JohnRich

School bans bag lunches from home

News:
Chicago school bans some lunches brought from home

At the Little Village Academy public school on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices...

Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch...
Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/ct-met-school-lunch-restrictions-041120110410,0,4567867.story

Bad policy. Parents have the right to serve their kids the lunch they want them to have, and the principal has no business overriding that. The principal should stick to education, and not take the kid's chosen lunch food away from them.

By taking away their home lunches, instead of the kids having a lunch they like and will eat every day, they'll be stuck with a cafeteria meal that they may or may not like, and will end up going hungry some days.

>The principal should stick to education . . .

Education requires a specific environment. Bullying, food, hallway behavior, classroom behavior etc all plays into it.

That being said, banning bag lunches is a dumb move unless there's a clear risk from them - and from the article it sounds like there isn't.

News:

At the Little Village Academy public school on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices...

Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch...
Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/ct-met-school-lunch-restrictions-041120110410,0,4567867.story

Bad policy. Parents have the right to serve their kids the lunch they want them to have, and the principal has no business overriding that. The principal should stick to education, and not take the kid's chosen lunch food away from them.

By taking away their home lunches, instead of the kids having a lunch they like and will eat every day, they'll be stuck with a cafeteria meal that they may or may not like, and will end up going hungry some days.

It's about the money ----> .

News:

just call dcfs when they won't let you eat your bag lunch. last I was told is that it is abuse to not let a kid eat lunch.

I pack my daughter's lunch every single day. I've seen the food they serve in the school. I wouldn't eat it so why should my daughter have to. If she couldn't bring her lunch, the school lunch would just get thrown in the garbage and she would come home starving everyday. The lunch I send her is healthier than what they serve there.

The article says it's about nutrition, I kind of doubt that. But even if it is, I think that is kind of overstepping their bounds. Parents should be able to choose what their kids eat. Sure, there will be some parents who make bad choices.

Unless there is some type of risk factor for bringing outside food into the school then this is a bad policy.

[Reply]It's about the money ---->

Bingo! Schools that don't sell lunches to everybody lose out on funding - both from the parents who better be able to afford it and from the government assistance for school lunches.

Nutrition? It's a happy excuse. And turns the debate to nutrition and obesity.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Obviously, the highly processed reconstituted slop is far more nutritious than the real food I would choose.
[/sarcasm]

If they are going to force the children to eat it, I think all staff and faculty should be required to eat it as well. If the principal thinks it's so good for everyone that they should be required to eat it, she should too. I'm a big fan of forcing others to live by the guidelines they would force on us. For some reason, they generally don't like that idea.

Things that make you go "hmmmm."
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

>Nutrition? It's a happy excuse. And turns the debate to nutrition and obesity.

Easy solution then. Choose a sugary school lunch, take a few pictures and have a dietitian evaluate it (nutrition, calories, glycemic index etc.) Then have the dietitian create a bag lunch specifically to provide good nutrition and combat obesity. Have her write a letter saying that the bag lunch was necessary to protect kids from the risks of obesity posed by school food. Copy it and hand it out to everyone.

Bad policy. Parents have the right to serve their kids the lunch they want them to have,

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. So, you care enough to fix a healthy, filling lunch for your child. Not all parents do. Why should YOUR child get that preferential treatment and unfair advantage. We must be equal!
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Yep. I don't remember where I saw it. There is a national corporation which lands contracts to supply many public school cafeterias. The quality of the "Food" is atrocious. It's big business. The documentary I saw it in was chronicling the negative health effects on the children. They documented negative behavioral effects, as well. Is the principle getting a kickback?

You can't be trusted to raise your children...you need the government to teach them about sex, religion and to feed them properly. It is, afterall, a brave new world...
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Anyone watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution tonight? The topic was school food. Ever heard of "Pink Slime"? It is what is in the meat at your child's school. It is also in the meat at fast food restaurants, grocery stores, and pet food. What is it? Read up. Freaking disgusting.
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/pinkslime-ammonia-ground-beef.html
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Soylent Pink?

:D

Might as well be. I've never heard of the stuff until Jamie Oliver showed it on his show. I had to do a little research to know more about this stuff. Seems much of it is the worst parts of the animal. Much of it infected with E. Coli. Not to worry, the slime is washed with ammonia. Mmmmm, ammonia.
Neil Young

Anyone watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution tonight? The topic was school food. Ever heard of "Pink Slime"? It is what is in the meat at your child's school. It is also in the meat at fast food restaurants, grocery stores, and pet food. What is it? Read up. Freaking disgusting.
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/pinkslime-ammonia-ground-beef.html

slightly alarmist writing style (BPI produces only 1.3% of the beef Americans consume), but it is pretty funny looking at BPI's web page, esp the FAQ defending the use of ammonia.

I am happy to be in a place where I can buy non Cargill beef from multiple smaller producers, grass fed and all that stuff. It's not terribly expensive.

(BPI produces only 1.3% of the beef Americans consume)

According to BPI, their product is in most of the ground beef we eat. Just the fact that the trimmings are swept up off of the slaughter house floor is disgusting enough.

From BPI's website
BPI's products are found in the majority of all ground beef produced in the United States. Current production of over 7 million pounds per week, makes BPI the world's largest manufacturer of boneless lean beef in the world. Eating a hamburger from a Quick Service Restaurant or buying ground beef from your local retailer, the chances are you'll be eating product produced by BPI.
Neil Young

(BPI produces only 1.3% of the beef Americans consume)

According to BPI, their product is in most of the ground beef we eat. Just the fact that the trimmings are swept up off of the slaughter house floor is disgusting enough.

From BPI's website
BPI's products are found in the majority of all ground beef produced in the United States. Current production of over 7 million pounds per week, makes BPI the world's largest manufacturer of boneless lean beef in the world. Eating a hamburger from a Quick Service Restaurant or buying ground beef from your local retailer, the chances are you'll be eating product produced by BPI.

just a bit of marketing hype in that. 350 million pounds of beef sounds like a lot, but there's 310 million Americans. Who average eating 80+ pounds of beef (all types) per year. While any amount of this stuff 'taints' the burger, exposure is generally about quantity. The more bad beef you consume, the more likely it gets you. This filler is 5-15% of the burger.

At the grocery store, the big pack of frozen patties is probably the suspect one (I would like to see labeling requirements).

As for fast food, In n Out is a safe bet here.