winsor

It's the End of the World as we know it

was funny in the article about the diet-thing; what's the point!?

We all want to look good for Jesus!

You wouldn't want an ugly bride, would you?

are you saying you're getting married to a dude!? way to go for a coming-out! :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

so I should plan a vacation day for then?

I'm sure the company will provide a paid day off for the end of the world. You should not waste vacation time.

I hope there is a restaurant at the end of the universe.

better bring a towel, too! :D

I'm catching a ride with the dolphins. So long and thanks for all the fish.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Just out of interest I looked at the (ahem) reasoning behind their predictions...

"Because of the importance and wonder of this proof we will take time to develop it. First we must learn that we can develop with perfect precision the number of days from one date to another. To obtain the precise number of days from a moment in one year to the same moment in any other year we must realize that astronomers have long ago discovered that there are 365.2422 days in a complete year. That is why in our modern calendar there are 365 days in each of three consecutive years. However, every fourth year has 366 days. This is done by adding an extra day in February of that year. Thus the average year for the four years becomes 365.25 days. But .25 is greater than .2422, so every 128 years a day is dropped from the calendar to maintain accuracy.

Thus all we have to do is multiply the number of years separating two events by the number 365.2422 to know the exact number of days between them. So from April 1, 33 A.D. to April 1, 2011 there are exactly 2011 – 33 = 1,978 years, each having 365.2422 days. This equals 722,449.07 days. From April 1, 2011 to May 21, 2011 inclusively (including the first day and the last day) are 51 days. Adding these 51 days to the number 722,449.07 gives us exactly 722,500.07 days, from April 1, 33 A.D. to May 21, 2011 inclusively. This number is enormously significant. Presently we will see why this is so.
"

I seem to remember Bill Cole was obsessed with counting the numbers of WORDS and DAYS. Turns out his fellow crackpots have the same disorder.

They're like big bunch of autistic savants, except with 'savant' replaced by 'idiot'.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think I can buy us more time, He's a pretty reasonable guy believe it or not.

Not if you keep calling her a guy!!

she's a flaming feminist, isnt she!? :D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

are you saying you're getting married to a dude!? way to go for a coming-out!

I always thought I'd make a good homosexual if it wasn't for the whole butt sex thing...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

So you scoff at these Christians?

2 Peter 3:3-4: knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.”

And there will be no signs beforehand you say?

Luke 21:25-26:A nd there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men’s hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

I always get a kick out of one sect saying another sect is full of "idiots and freaks" when they themselves believe the same things.

"Sure, I believe that insects with little crowns will descend upon humanity to vex them, and Jesus will reappear as a rotting goat - but in May? That's just crazy."

"Sure, I believe that insects with little crowns will descend upon humanity to vex them, and Jesus will reappear as a rotting goat - but in May? That's just crazy."

Of course it's crazy. Anybody with a lick of sense knows it will happen in October. :S

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I wish there was some way to make some money off of these morons.;)

I don't feel comfortable calling them morons, but I think the following selection is relevant to your point:

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires

Though I don't blame my recent backsliding escapade on anyone but myself, not being able to find a Church that explains the Bible as best as possible had certainly contributed.

I've found my self going to church and just rolling my eyes at lame jokes and blashpemous ignorant statements like how "the devil is a chump."

I't like the preacher never read 2 Peter.

I'm sick of it...I shouldn't have to move to Florida of California to find a good teacher!

I always get a kick out of one sect saying another sect is full of "idiots and freaks" when they themselves believe the same things.

Sorry, most christians don't believe in numerology.

Sorry, most christians don't believe in numerology.

I find it amazing that people can view themselves as such connoisseurs of fairy tales, where some gibberish is approved ("it's all a big mystery!") and other equally nonsensical dreck is not ("why, that's ridiculous!").

Monty Pythons version was reasonably funny - but at least they knew they were being absurd. People who adhere to patent absurdity in all seriousness are kind of scary; where do they draw the line between the rational and irrational, since they are grounded in the irrational?

Since we hold dear all manner of superstition and stupidity, we are as screwed as the whackos claim - but for entirely different reasons.

BSBD,

Winsor

where do they draw the line between the rational and irrational, since they are grounded in the irrational?

The Bible gives me all the "irrationality" that I need...no reason to add to it if you call yourself a christian.

I always thought I'd make a good homosexual if it wasn't for the whole butt sex thing...

Tis better to give then receive!!!:o
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Tis better to give then receive!!!:o

that is so CHRISTIAN of you!!!

:D:D:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

The end times predictors usually point to things in the BOoks of Revelation and Daniel.

The Catholic as well as many mainline Protestants take a more sober, scholarly view of the Bible. Daniel actually refers to Antiochus IV, and Revelation refers to Caesar Nero and events of the first century.

The more "woo woo" extremist/fundy Christians tend to be the ones who try to make these books into supermarket-tabloid style psychic predictions, usiing either a misinterpretation of symbols, or numerology or hidden codes.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It’s Jeffrey Dahmers birthday… coincidence..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

Dahmer served his time at the Columbia Correctional Institution in Portage, Wisconsin, where he ultimately declared himself a born-again Christian

didnt RonD1120 point out not too long ago that once you gave yourself in the hands of JESUS, you would be saved!?

only nutters are born-again christians, and that guy is the prove of that.

if there should be heaven, i'd rather live in hell.. nicer company there!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

The Catholic as well as many mainline Protestants take a more sober, scholarly view of the Bible.

Yeah, I think that's what Winsor was talking about...

I find it amazing that people can view themselves as such connoisseurs of fairy tales, where some gibberish is approved ("it's all a big mystery!") and other equally nonsensical dreck is not ("why, that's ridiculous!").

The Catholic as well as many mainline Protestants take a more sober, scholarly view of the Bible.

Ya, like dark matter.

I don't think its arbitrary to point out that Revelations and Daniel can be understood from a historical context, rather than trying to twist them into psychic predictions.

If you're over here, the point is over there.

Ya, like dark matter.

yea, like the earth being the center of the universe; the religious folks havent learned from the mistakes they already done in the past it seems. i was thinking you were more clever than that. guess i was wrong..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Exactly. While recently visiting the USA to meet my newborn niece, her mother pointed out that she has to be baptised. I asked why and she said tt she had been told by her parents that otherwise she would go to hell. This dissapointed me as if i'm wrong and heaven and hell do exist then I will not be spending eternity with my niece. I and all my close friends will be going to hell. I actually want to : warmer, less boring, all my friends will be there.

These end of the world nutters should have their kids confiscated. Like all religious loonies, they are infecting their babaies with a virus of the mind and that is simple child abuse. Whether its mild at sunday school, or taliban or these nutters, its all the same. why would you destroy your babies mind with a fairy tale? Because you are a coward. Or stupid. Or mad. or all three. How unusal would it be if you told a friend that your kids were " little republicans " ? Why is it ok to indoctrinate your kids with bullshit religion, but not polititcs.... ? at least one is REAL