JohnRich

Polygamy vs. Homosexual Marriage

Oh .., Uhm.., well.., Blush
Just have your partner pack it back in before it's all the way out !Smile

1. Why did you assume I was homophobic and not afraid of left handed gingers instead?

2. I'm single

3. I'm not a guy and I really don't dig anal regardless.
Owned by Remi #?

[reply1. Why did you assume I was homophobic and not afraid of left handed gingers instead?

Cultural bias.

2. I'm single

I can't imagine why.

In response let me just compliment you on that Butch avatar!;)

When in front of an audience you swear an oath "till death do us part" that "I do" isn't just an indication of your pussywhippedness.
It is also a legaly binding contract between you.

Enforceable in court?

Definitley!

Hmm. Can you give me a modern example of a lawsuit in which common wedding vows were successfully upheld as the sole source of a legal obligation? I'm not attorney, so I definitely could be mistaken, but I'd be very surprised if that would make it in court.

Hmm. Can you give me a modern example of a lawsuit in which common wedding vows were successfully upheld as the sole source of a legal obligation? I'm not attorney, so I definitely could be mistaken, but I'd be very surprised if that would make it in court.

Dude, every divorce case is based on "common wedding vows".
It is a promise. A contract. If the contract hadn't been violated there would be no divorce cases.

OH .., one more thing, and this is important..,

if you are even toying with the idea of getting married ... Don't Do It!!!!!

It's a fools game with no benefit to the male entering the contract.

If you are going to get married I hope you find fat women attractive.., because that skinny little rocknroll piece of ass at the altar will turn into a round disgusting fat body long before death do you part.

Oh .., Uhm.., well.., Blush
Just have your partner pack it back in before it's all the way out !Smile

1. Why did you assume I was homophobic and not afraid of left handed gingers instead?

2. I'm single

Its that whole transferrence thing again.....:ph34r:

I got married to my Norton chopper back in the 80's. We separated several times, but she always came back. What can I say? The bitch loves me. I did cheat on her with a 91 FLSTF for 11 years. She was really sweet and curvy. I thought about divorcing the Norton to marry the Harley, but never did. The Harley left me in 02. Well, I have been cheating on my Norton, once again, for a number of years with an 05 FLSTFI. Not really cheating as the Norton knows of the Harley. She doesn't seem to mind that I ride another bike. What I am wondering is would anyone think I was strange if I were married to two motorcycles? Is there any law against doing so?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

It is a promise. A contract. If the contract hadn't been violated there would be no divorce cases.

First off, without obtaining a marriage license, is a marriage recognized and considered valid by the state? Can you get a divorce decree without ever having filed any type of paperwork with the government proving your marriage? I could be wrong, but I think most states won't consider you legally married until file for a marriage license.

Secondly, if your example does work, it only works because there is a state definition of marriage. I'm considering a scenario in which the state does not define obligations involved with marriage. I'm sure that without a state definition of marriage, wedding vows would be considered an 'illusory promise', therefore not enforceable in court.

OH .., one more thing, and this is important..,

if you are even toying with the idea of getting married ... Don't Do It!!!!!

It's a fools game with no benefit to the male entering the contract.

If you are going to get married I hope you find fat women attractive.., because that skinny little rocknroll piece of ass at the altar will turn into a round disgusting fat body long before death do you part.

Wedding vows does not make someone legally married, it's that license they get that does that.

The only exception I know of to that is common law marriages.

Another solution is to treat marriage for what it is, a legal contract, and get a prenup. This way if things change both parties already know what they will get should they disolve the marriage. :)
Besides, love is what's important anyway. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

First off, without obtaining a marriage license, is a marriage recognized and considered valid by the state? Can you get a divorce decree without ever having filed any type of paperwork with the government proving your marriage? I could be wrong, but I think most states won't consider you legally married until file for a marriage license.

Secondly, if your example does work, it only works because there is a state definition of marriage. I'm considering a scenario in which the state does not define obligations involved with marriage. I'm sure that without a state definition of marriage, wedding vows would be considered an 'illusory promise', therefore not enforceable in court.

Dude.., You make a promise it is an oral contract.
If a contract is broken either party of the contract can seek damages through the legal system.
That's just the way it is.
Private contract disputes are infront of the court system every day.

If you or your future heffer to be violate your " private
contract" where would you expect the contract dispute to be resolved?

If a contract is broken either party of the contract can seek damages through the legal system.

I square is always rectangle, but a rectangle is not always a square.

I contract is a promise, but a promise is not always a (legally binding) contract.

Right?

oral contract.

I could use one of those.

While you are correct that wedding vows don't make someone "legally" married, wedding vows are an enforceable oral contract.

I don't believe any wedding vows I've ever heard have been specific enough to be upheld in court. Again, I'd like to see a modern example of a case in which wedding vows (alone) were upheld as a contract without utilizing a state's definition of marriage.

I square is always rectangle, but a rectangle is not always a square.

I contract is a promise, but a promise is not always a (legally binding) contract.

Right?

Sorry, a promis is a legally binding oral contract unless entered into under duress

Sorry, a promis is a legally binding oral contract unless entered into under duress

Not if that promise is vague, impossible, or 'illusory'. Again, you could say that all valid contracts are promises, but you can't say that all promises are valid contracts.

When was the last time a US court enforced one of these things:

"To have and to hold"

"To love and obey"

"To cherish and honor through sickness and health, poverty or wealth until death do us part"

All of those things are common oral promises given in religious marriage ceremonies. Are they enforced in divorce courts?
Owned by Remi #?

[replyWedding vows does not make someone legally married, it's that license they get that does that.

While you are correct that wedding vows don't make someone "legally" married, wedding vows are an enforceable oral contract.

So when couples write their own vows, those are legally enforcable? ;)

"Your honor, as you can see in this video she said she'd tell me she loved me every day for the rest of her life. However, 6 months ago, there were 3 separate occasions where she did not. This nullified their marriage and therefore my client is not guilty of infidelity for sleeping with her best friend 2 months later."

:P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

In response let me just compliment you on that Butch avatar!;)

That's a nice FF3 she's got there...

So... intentionally obtuse question: if marriage is a religious thing first and a state institution second, how many divorces involve a church in addition to a courtroom? Can you even do that? I mean, it's one thing to argue and file paperwork, but you just broke a promise to the [wo]man upstairs. Holy shit.

It's my opinion that getting married in church and making a religious ceremony out of the whole ordeal is a feel-good, but essentially meaningless, exercise to the vast majority of heterosexual couples who do so. I think a lot of people in this country a) are Christian, b) go to church on Sundays, and c) treat marriage as a religious thing that you do in a church because that just seems to be what everyone else is doing and they don't want to go against the grain.