fuck did.....

We should all be writing our various congressman on this one. If they have not already the USPA should be joining the other organizations fighting this.

James

I've got enough to take care of myself, and to loan some to friends who aren't as well prepared. If you want on my emergency gun loan list, I'll put you down at the bottom - that may get you only an old German mauser. But better than nothing.

You have friends without guns? That surprises me.

>Oh my gosh, a liberal criticizing another liberal. Is the world coming to an end?

Nope. Liberals don't need to blindly support an ideology, so there's more disagreement amongst them.

ooooh - stereotypes nice

Liberals argue over this kind of stuff all the time. Blind support of ideology in liberal land? Global Warming

Republicans argue over this kind of stuff all the time. Blind support of ideology in Rep land? abortion

each group has their nutbags - we have to stop label each other based on their fringies

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If they have not already the USPA should be joining the other organizations fighting this.

Pretty sure the entire alphabet soup organizations are already on top of that. That is, after all, their job. If you belong to one, THAT is what you're paying for; not the shiny magazine, but their lobbying efforts.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You have friends without guns? That surprises me.

I have friends from all walks of life; rich and poor, democrat and republican, liberal and conservative, gay and straight, black and white, armed and armless. Why would that surprise you? Do you have some kind of stereotype of gun owners in which you believe that they're all white rednecks who only hang out with each other? I also have friends who don't skydive - does that shock you? Are all of your friends exactly like yourself in thought in activities? If so, how boring...