ridestrong

Obama applauds Eagles for giving Vick second chance

Yes "Everyone" is a rather broad brush. As with any general statement there are understandably exceptions. Manson and Ridgeway come to mind, but while I respect you opinion and will defend your right to have it, Vick falls into my second chance club. As to the light sentence, that is above my pay grade.

But you are OK then with him having part in murdering his and others dogs then?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yes "Everyone" is a rather broad brush. As with any general statement there are understandably exceptions. Manson and Ridgeway come to mind, but while I respect you opinion and will defend your right to have it, Vick falls into my second chance club. As to the light sentence, that is above my pay grade.

No. But he was tried, convicted and punished for the crimes he committed. And AFAIK, he is still on supervision (parole/probation) and is a convicted felon with all the baggage that includes.

I think that the sentence was a little light, but that's not my decision.

He is saying and doing all the right things. He has apparently learned from his mistakes. And yes, I call them mistakes. He grew up in a culture where that sort of behavior is acceptable. He didn't realize that he wasn't in that culture anymore although he should have. Search "dogfighting" to find out how widespread that horrible practice is.

He is under a bright enough spotlight that any further transgressions will not stay hidden.

If he is sincere and genuine in his rehabilitation, he does deserve his second chance.

If not, I believe he will pay the price. The American public is great on 2nd chances, but not so much on 3rd ones.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No. But he was tried, convicted and punished for the crimes he committed. And AFAIK, he is still on supervision (parole/probation) and is a convicted felon with all the baggage that includes.

I think that the sentence was a little light, but that's not my decision.

He is saying and doing all the right things. He has apparently learned from his mistakes. And yes, I call them mistakes. He grew up in a culture where that sort of behavior is acceptable. He didn't realize that he wasn't in that culture anymore although he should have. Search "dogfighting" to find out how widespread that horrible practice is.

He is under a bright enough spotlight that any further transgressions will not stay hidden.

If he is sincere and genuine in his rehabilitation, he does deserve his second chance.

If not, I believe he will pay the price. The American public is great on 2nd chances, but not so much on 3rd ones.

"Everyone" just kinda blows off the fact that his sentence was at least 50% less than the average joe's conviction sentence. It reminds me of the OJ trial where money bought his freedom. It disgusts me.

People should stand up and demand at LEAST equal punishment for equal crime.

If you are in a position where you are pillar in the community, or where children could look up to you and want to be like you, the punishment should be many times greater than what the average criminal is dealt. THAT would send a message.

Second Chance - fine - give him his second chance when he can bring back the lives of all the animals he had part in killing.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

If you want to talk about equal punishment. Vick lost millions of dollars when he got busted. Most people that commit the crimes he committed dont lose money like that.

I was a Vick fan. Actually had just bought a pair of new Nikes with his name all over them when he got busted. I stopped wearing them.

He has impressed me though. He did not whine and complain and play the "poor me" card when he got busted. Took it like a man and seems to be really doing the right things now. I think he is actually a shining example of how to make a mistake, except the punishment and move on with your life in a positive manner. I just hope he keeps it up.
Dom

If you want to talk about equal punishment. Vick lost millions of dollars when he got busted. Most people that commit the crimes he committed dont lose money like that.

I was a Vick fan. Actually had just bought a pair of new Nikes with his name all over them when he got busted. I stopped wearing them.

He has impressed me though. He did not whine and complain and play the "poor me" card when he got busted. Took it like a man and seems to be really doing the right things now. I think he is actually a shining example of how to make a mistake, except the punishment and move on with your life in a positive manner. I just hope he keeps it up.

The amount is relative to his financial state at the time. Percentages (assumed) seem to be about the same. Did he lose his house? Would John Q Public lose theirs if the situation was at the same ratio?

I do agree with you, he has taken it like he should have - but his sentence and punishment are too light. The regular Joe would hve had to endure much more.

I don't see it as a "shining example" when you do half the sentence that others would have because you still have so much of this millions that he lost to spend on his defence.

Killing an animal is not murder. Murder is reserved for humans.

That being said, Vick is still an asshole, for doing what he did and thinking that his societal status put him above the law.

BTW, I just put 3/4 of a murdered wild hog and 1/4 of a murdered deer into my freezer, this week.

Killing an animal is not murder. Murder is reserved for humans.

You obviously have never spent quality time with a dog.

I know many dogs that are more intelligent, more sentient, more reasonable, and much MUCH smarter than a lot of humans I know.

Everyone" just kinda blows off the fact that his sentence was at least 50% less than the average joe's conviction sentence. It reminds me of the OJ trial where money bought his freedom. It disgusts me.

If you are in a position where you are pillar in the community, or where children could look up to you and want to be like you, the punishment should be many times greater than what the average criminal is dealt. THAT would send a message.

Funny shit.

In the same post you get pissed about the non-equal treatment and then you propose non-equal treatment.

Everyone" just kinda blows off the fact that his sentence was at least 50% less than the average joe's conviction sentence. It reminds me of the OJ trial where money bought his freedom. It disgusts me.

Funny shit.

In the same post you get pissed about the non-equal treatment and then you propose non-equal treatment.

Examples must be made some time - do you disagree?

Funny shit.

You have to forgive our poor little reptile... hs is suffering from severe ODS.

Is turtle soup murder? Discuss.

Turtle soup is not murder - It is a dish served with a nice light white wine.

The death of the turtle is considered murder in some places.

I don't think Vick should have been given such a light sentence.

sure that's a valid opinion

He should be banned from the NFL.

Why should professional sports teams have anything to do with enforcing or appending to issues involving illegal actions?

I'm not a fan of vigilantism.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Why should professional sports teams have anything to do with enforcing or appending to issues involving illegal actions?

many NFL teams play in facilities paid for by hundreds of millions in public bonds. And many a team has held its city hostage, threatening to leave without such subsidies. (And then there is Al Davis)

many NFL teams play in facilities paid for by hundreds of millions in public bonds. And many a team has held its city hostage, threatening to leave without such subsidies. (And then there is Al Davis)

You can keep him:ph34r:

He is saying and doing all the right things.

Well... he does somehow think that he should be able to have a dog again, even though he would be breaking his sentence to do so. I'm not saying he shouldn't get a second chance, I'm just saying he's still a total douche in my book. :D
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

What business is it of the POTUS? .... Can he possibly cheapen the office any more than he already has (rhetorical question...)? Is this his cowardly way of admitting that he can't do anything useful?

You really are quite young, aren't you?
Every president does this. See my post above.

Hi Counselor,
No, I'm not (quite) young, anymore. Bush (both of 'em, actually) are both jackwagons, too. I fail to see how congratulating the Super Bowl winners, is the same as playing race politics so blatantly. When I combine this w/his phishing for the female voters on The View. I see a new low point has been reached. If you're in a mood to argue politics w/me. Save your typewritten breath. I feel he's a disgrace. My feelings about him are not going to change.

I never said I was OK with his part in the pit bull 'murder'. I was sickened by it. I am not a fan of Vick or Eagles. My only statement is that I was glad the Eagles gave him a second chance. I said 'everyone' deserves a second chance. I allowed for a few exceptions. If at some point in the future Vick shows himself to not have changed and learned, throw away the key.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672