JohnRich

Internet "Right to be Forgotten"

I think I should have a right to script in google so that any possible bad information about my disappears, while the information favorable to my reputation remains.

And does Blagojevich have the same right? Gadaffi?

No, or at least not to the same extent as you or me, because they chose to make themselves public figures.

FYI, my opinion is influenced by my understanding of the concept of "public figure" in defamation law. Imperfect analogy; but you see what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_figure

I think I should have a right to script in google so that any possible bad information about my disappears, while the information favorable to my reputation remains.

No, or at least not to the same extent as you or me, because they chose to make themselves public figures.

FYI, my opinion is influenced by my understanding of the concept of "public figure" in defamation law. Imperfect analogy; but you see what I mean:

The nuances of this concept as a legal distinction between people I find both fascinating and disturbing. I have never been comfortable with the press's immunity(ish) wrt libel and defamation.

The nuances of this concept as a legal distinction between people I find both fascinating and disturbing. I have never been comfortable with the press's immunity(ish) wrt libel and defamation.

The press has no immunity, either actually or practically, for defamation. If the press publishes something that is demonstrably false about a person, even a public figure, and thereby damages that person's reputation, it is liable for defamation. Sometimes it takes a libel trial to sort it out, but that's how it works.

The press has no immunity, either actually or practically, for defamation. If the press publishes something that is demonstrably false about a person, even a public figure, and thereby damages that person's reputation, it is liable for defamation. Sometimes it takes a libel trial to sort it out, but that's how it works.

The tabloids have been printing demonstrably false stuff about Brangolina since they got married. I can't see how it's been good for their reputation. The same situation repeats for constant other celebrities. The only defense I can see being offered is that only idiots believe those newspapers are factual.