JohnRich

Polygamy vs. Homosexual Marriage

Marriage has almost always been defined throughout history as a union between one man and one woman.

Lately, there has been a trend towards legalizing homosexual marriages, whereby a union can be recognized between two men or two women.

So with all this redefining of marriage going on, isn't it time to also legalize polygamy - a union between multiple partners?

If two homosexuals can marry each other, why can't one man have a marriage with two women? This is already a recognized practice in many parts of the world. Who is the government to tell willing adults what kind of marriage vows they should be allowed to enter into? As long as everyone is a willing partner, it seems to me that the door has been opened, and it should be just about "anything goes" now. I say it's time to legalize polygamy.

I'm against both, but I do feel that if the government is going to accept/allow for homosexual marriage, they also need to accept/ally polygamy. The issue seems to be about equal rights and liberty, but by not allowing polygamy, they are denying that small group their rights.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Marriage has almost always been defined throughout history as a union between one man and one woman. Uh.. WRONG... ever been to the Middle East????? Think King Solomon etc....

Lately, there has been a trend towards legalizing homosexual marriages, whereby a union can be recognized between two men or two women. I suppose this is going to destroy your marriage

So with all this redefining of marriage going on, isn't it time to also legalize polygamy - a union between multiple partners? Why not... Think King Solomon... its the BIBLICAL thing to do

If two homosexuals can marry each other, why can't one man have a marriage with two women? This is already a recognized practice in many parts of the world. Who is the government to tell willing adults what kind of marriage vows they should be allowed to enter into? As long as everyone is a willing partner, it seems to me that the door has been opened, and it should be just about "anything goes" now. I say it's time to legalize polygamy.

You better let me have polyandry then... most of you boys... wear out way too easy.

Most of what you and most conservatives seem to think is "normal" stems from the puritans and other English whack job religious groups who were so fuggin uptight they dare not see each other naked in the light of day.

Get government out of marriage.

Either get rid of the marriage benefits for all or extend them to anyone requesting them as civil unions. Remove the word marriage entirely from government. IF people choose to get married, it can be strictly a religious thing and have 0 ties to government.

What, who, or how consenting adults conduct their relationships should not be the governments concern.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>Either get rid of the marriage benefits for all or extend them to anyone requesting
>them as civil unions.

Agreed. Let religions deal with marriage (or whatever they want to call it.) Government sets up legal frameworks, period; everything else is between the people who want to be married (or their church, if they want a church involved.)

This also means that the prohibition against the marriage of people that are related to each other should be removed.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

This also means that the prohibition against the marriage of people that are related to each other should be removed.

Not feeling you on that one. That's a case of potential mental and physical defects, which will have a direct impact on the rest of society through taxation and the increased burden placed upon our medical infrastructure.
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

I say it's time to legalize polygamy.

I expect to see you in the news soon, floating down the Rio Grande in your canoe. Gun in one hand, and a "Legalize Polygamy" sign in the other hand. I guess you'll need a couple of women (or men ;) in there to paddle for you. (You might need to get a bigger canoe.) :D

Sorry, I'm feeling silly right now. :P

And I have no problem with polygamy, as long as it is between consenting adults. The legal aspects might be a little different than two-person (same-sex or opposite-sex) marriage, since you're now dealing with more than two people, but I'm sure that could be worked out.

Get government out of marriage.

Either get rid of the marriage benefits for all or extend them to anyone requesting them as civil unions. Remove the word marriage entirely from government. IF people choose to get married, it can be strictly a religious thing and have 0 ties to government.

What, who, or how consenting adults conduct their relationships should not be the governments concern.

what? treat everyone the same? get the government completely out of something they don't belong in in the first place

what kind of crazy talk is this?

both items are the antithesis of government - who's job is to invade every single aspect of our lives and use it to give preferences to one group at the expense of the others

(+1)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Either get rid of the marriage benefits for all or extend them to anyone requesting
>them as civil unions.

Agreed. Let religions deal with marriage (or whatever they want to call it.) Government sets up legal frameworks, period; everything else is between the people who want to be married (or their church, if they want a church involved.)

Exactly.

Marriage is a religious/spiritual event. It shouldn't be made into a legal one.

Not feeling you on that one. That's a case of potential mental and physical defects, which will have a direct impact on the rest of society through taxation and the increased burden placed upon our medical infrastructure.

Not true. There is no increased chance of genetic mutation in say a brother / sister pair. If neither one of them have negative genetic traits, they won't magically create one at a rate higher than the general population. Even if the brother / sister pair were both carriers of something, are you going to forbid their love because of it? Are you also ready to start requiring DNA testing for all couples to insure that the gene pool isn't further damaged? etc.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Exactly.

It may be a "religious/spiritual event" to you but others see it as a promise made in front of the entire community.

That promise or contract does have legal ramifications if either party violates the contract.
Considering the legal ramifications how could government not be expected to be involved and set criteria pre- wedding?

Exactly.

It may be a "religious/spiritual event" to you but others see it as a promise made in front of the entire community.

That promise or contract does have legal ramifications if either party violates the contract.
Considering the legal ramifications how could government not be expected to be involved and set criteria pre- wedding?

End the legal ramifications. Legal marriage is just nanny state nonsense anyway.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Not true. There is no increased chance of genetic mutation in say a brother / sister pair. If neither one of them have negative genetic traits, they won't magically create one at a rate higher than the general population. Even if the brother / sister pair were both carriers of something, are you going to forbid their love because of it? Are you also ready to start requiring DNA testing for all couples to insure that the gene pool isn't further damaged? etc.

Quite right!

Since people with known, well established genetic traits that will without doubt be passed on to a high percentage of children are allowed to produce children, why should an ordinary blood related couple be prevented from doing so?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There is no increased chance of genetic mutation in say a brother / sister pair.

Genetic mutation isn't the issue of concern. The fact that they have a much higher likelihood of possessing and passing on negative recessive genetic traits is the issue.

Now, imagine homosexuality is caused by a genetic trait and a mother has that recessive trait but the father does not. There's a pretty good chance that 2 of their children may also possess that recessive trait. Those 2 siblings have children and...

...BAM... soon we've got little gay kids everywhere.

Before long, the entire country will be swarming with left-handed, red-headed, well-dressed men who spend too much time at the gym.
Owned by Remi #?

Exactly.

And those people have every opportunity to get married in a church in front of their community.

There is a difference between a promise and a contract, a huge difference. Putting a ring on someone's finger is a promise, but it's no business of the state to regulate that promise.

If those two people want to, in addition to being married in a church, draft and sign some sort of contract saying they'll share income or some other thing, fine. If one of them breaches that contract they should be able to sue, just like any other contract. And, just like any other contract, any two, or three, or ten people should be able to contract with each other.

The government has absolutely NO business trying to regulate marriage.

[replyThere is a difference between a promise and a contract, a huge difference.

Really? Could you explain the difference?

If I promise my girlfriend that I will love and cherish her forever, and I don't, she can't take me to court.

If I sign a valid contract with my girlfriend saying that I'm going to pay 1/2 of a mortgage on a new house until the house is paid of, and I don't, she can sue me.

[replyNow, imagine homosexuality is caused by a genetic trait and a mother has that recessive trait but the father does not. There's a pretty good chance that 2 of their children may also possess that recessive trait. Those 2 siblings have children and...

...BAM... soon we've got little gay kids everywhere.

LOL! Homophobic much? LOL!

Well at least we'd be whipping that overpopulation problem!

[replyEnd the legal ramifications.

Marriage is a contract.
To "end the legal ramifications" would mean either that contracts are from now on unenforceable or that no marriages can occur.

Yup, I understand that. Marriage is quite a few different things to different people. For some it is a sacred religious institution, even a sacrament. For most, even those who are not religious, it is a promise or series of promises tied to a relationship. For all those who are legally married it is also a legal contract. There is no reason it has to be. Eliminate the nanny state nonsense of government regulating personal relationships between adults.

People will still get married, it just won't be a contract any more.

[replyThere is a difference between a promise and a contract, a huge difference.

Really? Could you explain the difference?

If I promise my girlfriend that I will love and cherish her forever, and I don't, she can't take me to court.

If I sign a valid contract with my girlfriend saying that I'm going to pay 1/2 of a mortgage on a new house until the house is paid of, and I don't, she can sue me.

When in front of an audience you swear an oath "till death do us part" that "I do" isn't just an indication of your pussywhippedness.
It is also a legaly binding contract between you.

What you don't seem to understand is that oral contracts(or promises) are just as legally binding as written contracts. Generally they are harder to proove and therefor enforce as there aren't many witnesses.
Marriage vows infront of a church full of friends and family and recorded on video or dvd , not so tough to prove.

When in front of an audience you swear an oath "till death do us part" that "I do" isn't just an indication of your pussywhippedness.
It is also a legaly binding contract between you.

When I was young and foolish I thought that 'til death do us part thing was actually binding. It wasn't.