JohnRich

Internet "Right to be Forgotten"

News:
Internet 'Right to be Forgotten' debate

Their ranks include a plastic surgeon, a prison guard and a high school principal. All are Spanish, but have little else in common except this: They want old Internet references about them that pop up in Google searches wiped away.

In a case that Google Inc. and privacy experts call a first of its kind, Spain's Data Protection Agency has ordered the search engine giant to remove links to material on about 90 people. The information was published years or even decades ago but is available to anyone via simple searches.

Scores of Spaniards lay claim to a "Right to be Forgotten" because public information once hard to get is now so easy to find on the Internet. Google has decided to challenge the orders and has appealed five cases so far this year to the National Court...
Source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_INTERNET_RIGHT_TO_BE_FORGOTTEN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-20-09-32-05

Should you have the right to remove old internet information about yourself?

You forgot the capitalist way:

Citizens should have the right to pay to have their information removed

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I can not vote in this poll because it is missing the option:

"Citizens have little control over the content of the internet".

Edited to add: recently I have noticed navigating here on dizzy.com has slowed down because every time I navigate from one page or another information is being redirected to 3rd party sites. I once worked on a software project that purposely intercepted HTTP/HTTPS traffic and recorded the requests and content responses. Our product was not intended to be used as "Big Brother" information gathering. It was simply used to help companies assess their servers with accurate load balancing information. But we were still intercepting everything. There was nothing that we were not recording and did not have the ability to play back later. All we needed was to have our servers placed in front of the target servers and the information came to us first, we recorded it and then passed it on to the intended target. People should not be naive here. This has become common practice. There is nothing secret on the net.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

"Citizens have little control over the content of the internet".

The whole idea of this movement is that maybe they SHOULD have some control, in some cases.

Should youthful indiscretions be allowed to haunt you for the rest of your life?

"Indicted on page 1 and acquitted on page 6" is not really a new phenomenon. Google, combined with the way things tend to get syndicated around the internet, just exaggerates the effect. If a negative news story gets out on the internet (whether 100% true or 100% libel) it's futile to try and make everyone run a page 6 story, and going after Google is sort of an "Easy and wrong" fix.

The best way to deal with it*, for example in the instance of the plastic surgeon, would be to include a brief explanation of what happened on your website and link to it from your home page.

* - To be clear, I don't consider the fact that people have to do this a net positive effect of bad journalism. I'm just saying given the nature of the internet this is all you really can do in a shitty situation.

Not sure how this is a google problem, the information about these people is dispersed on many, many different websites that google has no control over. Google is just an aggregator and if they didn't do it I'm sure some other search engine would.

I suppose Google could enable scripting that would allow people to opt out, but then the other people I share my name with probably wouldn't like that so much.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I suppose Google could enable scripting that would allow people to opt out, but then the other people I share my name with probably wouldn't like that so much.

No kidding.
Most of the hits on my name are a doctor, and an artist.
As Joe Rogan's character once said on the TV show "NewsRadio":

"You can't take something off the Internet;
That's like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool!"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Should youthful indiscretions be allowed to haunt you for the rest of your life?

Maybe if they do, youth will be more discreet about their indiscretions.

the history of mankind shows that to be unlikely.

Many keep re-learning that sending a naked pic of yourself by MMS is not going to work out in your favor. As soon as you split up with that SO, it's getting out in the wild.

No kidding.
Most of the hits on my name are a doctor, and an artist.
As Joe Rogan's character once said on the TV show "NewsRadio":

"You can't take something off the Internet;
That's like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool!"

\

There's a very high profile tv producer who shares my name. Plus a lawyer in Jackson, MS--he shares first, middle initial, and last with me. Then there is my uncle, who I'm named after.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Maybe if they do, youth will be more discreet about their indiscretions.

Throughout most of Man's history the majority of people have lived their lives in villages where everyone remembers their youthful indiscretions. I truly believe that the covering up of such things and the insistence on protecting privacy that has never existed in the past helps create the 'gotcha' mentality society adopts towards all our public figures. We need to accept that if you are on the street, at the game (or the strippers), or on the internet, we are in public; we should behave that way.

There's a very high profile tv producer who shares my name. Plus a lawyer in Jackson, MS--he shares first, middle initial, and last with me. Then there is my uncle, who I'm named after.

And then there's Neil Young, who named a song after you.

Does this mean that you see unplanned pregnancy as primarily a punishment for careless sex?

Dang. And here I'd thought that the eventual production of a new human being to nurture should be the focus.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I looked at your profile; you have no name. Clint Eastwood played you in a movie. Now how badass is that? :ph34r:

Wendy P.

Does this mean that you see unplanned pregnancy as primarily a punishment for careless sex?

Dang. And here I'd thought that the eventual production of a new human being to nurture should be the focus.

Wendy P.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I just asked a question. I made no statement of my position on anything. Bored today?